PEOPLE. Get a GRIP!

To be fair, if you are one of the users stuck on that screen, that’s a pretty big deal. I’d like to see the back of it too, as it serves no purpose as far as I can see.

Wow… I spent way too many hours playing F117 … when I used to be able to stay awake most of the night and still work most of the day.

2 Likes

Stuck is different to not liking having to press a key - edited my post above

1 Like

Kind of the point of my post.

1 Like

I‘d use the term simplified. Doesn‘t sound so harsh :wink:

2 Likes

Or… you could say that people like me were fully aware that this was a work in progress (e.g. the „10 years support“ had been announced weeks before the release) and they paid the full „premium deluxe price“ for exactly this reason: to „properly fund this project“.

Just sayin‘ :slight_smile:

1 Like

Woha… those were the days :slight_smile: The days were my nickname „Steeler“ was „invented“ by me. As a (non English speaking) kid I didn‘t even know whether „Steeler“ was a proper noun or name - it just sounded cool :sunglasses:.

Nowadays I am using another nickname (on Steam), but the „Xbox account“ wouldn‘t let me choose it (it is nothing obscene IMHO, but yes, it contains an F-word, followed by „Up“ - an homage to a German hacker in the 80s or 90ies who committed suicide under, say, „mysterious circumstances“ and who used the same nickname - especially as a noob shooter player I think it is an appropriate nickname, but oh well :man_shrugging:t3:)

" * the trees at the end of my local runway are too high"

Actually that particular complaint is justified if realism is the aim of the game. Obstacles on a flight path should be accurately modelled.

2 Likes

Yeah, but it‘s on the same scale like you received an entire, fully working Jumbo jet for like 300‘000 dollars, with free paint jobs and custom wheels to come, and now you‘re complaining that the colour of the napkins in the board kitchen does not match with the colour of the first class seats - on day one (plus, you go berserk and threaten the company with a class action lawsuit. Seriously, I‘ve seen one poster just doing that somewhere here in the forum… go figure).

Again, it is absolutely fine if you calmly state your observation and create a Zendesk issue. Just don‘t expect the tree size close to your „Because I Live Here!“ airport to get high priority - after all, trees are automatically placed, not manually. And Asobo already announced improvements in their „world-generating“ algorithms. And mind you: tweaking one „tree size“ input parameter may break stuff elsewhere! And btw it takes two full weeks to re-calculate the entire world.

The point is: generating the world is a complicated matter. And we should just all be a bit in awe for a moment about what we just received: the entire world!

And issue reports - and especially opinions here on this forum - should be formulated with this context in mind, IMHO. That is, I believe, what the OP was talking about (and I join in into this sentiment). Especially also considering that we are still at the very beginning of what could become (and already is, IMHO) the most exciting development in simulation and gaming in general!

But yeah, that tree over there is a bit too tall and a bit too far to the left, you‘re absolutely correct :wink:

4 Likes

Yeah that’s a fair point and you are right, it has huge potential moving forward, we just have to give it time.

I think getting the SDK documentation and the quality of the addon tooling to a decent quality would mitigate almost all issues like this. Users could just go into the editor and fix things for their favourite regions themselves. Tools that enable crowd sourcing like this is a powerful thing :slight_smile:

Here’s another way to think about this. Microsoft used Azure AI technology to help generate terrain detail on such a massive scale right? Damned impressive. Now think what it means if you give customers decent tools to contribute to the scenery. That’s thousands upon thousands of Human A.I (Actual Intelligence) improving on your data :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I believe that most „terrain/building/landmark“ fixes will come from the community in the end.

MS and Asobo already announced upcoming terrain improvements, based on updates in the Bing Map data itself. Also, the „AI“ („terrain generation“) will probably become smarter, too. I even do believe that MS is analysing our flying patterns and will update their Bing Map data accordingly (a nice side-effect of the Flight Simulator for them :wink:).

But I wouldn‘t hold my breath that each and every single city gets „photogrammetry data“, nor that every single landmark will ever be represented by handcrafted models… unless some „crowd-modelling“ kicks in.

„Minimum viable product“ - unfortunately that is a term that I have heard all too often as well :smirk:

On the other hand modern software development trends towards „release early and often“. Goes along with the „as a service“ trend.

1 Like

Seriously? That‘s what this thread was all about?! :joy: And I thought some people got stuck or so after pressing a key…

Reminds me of a very old joke: „Which one is the ANY key?!“ :rofl:

1 Like

Yes! That’s absolutely what this thread is about. Also about the people who just complain and do nothing about it.

The best a person can do is to discuss the issues here like a reasonable person and file a zendesk ticket so devs can actually do something about it.

3 Likes

Hi there, „gamer“ (and „Falcon 3.0 veteran“) here: in fact, I purchased FS 2020 also for the reason because I expected it to have a vocal „flight simmer community“ behind it which would push its realism level to the max (hopefully). We are not yet there yet, we all know that.

But with the „extended gaming community“ the additional funding might just get us there.

Yippee, got it to go at last; no fps issues though my PC is not the newest out there. And finally got round the joystick issues. So got pedals, stick and throttle and my TrackIR working.

there are some unfortunate bugs in the scenery and still need to get every control set up somehow. But at least I can fly the plane now: well the Cessna stuff. I’m not even going to attempt anything more complex till I can sort the controls out 100%.

I couldn’t find my house though I could find my road; and the road at the end of mine is apparently a river along which I could see a white van driving (yeah that’s white van man for you; can go anywhere). Lol. Do have a big question I hope somebody can help with; For the life of me I can’t start Cold and Dark; how do you set it up to let you start realistically please?

Just pick a starting point that isn’t a runway, so parking spot, ramp etc

This is true if we’re talking only about well-hidden software bugs that only come to light when it gets in the hands of thousands and thousands of customers. What’s not so forgivable are broken bits that should clearly have been caught with even the most rudimentary of quality control, and possibly even highlighted by testers during beta, but were not fixed before RTM purely because they didn’t have time to fix it in a “we’ll see about sorting it out later” business model.

We’ll likely never get an answer to that one. Reading between the lines, I think a lot of the issues we currently see were likely raised, but priorities led them not to be fixed. Oh, to be a fly on the wall at Asobo studios.

3 Likes