Performance Decrease when Using Pop-Out Panels

It is - but once you start using separate displays for the instruments you’ll never go back! Nothing beats using trackir and still being able to just move your eyes to the instruments without moving the view outside . I suffer the fps hit for me the trade is worth it. If enough of us can get asobos attention hopefully we will get a fix!

2 Likes

For sure. I get 60fps anyway so a hit 10 fps won’t hurt too much.

So I finally opened up dev mode with frame rate counter. Did it in the TBM, popped out the MFD and PFD:

If I just simply alt+enter and maximize both instruments within the single main window on my instrument monitor my frames are bouncing around 40-45fps depending on location

If I pop them out into two separate windows, and move them to my instrument monitor, I get dropped all the way to 30-33 fps.
Repeatable and consistent.
Ugh I really hope this can be addressed in a future update.

1 Like

Considering Asobo is paying Working Title to improve the G1000 to almost replicate the real one it would be a shame not being able to use it as the real one. I have not heard anything official about this massive problem. It would be such a relieve to know they are working on it. I do not trust answers like the multimonitor functionality will solve this bug. I would rather like to see it specifically being dealed with.
I am getting FPS as low as 15 with both PFD and MFD on my physical G1000 making it unflyable. Without popouts my FPS in an area like NYC is around 45. But I rather do not use the G1000 at all if a mouse is needed to control it. This is contradicting Working Titles fantastic efforts because it were real world pilots having asked for a realistic G1000 in the first place who are now being hindered of using it.

They also don’t scale well. Serious tearing and bluring of textures when popped out. I too fly with these popped out, and frame rate hit is quite large. GPU usage drops ~30% when they are popped out as well.

I suspect this will get solved with multi monitor support. We should expect some performance impact from multi screen, but the avionics should not be demanding that much in terms of resources. They are also considered web browsers apparently, and performance is hampered by various things related to them being formatted that way. Came up in an interview about the xbox release:

Don’t recall the time-stamp.

1 Like

If the avionics are actually web browsers, could it be possible to have them computed on a networked PC? That would be fantastic and solve the issue.

The time stamp where this discussion starts is ~3:30 in.

1 Like

This entire video is very eye opening in terms of all the texture and performance issues we’ve seen on PC post SU5.

Textures : Ground textures are ■■■■ now.
Performance: Stutters are worse then they have ever been when panning around quickly (TrackIR) or snapping left/right.

Hi community!

since the SU05 Update the sim has become unusable for me. As soon as I export the cockpit screens for my homecockpit setup, my frames drop below 10 fps! This wasn’t the case before the update. Everything worked just fine. I tried reducing the graphics settings, no change. Using different glass cockpit planes, no change. Reinstalling the nvida drivers (clean), no change. Using older versions of the drivers, no change. Reinstalling the sim, no change. … I don’t know what else to do. Did anyone experience the same issue and knows how to fix it? If so I’d be really thankful for any help to solve the problem and get back to flying again…

My specs: Ryzen 7 3800xt CPU, RTX 2080ti graphics card, 32GB 3200 DDR4 RAM, M2 HDD for the sim. Main Viewscreen: 34+27" @ fullHD, Cockpit screens: 15,6" + 19" Screens

Got steady 60 fps cruising on ultra settings FBW A320NX.
Noticed that when moving the ATC window to my secondary monitor, the GPU went from 98-99% to about 55%, fps drops back from 60 to +30.
Just a heads up if someone else experiences sudden drops in fps/gpu

I’m experiencing this issue too. And since SU05 it’s gotten worse. As soon as I pop out the displays of the glass cockpit (tried various aircraft) and export them to my homecockpit monitors, the sim is completely unflyable. 10 fps or even less!! That’s more than just upsetting :rage:
Maximizing the exported screens is no good for me since I’m using two displays per each monitor (I.e. A320 pfd/ND as well as eicas 1/2.

I have found it depends on which plane I am using. I have to pop mine out because the resolution is pretty bad in cockpit and I can’t read the MFD that well. I still get 60 fps except for the B350 then it drops to 35 fps.

So I just did a little experiment and recorded the results. I have potentially good news for you if you happen to have a second GPU to connect secondary monitors for your pop-out panels.

The TLDR is that by connecting my secondary monitor to a secondary GPU, I was able to recover most of the lost performance from using a pop out panel.

1 Like

I use my motherboard’s integrated video hardware to just drive the fourth monitor that has my instruments on it - unfortunately I still have the heavy frame hit doing so.
As far as actually installing another nvidia gpu I haven’t tried however.

2 Likes

Hmm, I guess that means you’ve got more than one pop-out panel on the fourth monitor. For me, it only got better when I made the panel full screen on the second monitor, which wouldn’t work for you if you’ve got several panels.

I used to suffer with the same problem - if it’s the same as mine you’re not taking about the normal FPS drop of 10-20 fps from popping out windows but the frame rate just totally drops to a fixed 10fps (is actually less than 10 but msfs frame counter is limited to 10).

Could be running 60+ fps and pop out a single PFD and instant tank to 10fps.

I was convinced i had a faulty graphics card and ended up getting a new 3080 TI and nearly collapsed when the same thing happened again.

occasionally it would be fine and eventually after a lot of trial and error i worked out the culprit.

It was the EVGA Precision X1 software that caused it. If i closed that things ran fine with the normal 10 to 20 fps drop from pop outs but not the tank to 10.

So if you’re using EVGA precision then eliminate that and see if it fixes for you too. if not maybe another GPU related or frame counter software. or just stop everything running and try and work out if anything is causing your issue too.

Hope that helps.

1 Like

Unfortunately, I was not able to reproduce this result with a 2080 and 1070. There’s no change (as in, recovery) to my frame rate using a secondary GPU dragging a single pop up instrument (I also tried a 530) and sending it to fullscreen. Switching to fullscreen on the other monitor has no effect on my frame rate. I remain in the high 20s / low 30s, whereas without a pop-out, I’m hitting mid 40s.

My normal setup has my 2 secondary touch screens running off a USB4 to HDMI adapter. My result using this or a 1070 is identical.

2 Likes

Frame rate dropping 10-15 fps when you pop out your first window is “normal” in the sim, unfortunately. It shouldn’t be, but since this is a PC-only problem that’s only really seen by a small number of users, I don’t expect we’ll get much attention for quite some time.

However, if your frame rate is dropping to 10 fps or below, it sounds like you either:

a. Have v-sync enabled in the sim, likely at 30 fps

b. have FPS limiting enabled in your nVidia control panel.

ANY type of frame rate limiting, be it in sim or out, does NOT play well with the sim when you pop out windows. It will drop your frame rate into unplayable territory instantly.

So if you’re locked at 30 fps and have a PFD and MFD popped out, your frame rate gets divided across all 3 of those windows, resulting in a 10-ish fps rate.

And locking v-sync at 60 for some reason does nothing. As soon as the sim sees locked v-sync at 30 or 60, it locks it at 30 when you pop out windows.

1 Like

I still get a big fps drop as well when I pop out a window even when I’ve connected the secondary monitor to my Intel iGPU through the motherboard and the primary is on my RTX 3070.

This is still an issue that not many seem to have recognised. This caused me an hour of grief looking for the cause. I was convinced it had to be a new Ipad app I had installed.
Air manager works fine for external screens, but it is a B ache to find out which instruments work with which plane. It would be so much easier if this one could get fixed, because all most want it a Garmin style console dragging from the cockpit anyways. It is a huge feature of MSFS wasted.

1 Like