Performance Degradation with 1.14.5.0. Upgrade

I got a response from Asobo - says they are tracking the issue and to reduce render scaling from 100 to 80, obviously as a temporary work-around or alleviation of the problem.

Please note they have other issues going on as well - apparenly per the Boarding Area podcast there are FMS and CTD issues (wouldn’t know … rarely use FMS and don’t fly airliners).

Have had exactly the same experiemce between Avon Lane airstrip (between Bath & Bristol, UK) and Clutton Hill farmstrip 5 miles away. Setting out from Avon Lane drops frames from 40fps to 16fps (always the same rates) with slide show style stutters. Three miles out, FPS bounces back to 40 and stutters disappear. Do a 180 at Clutton Hill and head back and they drop away again anywhere from three to 1.6 miles out from Avon Lane. Reproduces every flight regardless of aircraft.

No mods loaded and do not use rolling cache so nothing stored there.

Oddly, in my case the problem seems to be confined to places I flew after WU3 (Inc EGKB, LGRP, EGCK, EGOV) but that might just be a coincidence…

i5 4690k
GTX1060 6gb
32gb RAM
M2 SSD
Latest Nvidia drivers
Windows 10 fully updated
FS2020 settings high and otherwise able to run 40fps smoothly

The official response is here:

1 Like

Maybe some are the odd ones out but I’m still getting the same FPS and smoothness as Ive always had. The difference being that I’ve not bloated my community folder with 1000’s of liveries and untested mods

1 Like

And who are you implying has done that?

1 Like

Nothing in my community folder. Completely stock and I’m seeing the significant fps issue.

1 Like

Nothing in my community folder. Who are referring to?

Just throwing my hat in the ring here.

i7 9700k
32GB Ram
Nvidia 3080
SSDs, NVMEs all round

Oculus Quest 2

I can fly around my home airport doing touch and go’s and all is well. Then I fly out and there seems to be a magic line that once I cross my machine start to stutter. I hear it in the sound and see it in the graphics. Ive not managed to push through the stutters so not sure if it stops at a certain point - I am not a qualified tester so would not know what to look for in order to quantify what I am seeing.

Same issue as everyone, i noticed that high clouds cause the frames to drop to 20’s, they should REALLY start focusing on performance than pretty bing maps for France. Because it’s no good if we can’t fly. It seems that every update is considerably worse and micro stutters especially in VR is annoying.

Don’t get me wrong this game is brilliant, but things that kill the emersion is the bad optimisation of the CPU and GPU. One of the things i have noticed is turning off reflections, setting trees and grass to low, and the textures for roads and oceans to either medium or low gives really good results at around 12000 feet frames can be between 25-30 fps i have even seen 35fps on VR with render scale set to 80%.

Doesn’t solve the issue, and if they tried it… would quickly discover it’s no cure

So in other words… we wrecked the sim, we know it, but listen tiny customer, were in no hurry to get it running properly again.

5 Likes

What I think is best to do at this point is for the forum mods (who clearly follow this thread) to re-assure us all that they have at least brought up this topic with the devs.

The no-communication policy is what adds to the situation and is utterly unnecessary.

For me if they acknowledge a mistake or flaw even saying it may take them however long to fix is soooooo much better than silence. They should probably consult with a public relations person.

6 Likes

They are aware it’s a bit hidden click the hamburger menu top right and select “Community Posts”.

They are basically deciding if they want to do a quick fix or not.

1 Like

No.

They are working on it and don’t want to rush out a solution as they are still trying to identify the cause.

You can’t fix something until you can identify what is causing it.

1 Like

To summarize: The performance degradation happens in random areas, not necessarily dense or complex, can be far away from airports. Most of the users are affected. It happens with

• empty community folder
  • bing data turned off
  • photogrammetry turned off
  • low settings
  • additional packages uninstalled

I even tried Mappamundi’s spike fix which should replace the terrain mesh.

I think there’s no workaround this time. We just can wait for a hotfix. To make this happen:

• submit a Zendesk report
  • upvote this thread
10 Likes

oh, didn’t know that. Well in that case I’ll cut them some slack but still would be happier if they were even more upfront about such a severe issue.

1 Like

I accept that , but surely it’s not difficult to put out an update stating we know there’s an issue etc, etc. Instead what we have now is some claiming there is nothing wrong with the sim, and it must be the customers fault, of which it is certainly not.

Mine for example worked fine until WU3, then started getting drops in fps from the normal 40 55fps, to 25-30fps. Then Sim update 3 You can be flying along nicely at a solid 40 -50fps, and bang, 17… then dropping as low as 3fps at 39k?? GPU goes to idle…

1 Like

Completely agree, its not at all clear in this forum where you go for official information.

I switched off hyperthreading and now have the same performance as before.

same here. 30-50% performance loss with the last two updates. went from a mix of ultra and high setting with 30 fps in very busy areas (e.g. EDDF and other big ones) to stable 60fps outside of busy areas.

now i am on a mix of high to low, and yet i get around 15fps in the busy airports. the fun is gone for now.