Performance drop by 50% after Hotfix 1.15.8.0

Already tried that. Makes no difference. Tried Atl+Enter to switch in an out of windowed mode as well just in case. No change.

However, I did find something strange. If I focus on an external application(like LIttle NavMap, Navigraph, Chrome, ANYTHING) vs MSFS, I actually get a better frame rate in the sim. I can be doing 15 fps in sim. I click out of the sim, and suddenly I’m near 30.

This makes no sense…

I will say I’m seeing similar results to you with vsync. Locking my vsync basically cuts my frame rate by 50%, regardless if windows are popped out or not.

If I lock to 30 fps, the best I’ll see in the sim is 15. If I lock at 60, the best I see is 30. And when I undock my instruments, I’m back down to 15. So I run without vsync as a result. Without it, I just get poor, but somewhat usable (now) frame rates all the time whether or not instruments are undocked.

Not to push this too hard, but my huge performance hit seemed to be related to vsync, and was completely eliminated by uninstalling windows update KB5001330. Also check your GPU usage in task manager. When I was having issues it was 20%-30% instead of the 95%+ it became after uninstalling that update.

I uninstalled KB5001330 yesterday. I overall gained me about 5-8 fps, putting me back into somewhat playable territory (high 20s). But my GPU usage is still hovering between 50-60% at most. I’m completely CPU bound (main thread limited) even though my main CPU thread rarely goes above 80%. Typically it hovers between 70-80% use. Back when I used to get 40+ fps, it used to be nearly pegged at 100% at all times.

Ok so i was getting around 23-25 fps @KDMA after the windows update KB5001330, I have just uninstalled the update and my sim is back to smooth 45+ fps @4k max.

1 Like

The most painful thing is that we have to be like that in each update, my son plays assassins creed valhalla on the same computer that, as you know, uses Directx12 and is above 60 FPS (all in ultra), however I do not reach 30 - 35 FPS in MSFS (graphics medium - low) when before UK it had 55 - 60 FPS all high, and each update goes down and down more.

I look forward to Directx12 and see if these types of issues are resolved.

Unfortunately I don’t know what else to do and patience is slowly wearing thin.

Uninstalling had no effect for me, but I wasn’t suffering from severe performance loss. Just a gradual degradation from December by about 20% or so. Undocking a window causes either 25-50% fps drop dependin whether vsync is off or on, so I just don’t ever undock.

The one change I noticed is that removing toolbar buttons no longer gains me FPS. But I’m sitting at a much lower FPS than I was a couple updates ago. Just like you guys are experiencing with the undocked window issue, it’s as if all of my toolbar buttons are “always on” and I’m still paying that performance penalty, even though I’ve disabled them all.

Off topic, but sometimes I wonder how much damage I’m doing by Alt-F4ing the application instead of doing a proper shut down through the menus. Perhaps just losing a few settings if they changed. Perhaps screwing up the next session. :\

How many thousands of different systems do you think they would have to test. Have they got a massive warehouse with thousands of computers? There are probably thousands of people who don’t have a problem.

By me too. Same Issue.

I have 30-33fps with JF Arrow on Gstaad / Switzerland. But i ever had 40-50 fps there!?

Specs:

i7-4790k @4.7ghz
Asus ROG GTX 1070 OG
Sim installed on SSD (Samsung EVO 840)
1TB HDD
256GB SSD for System
780 W Powersupply

Do i have to set ATC off or what?

I just tried before to fly without multiplayer, and my sim was back to normal. Please check, if you see the same. There seems to be a problem, when other players are close to you, which causes this performance loss. I had terrible frame rates at airports, where others were as well.
Of course, flying alone is a pain, but we can fly again till the next hot fix comes in.

I also noticed slight performance drops after the hotfix. But most aircraft work fine except for the FBW A320. It has become utterly unplayable. Loading into the sim flight takes forever when selecting this plane. and once in cockpit it stutters every 5 seconds. Complete freeze then up to 30 fps , then freeze, then 30fps and so on.

1 Like

Haven’t launched the sim since just before the WU, was finally working ok after the hotfix to fix 10fps high time in manipulators bug… Now its a stuttery piece of trash yet again. I should’ve just left it alone, like I was doing. Absolutely ridiculous. My 1st MSFS experience was on an Atari 1040st. Never in my life have I seen such utter garbage. Tired of workarounds, fanboys, excuses, blame put on users. Yes, it is a large an innovative project. Yes things are being done that are new. It all means nothing if you can’t use it. Yay! I have the best looking sim that barely works. Now I have a new region to slide show through… Oh goodie, ever so impressed. I have a 9900k 64GB ram, a 3090 and a whole lotta of faith lost in this buggy pile of dung. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

So, in a previous post in this thread, I stated I don’t lose fps undocking instruments. Well, I have a new development to report. I’m now seeing the nearly 50% decrease in frames when undocking as well. It appear that somehow (likely due to a cloud-saved setting, because I have a newly formatted and reinstalled PC from a few weeks ago), somehow MSFS was thinking I always had something undocked. That’s why I was getting ridiculously low frame rates all the time but never saw a change when I undocked an instrument.

I hit ALT+ENTER while I had the ATC panel undocked. When I returned it to normal windowed mode and re-docked it, all of a sudden, my sim is running at 40+ fps - the same as I was seeing prior to WU3. And try as I might, I can’t seem to “break” it again to reproduce the issue. So now instead of being at a sub-30 fps at all times, I can hit 40+. I’ve even broken 50 fps again - something I haven’t had happen since before the VR update in December.

However, now when I undock an instrument, I’m instantly back to about 25 fps. Subsequent windows I undock don’t affect FPS at all. Just the act of undocking that first instrument or panel cuts my fps by almost 50%.

However, 1 strange thing I’ve noticed - when I have undocked windows, if I remove focus from the sim (as in, click onto my desktop, another app like Navigraph, etc), I regain about 10 fps. When I look at my CPU activity in Task Manager, CPU usage drops significantly when I have MSFS in focus. I get low fps and lots of stuttering. If I give focus to another app, I’m typically in the 30-ish fps range and it’s very consistent and smooth by comparison.

Microsoft confirmed the performance issue with the latest windows update and has issued a server side emergency update. Unfortunately you can’t check whether the fix has been applied to your machine, so the best you can do is reboot your machine a few times over the weekend and see if your performance improves.

Microsoft Issues Emergency Fix For Performance Issues

1 Like

Although I Think this is different thing but i would like put here

I have recently read a topic on avsim --Framerate gradually reducing over time .

YES, I have the same issiues: when passing some area frame rate decrease gradually. And if you have the memory monitoring software on you can also find memory useage increasing insanely. for me, the average fps in normal is about 18 to 30 depending on the areas and memory useage about 65% to 80%(of over all 32GB). but when the " trigger" is on, Fps will decrease to 15… 14… then 5, even 4, meanwhile, memory will increase 80%… 81%… then if it reaches 100%(some time 92% or more) there will be a CTD Without message. It seems not only related to memory because someone with 64GB will also encounter the issue.

But I’m not here to complain,. What I found that this maybe something with time. When played one of the bush trips, I suffered the low fps gradually decrease issue again. and can’t finished the mission. after try to restart misssion , the sim. The
issiue happend again and again. The last time (6th) in the same mission at almost same place. the fps is 4,memory useage at 88%. I Paused sim(not active pause) and have a rest,after a while the fps increase to 15 and memory useage decrease to 87%. then I Unpause the sim , instantly, fps 4. memory back to 88%. this time I Paused sim again, then wait to see what will happen , with time past the memory gradually decreased and back to normal again fps to 30 and steady with the followed trip. And After this , I Tried the same mission again, it could repeated.

I have no idear about the cause, but if the same issue happen try fly away from the trigger spot and have a “long” pause, maybe you will recover from the problem.

Have to wait for Windows Update or what?

I’m getting crazy stuttering it makes it completely unplayable, going from 30 to 2 fps every 5 seconds

2 Likes

I have a feeling that this sim is not going to be ok at all in terms of performance. I will wait a few more months and most likely i will uninstall it.

1 Like

I have a simple solution for your repeating stutters every 2-5 seconds…
I read all posts here…but I’m not sure, that this solution works for the almost similar problem with “Multiplayer”…
But I tried everything…updating, graphic settings, youtube videos…and for me the solution was:
Change the fast europe server connections (for me 23ms) to the “slow” us server (for me 113ms) and the game rocks including my heavy modified A32x.

I don’t know why…but since 1.15.8.0 or already WU Benelux I guess they have problems with load-balance systems in europe…only my opinion…

Maybe this is fixed with the next SU in May…

Try it, I refound my smile…