Personal data

Please tell me, is it possible to ad my data for PC somewhere like underwriting in other forums?
This is nessesary every time people try to help, they ask for PC date and controller stuff.

It is possible to amend your profile page to include your system specs… quite a few forum users do it that way on these forums. (https://forums.flightsimulator.com/u/Rotorman123)

Go to preferences (top right) and click on profile (from the left hand side options)

1 Like

My profile also contains my hardware. You need to click on expand to see the full bio.

What you’re asking about is the a signature block at the end of posts. That’s not a feature enabled on this forum.

1 Like

Too bad. It would save a lot of time.

Forum signatures are a topic that have come up before. The last time was a little under five months ago, at the time I ran the topic passed the other moderators and pretty much everyone was against the feature. I then created a rather long, but detailed post outlining why were not for signatures. You can read that post here.

It has been some time since this discussion was had, I don’t foresee it having a different result, but if you want to request the feature create a topic in General Discussion and use the tag #forum-feedback.

2 Likes

I’m so happy there are no signatures on this forum. Waste of space. Happy this discussion took place though, and happy with the result.

3 Likes

I tend to agree. When I scroll through the forum, I’d rather be seeing pertinent information vs a bunch of pointless signatures taking up screen real estate.

2 Likes

Yet when someone asks for help (usually something graphical) the next post is always "well what are your system specs?).
So now you have to read the original complaint, then the guy asking for system specs and then the OP giving his/her system specs.
It would be more convenient to have a sig.

Clicking on someone’s avatar, and having that pop up pane show the information you might want in a signature is enough I think.

4 Likes

I can totally see your point. But the 99% of the time, that info is irrelevent to any discussion for the bulk of the forum members.

If that’s info you need often, you can always add it to your forum profile.

3 Likes

That would be a good idea too.

You can already do that.

2 Likes

Hobanagerik is referring to your biography, you can edit it here: https://forums.flightsimulator.com/u/CooganBear/preferences/profile

Personally, I am against signatures, they waste space which is incredibly annoying when viewing forums on small devices like cell phones.

If we take my account as an example, I have created 2,353 posts. Many of these posts are moderation related, answering questions or engaging in friendly discourse. I can only think of one post where my hardware was relevant, and because the topic was discussing stable configurations, I chose to give more information than could ever be displayed in a signature.

So, if I had a signature detailing my hardware, it would be irrelevant information for 2,352 posts.

I would encourage you to read my post that I linked in my last reply if you have not already done so. It discusses the technical limitations of signatures within Discourse (the forum software).

4 Likes

Hi Crunchmeister71.
Not to be root with you, but iI don’t think your read my post. Maybe it is placed in a wrong section, but when anyone struckle with failure, the first question on repy is: what equipment do you have. After some times , it takes some time to get the rigt information.
It is NOT possible to ad it on my profile ( se other replyes)
I am loking for a check box where I can ad it when I post somthing need that, else not.

Click on my name. It will show you a quote that reads “When I die, I want to do so peacefully in my sleep like my 78 year old grandfather, and not screaming in terror like the passengers in his plane”.

You can do the same and use that space to put in your system specs.

I read it, but I don’t know where to edit it on my profile. I want to put in as a footer and only if check box is checked.
I am not talking og GDPR but only spec.

You can’t put it as a footer. That’s not enabled on the forum. That’s the reason you don’t see anyone else with signature block on their posts. It’s not an option available to you. At all.

@Rotorman123,
On your profile where you have this:
“Diplom Engineer Electronic. Privat pilot SEP and Helicopter.”

Add your PC specs under it. Most members who help others are in the habit of checking profiles. This check, is also in the template when a member posts in the #bugs-and-issues categories. On that template where it asks you for PC specs, you can simply state: “See profile”.

1 Like

Hi
Thanks . It gives meaning in my book.