Photogrammetry is completely broken

I have everything set on Ultra, I have refreshed the rolling cache…photogrammetry still looks horrible, as you can see from this example, even when an inch above the ground. Any fix/workaround that I can try? Are the devs aware of this problem?

Actually photogrammetry is going to be exactly as you describe. If your expectation is that the closer you get, the better it will look, then that’s not how it works. It has a point where it looks good from a short distance but then will diminish as you get closer. This is actually terrain, not autogen or programmed buildings. Photogrammetry looks great at 500 ft, not at street level.

6 Likes

I have the same problem with Photogrammetry in Paris and London looks horrible like an abandoned town after a nuclear strike. Graphics setting set to standard HIGH, all data on, pretty dissapointing.

But while flying in eg. EKCH Copenhagen photogrammetry is fine and pretty awesome.

This happened to London efter the world update 3 and for paris after world update 4, next up is the Nordics … Asobo please dont mess up my hometown Copenhagen!

I know that they are not meant to look super sharp, but I can assure you that even at a higher or longer distance all photogrammetry cities look like they have melted.

If you take a look at any official trailer or gameplay video it is obvious that they are supposed to be much better than what the actual experience (at least for me and other people affected) is.

This is clearly an issue, and it needs to be solved. Don’t get me wrong, I absolutely love the game and have been playing it since release, so I appreciate all the dev’s work which I understand it has been considerably hard during a pandemic, but that doesn’t mean that issues should be ignored. Especially since they have been present since release (almost a year now) and do affect the game’s enjoyment.

7 Likes

Hi, if you search for past topics you’ll find that many people have complained about photogrammetry quality since the start of the sim, and especially in London since the UK World Update dropped. The Paris and Amsterdam data sets seem to be particularly “jagged” similar to London.

You’re not doing anything wrong, this is just how it looks. If you’d like to complain about that, I recommend adding new details to one of the existing threads rather than starting a new one.

It won’t happen because we already have photogrammetry for Copenhagen.

Well I hope not, but Brussels looks bad to after World update 4, I didnt before the update.

I have noticed while flying over Paris in the photometry area, the ingame data comsumption meter shoes 538 mb on a flight of aprox. 15 min, seem like it aint loading data properly?

And just to be clear, my internet connection is a 1 gigabit fiber connection, so no isues here, I have mereted it and it works just fine.

I have no idea. Possible. I‘ll have to check it myself. Another reason why the newly added PG cities don‘t look that great could be that they bought it from a new provider (Blue Sky) and if I‘m not mistaken they said they‘d use a different technique to integrate the data. So maybe it‘s just cheaper data and/or technical problems.

Do you people even look at the loading screen, their chosen best pictures look like that.

4 Likes

I took a flight around Seattle and man have they ever improved the photogrammetry there! Those melted trees are gone and the resolution seems higher. Doesn’t look like blobs and triangles from a distance either, there is a nice fade into higher res as you get closer. Photogrammetry varies depending on location and data available but the future is bright.

Yes, and the loading screen is rather dissapointing to, I hope it will be PG will become the same level in every PG city end hopefully much better

To people that say " londen / Amsterdam / Paris looking like ware zones is normal "

When I check the “old” cities ( people already forgotten there are dozens of photogrammetry cities around the world ) … they look very good !!!

Asobo used a “new” and “improved” system and new data for the last 3 cities.

So NO … building that look like a ware zone is NOT normal.

4 Likes

So NO … building that look like a ware zone is NOT normal.

It’s “normal” for those three cities because it looks equally bad for everyone – it’s not a special bug that only a few people see. That’s just how Asobo has made it.

i was surprised at how poor the photogrammetry has been the last couple of updates. Japan was fine.

and i agree with the other person who stated the load screen had it as well. the fat square trees, melted buildings. personally, i would’ve found a better looking area for the load screen. :slight_smile:

Thats just how photogrammetry is. Some cities have better data as others. Its a flightsim, i still dont get why peoples get so obsessed with the buildings. Turn photogrammetry off if you dont like it.
You are not supposed to fly that low anyway over a city

Exactly, the new improved photogramnetry introduced in WU 3 and 4 has not been a step up in visual quality, but rather a degredation, thats sad. They shouldent, in my opinion, introduce new technolgy/features before they are ready.

If i turn of photogrammetry in eg. Paris i get exactly the same world war 3 scenery as with PG on? Is this also normal?

Guess you have to restart and maybe clear your cache, if you have one active.

I have one active and it has been cleared several times, cleared community folder, log out of xbox profile, nothing so far made the new PG cities any better, but as i have mentioned any ‘old’ cities like eg. Ekch is just awesome.

Can we please close this topic and add to the one that was created months ago. New threads just dilute the issue.

1 Like