Photogrammetry might be great for scenery

But within the perimeter of a small aerodrome, it really makes no sense having satellite imagery replacing generic grass textures…

I despair.

1 Like

lolol thats funny

GO fly the vegas strip with it turned off and youll wish you hadnt.

Don’t get me wrong, I really like photogrammetry and I couldn’t imagine flying VFR without it.

But i don’t understand why it’s been added to airports too, since the last update. I’ve flown out of 20 or so UK aerodromes in the last few days that look exactly like this.

What is the ICAO code of this airport? By the way, just for reference not criticism, photogrammetry is the process of creating the 3d buildings, trees, bridges you see in certain cities from specific sources. In this case I think you mean photoscenery which refers to ground textures even where there is no use of photogrammetry.

2 Likes

Ah photoscenery, that’s what I meant. 04:30 local time here and my brain is fried :sweat_smile:

The icao is EGTR. Also seen it at EGSX, and a host of other airports I can’t remember top of my head just now. :slight_smile:

Yes, I would be fried too at that time. Been there and done that as they say. I want to look at those airports in the sim and in mapping services. Will report what I see. But for goodness sake don’t stay up waiting for my answer. Only 9:42pm here in central Canada.

1 Like

It was done this way for many airports so that devs wouldn’t have to hand create every airport in the game.

Kind of a catch 22. If they use the nice looking “game grass” there would just be a sharp transition from that to the photogrammetry at the edges of the field. Probably should go with that option though.

But that’s exactly what we had before this update - I don’t remember there being a single complaint about autogen grass.

This strikes me as another corner cut to boost “performance”.

And for the areas that actually do use autogen grass…

The satellite imagery just blends in with it…