PICO 4 - My test is over, here are the results

So, the long test is over. What’s the result? Well: I have the Pico 4 connected to my PC, while my glorious Reverb G2 is in its box, ready to be shipped to the new owner (but I will forever love you, my dear good old HP).

Interesting fact: selling the G2 I basically “paid” the Pico 4 around 70 € (not counting taxes).

Before giving you my final considerations, let’s recap my system: 13900kf/4090/32 GB @ 6400.

My Internet is 1 GB down, 400 Mbps up (normally, 800/300). I use WiFi 6 on the 5 GHz band.

Here you can see my VR graphic configuration (Anisotropic is OFF in the simulator and 16x in nVidia control panel):

And here you can see all the settings I’m using with Virtual Desktop, in the P4 and on the PC client:

This is SteamVR:

Finally, here you can see my settings in OpenXR Toolkit (posting the only menus where I changed something):
kit1
(Actually, normally I fly with Turbo Mode is “On”)
kit2

So: what made me choose the Pico 4 over the Reverb G2? Below there’s a list of Pros and Cons, but I want to say that what made the difference was how “real” flying with the P4 feels, compared to the G2. I’m talking about how the world moves around the airplane. With the G2 there was always some small issue, some stuttering that broke the illusion. With the P4, most of the time, I can watch the ground below me – on the sides as well – and think: wow, this is moving as it would in real life.

Please note: most of the time. Because the experience it’s not glitch-free, at all. And of course, all of this is valid on my PC, and we all know every configuration is a world on its own, with MSFS…

Pros:

• Once you set it up properly, FOV is (a little) wider, clarity is much higher over the whole view, comfort is great (as long as it stays wireless). And that fresh air on your face promises to be wonderful, when summer will come.
  • On my system, I’m almost micro-stutters free and everything seems to move in a more “realistic” way, as mentioned above (this is probably related to the wider clarity of the view, as well). The G2 has much more stuttering, particularly in the lateral views.
  • Recording (for those interested - I am) is so much easier and better! (Using OBS, but there’s even the internal tool, which I don’t recommend because it puts another task on the P4 CPU).
  • You can use some options to make it smoother on slightly lower specs systems too, like 72 Hz/FPS in Virtual Desktop and Foveated rendering in OpenXR Toolkit.
  • Motion Reprojection (in Virtual Desktop) works so much better than the WMR counterpart! If you fly propellers, you’ll notice huge improvements, without having to add mods.

Cons:

• WiFi: The battery doesn’t last more that 1h45mins with all cranked up. After that, I have to connect a Powerbank, or to use a connection method providing charging as well.
  • WiFi: I’m connected to a WiFi 6 network (5 GHz band) and most of the time the connection is OK, but sometimes it drops a few frames. It’s quite rare (maybe 4-5 times in a 2h flight), but of course it can happen in the worst possible moment.
  • WiFi: In some rare occasions, the connection is 100% gone - and when it comes back, you don’t have the plane engines audio anymore (that’s a know bug), which forces you to restart.
  • USB Tethering/Router: the decoding times for the images are higher, when compared to the WiFi connection. (Actually, after further testing, it seems the Router connection has the same times for decoding, once set up properly.)
  • For what concerns visuals, in the more distant views the clarity is not on par with the G2 (speaking of looking at cities near the horizon). Furthermore, it seems the most distant mountains and sometimes the lateral areas, depending on what’s there, “flicker” a little. Here I’m still tinkering the options anyway, and situation it’s slowly improving – it seems basically related to the Sharpness settings in the P4 and in the OpenXR Tookit.

These are two videos showing how nice the Pico 4 can be (image in headset is a little lower in quality, of course – but that’s just “a little”, and the definition is there:

So after evaluating all of the above I choose the P4. Then it was down to choosing the connection method:

1. Direct WiFi is the best one – most comfortable, at least until you stay wireless, and with better latencies all around. Unfortunately, it suffers from some glitches here and there (here it’s important to configure the home network to leave only the P4 – ideally – on the 5 GHz band, and of course the router should be pretty close).

2. Direct router is basically on par, apart the Decoding time being higher than WiFi, and it’s the one I choose. Less glitches, but way less comfy, and it’s not easy to set up correctly all the things you need (an extension router, probably, the network cable, the RJ45 to USB-C adaptor, the USB-C cable and most probably another USB-C female-female adaptor…). Once it works, it’s great!

3. USB Tethering – almost no glitches, but the general feeling that everything is a little more stuttery than with the other methods. Also in this case, Decoding time is up, compared to WiFi.

Here you can see two videos, where you can notice how WiFi6 always has the lowest latencies and decoding times:

USB Tethering VS WiFi Direct

Direct Router vs WiFi Direct

That’s it - should you have any comments, or questions, I’ll be happy to discuss.

21 Likes

Thanks for sharing that.

Thanks, nice info there.
I tried the P4 and its a great little VR set but it really is only worth trying on a top system with a 4090 - my 3080ti just could not cut the mustard at all. I sent it back in the end.

1 Like

Interesting! So you think the scenery stuttering that seems impossible to eliminate completely may actually be a WMR problem?

Considering how badly optimized WMR is, that wouldn’t surprise me (also considering it’s now almost abandoned by MS…). But I can’t be sure, ofc. It could have been something related to the G2 cables (even the V2 was not perfect). And I’m pretty sure that with the G2, using SteamVR (so no WMR) would make things even worse.

I am currently using the G2 (v2) with and AMD 6900XT, which wouldn’t be able to run the Pico4. I was able to try the latter at a friend of mine but I didn’t find it comfortable at all. But that could be just me as I have a rather large head. As is pretty clear from the various screenshots you posted there are a lot of tools involved and many knobs to tweak until the Pico4 outperforms the G2. Even though WMR leaves many wishes to be fulfilled, it’s much easier to set up.

For now, I decided to stick with my trusty G2 until Pimax Crystal is available, has solid reviews and solid software. At that point in time the 4090 TI should be available which I’ll be jumping to right away. Maybe coupled with an AMD 7800X3D CPU. April and beyond will be interesting in terms of high-end PCVR for MSFS.

And thanks for sharing your observations.

1 Like

Thanks for your tests.
I’m still surprised by your results when comparing the wireless with the USB-C cable connections. On my computer I get the opposite conclusion, but that’s probably because of my poor hardware.
Nevertheless I’m still very satisfied by the performance I get in this Pico4 with my old GTX1070ti :slight_smile:

1 Like

Me too sold my g2 and happily using a pico 4. Running lower settings as using a 4080

Thanks for your test. For me personally all these wireless headsets are a big no no. I’ve just sold my G2 even though i loved the headset, but i just can’t stand Microsoft’s environment anymore. The WMR hasn’t even been updated in the last 2 years, there’s bugs there that have been present forever and it’s obvious it’s becoming abandonware. It’s also been not even a year since i’ve bought a 3080ti and i have no intention of spending insane money on a 4090 (which is obviously needed for wireless performance), not to even mention a wifi6 router. I just don’t understand why the ■■■■■■■ manufacturers can’t pop a display port on these new headsets. PIco4 would literally be a G2 killer with a DP connection. I don’t like the direction in which VR is going right now and i’ve also completely lost hope in Asobo in terms of optimizing MSFS. They can thank mbucchia it’s even playable in VR. If it wasn’t for the toolkit…

So for me personally right now, i’m out of the VR game indefinitelly. That is, until there’s a 400-800 eur headset with pancake lenses and DP. Guess i might wait a long time…

2 Likes

My hope is that Pico will release a P4 witrh the DP in a few months - they followed the same pattern with the P3, first the no-DP version, then the DP one.

Anyway, I feel you. It’s incredible how every single headset manages to be great in some aspects, and to fail miserably on others…

3 Likes

Wow, didn’t know that about the P3. Frankly, i wasn’t paying attention to the Picos until the P4. If what you’re saying turns out true i’m definitelly buying it. As for G2, for me it was an amazing headset hardware-wise but the WMR man… I really got sick of that. Things like “shaking” of image in win11, never getting updates to adress issues, etc. Typical Microsoft. Biggest let down are the rumors about HP leaving the VR market. I was really hoping for a G3. If they would only put pancake lenses in the G2 and just use a better cable it would be the ultimate headset for simmers. :confused:

2 Likes

In general terms how much did you need to lower your settings? I’ve got a 4080, and I have a pre order in for the Vive XR Elite, which I’m guessing will be similar in performance to the Pico 4. Last time I tried VR was 5 or 6 years ago with a DK2

I didn’t lower anything, with the 4090. I actually increased something, compared to the G2 (where I was using mostly “Performance” for DLSS, for example)

i wish you had something more in line with 3080ti and not that fusion reactor of a 4090 :smiley: It’s impossible to make out of your “review” what the experience would be like with a 3080ti for example. I am however guessing from reports on reddit etc that if a person is using anything less than 4090, you could get better performance with something like G2 in comparison to wireless headsets. What do you think?

1 Like

I’ve read the same, and I saw many video saying the same. If you don’t have at least a 4080, they say a G2 is still the winner.

2 Likes

I tried it on my 3080ti and it was dismal.

I have also tried a G2.

To be fair, my spec was to be able to read the displays on my CJ4 easily. The G2 while having a great 3d effect failed miserably due to the tiny sweet-spot. The pico4 had no sweet-spot.

However, in both cases, to gain visual quality it needs the render resolution to be ramped up - this is where the 3080 falls apart and soils the bed.

I did manage to get the visual clarity i dreamed of but only at 1-2FPS so useless. The G2 just struggled due to its microscopic sweet-spot, it did have excellent audio though.

The Pico4 was running on USB-C to ethernet to get as much speed as possible - this was as easy as plug-n-play to set up and it meant the P4 was getting charged too.

I won’t be trying VR again until I can afford a 4090 or whatever the next one is.

i understand your frustration but if you invest enough time and effort it’s perfectly manageable to get a very decent performance and clarity (at least with tethered headsets). For example, i was running my G2 at 4000x4000 per eye which to me personally was an amazing clarity (dlss - balanced). I also managed eventually to bring everything to work mostly very smooth. However, if wireless headsets require even more hardware, then i definitely am not willing to even try it. And i’m not going to be able to get a better gpu anytime soon either.

1 Like

On a 3080ti?

Yes, Sir :slight_smile: However…after 2 years of endless tinkering i’ve HAD it with msfs…Everytime i manage to make it run “perfectly”, something gets changed that completely destroys all efforts. But honestly i’ve had it even more with WMR and their lack of support and i’ve decided to sell the G2 about 2 weeks ago. I love VR and can’t wait to get back into it (other stuff as well, not just msfs), but if i’m gonna do it it’s gonna have to be with some more reliable platform than windows mixed reality.

1 Like

I used for almost 2 years a G2 (v1 and then v2) with a 3090 - so more or less a 3080ti - and I was getting very good results, of course I had to reduce some things, but I enjoyed VR a lot during the whole period.

1 Like