Pico 4 - Recording test 1

Here’s my first Pico 4 recording test.

https://youtu.be/a4_woV2vOhs

I’d say the result is great, for what concerns definition and image sharpness. Again, in my opinion is on par with a Reverb G2 with OpenXR @ 200%. Please note the blurry areas in the lower part of the image are due to the FOV option of OpenXR Toolkit.

Details:

Virtual Destkop - Wireless connection - Godlike mode

Steam VR @ 192%

OpenXR Toolkit 4468x4468, NIS upscaling, FOV preset

I used my recording/streaming configuration, with LittleNavMap, overlay FlyLiveStudio, webcam. OBS with CBR/5000 kpbs bitrate

PC: 13900kf + 4090

Game: 100% render scale, DLSS Balanced, preset Ultra, with the exception of Contact Shadows, Occlusion and Raymarched Reflections (Low)

1 Like

if it is on par with the G2 than it is not worthwhile upgrading from G2 to Pico 4 I assume.

Well, it’s not a mandatory update, but… slightly more FOV. Pancake lenses (most of the view is on focus vs small sweet spot on the G2). No cable. Internal fan. Better controller for all the other VR titles. And, but this could be just a sensation, it’s a little smoother.

So we’re seeing monitor/gpu screen captures and not the (actual) image from the VR set?

Well, no. You’re seeing the mirror. It’s the OpenVR image (right eye only), so it’s the same image feed to the VR headset.

Same quality. Only thing, in VR the various filters make things a littler “sharper” (still have to play with various options). But these are the images I see in VR.

After all, there is literally no video done capturing the headsets “screens” - it’s all mirroring.

For example, look this video test, with OpenXR Toolkit set @ 1200x1200. ■■■■■■ VR, ■■■■■■ recording, also if it’s in 4K. What you see is what I see.