Pilot Camera broken (C172, 208, CJ4 etc.)

Hey.

The Pilots view is broken. I cant anymore lift the camera to see over the panel so i can see the nose of the plane.
When i press spacebar for the landingview and the lower the camera hight. I cant lift it anymore…

i think the issues shows up already before the update 1.13.16.0

this issue is confirmed on the following planes:

• C172 Steam Gauge
  • C172 G1000
  • C208
  • CJ4 (Standart and Working Title Mod)

Planes will be listed as reported…

1 Like

Same here.

Hello,
I moved your post to Bugs & Issues. That’s the best place to put issues you are having.
It would be helpful if you could edit your first post by clicking the pencil icon and stating:

• Whether it is both 172s (G1000 vs steam gauge) or just one of them
  • If this just happened after 1.13.16.0
  • If this happens with any other aircraft
1 Like

thanks and sure, i have done it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wow, great, thanks!

1 Like

The spacebar key needs to be rebound. First unbind, then bind again. Happened with USA update.

i will check it out tomorrow, thanks for the hint

:wave: Thank you using the Bug section, using templates provided will greatly help the team reproducing the issue and ease the process of fixing it.

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

No

Brief description of the issue:

Increase Cockpit View Height doesn’t work in some default aircraft

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O34P9R73V6U

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

Choose either C172 Map any key to “Increase Cockpit View Height”
Press key to raise pilot head position Height decreases instead of raises.
Player is unable to raise view height to a normal seated position ( even using SPACE - it’s too low )

This happens to a lesser extent in the C152, SR-22, Beech G58/G36 and some other default planes. ( these hit a height limit too quickly, but the “view UP” key will actually move the camera up a bit )

All the 172s are “broken” though. Pushing the key mapped to “Increase Cockpit View Height” will actually lower the view.

Players should be able to set any view height ( even if it’s wrong ). And esp if you can’t raise the view on a default aircraft to a normal seated view IRL

PC specs and/or peripheral set up if relevant:

N/A

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:

Since I can remember, verified on SU9

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

There were graphical clipping issues that occurred while changing camera views in some instances. Perhaps whatever “fix” that got applied causes this problem as a side effect.

I’ve been flying the C172 G1000 version a lot and can’t say I’ve noticed any problems with camera height. If you move the camera position closer to the windshield, you can also raise it higher.

you can fake it in VR as well, by calibrating the position too low, then sitting up - but the keys should work like they’re supposed to either way…

that fwd view thing is weird… maybe the movement is affected by a collision volume and moving the camera right up to the panel gets it in front of the volume? but as soon as you move back, and then press UP again, the view actually moves down

This is pretty annoying. I’ve found that resetting to the default pilot view first allows the height increase to work, but skipping the extra keystroke would be nice.

The same happens in the new glider - LS8. The default view is definitely too low and the camera cannot be elevated.

you can hit SPACEBAR for “landing view” and that will boost it up enough - but you can’t adjust it higher
a bunch of planes have this issue - IDK if it’s collision for VR or something, but it’s annoying that you can’t put the camera where you want… or at the height of a normal person sitting in the cockpit :wink:

1 Like

Thanks. I use the landing view, but it’s a stop-gap and a precise height control would be much better :slight_smile:

Actually, it’s the landing view, and than a bit lower in most cases. And this “bit lower” part is tricky - if I don’t get it right I start over - default view → landing view → bit lower :wink:

yep - do the same here, depending on the plane… they just need to give players full control and let them clip the camera if necessary

:wave: Thank you for using the Bug section, using templates provided will greatly help the team reproducing the issue and ease the process of fixing it.

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

No

Have you disabled/removed all your mods and addons?

No

Which aircraft are you reporting an issue about? (Please also add the proper tag for it)

Cessna 172 classic

Brief description of the issue:

When I hit up arrow to increase the cockpit camera height, it doesn’t go up. But it can go down all the way. Other planes work as intented

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

PC specs and/or peripheral set up if relevant:

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Yes*

*I’m not sure this is a bug as it affects other planes. There is clearly a bounding box within which you can move the camera around, and there is a high limit, just as there is a limit to the left or right. It’s not a 172 issue specifically as far as I know.

Yes

You can set the cockpit camera height under General Options to your desired higher position (needed for VFR flying), but every time, as soon as you touch a keyboard UP or DOWN key, it lowers to a pre-set (default?) position. To return to your desired higher cockpit height you have to go back to General Options and reset it.
This indicates that the “bounding box” described above is not always operational, but is connected to the keyboard UP/DOWN key settings.

Set custom views (control+alt+#), change reset default view to set custom camera 1 on your ‘snap back’ default. Set Alt+1 to your favorite pilot view. It will go back to where you really like it.

Add additional favorite glances/zoom/over the hood/passenger seat views in order of preference then tie a hat/toggle to next/previous custom camera. Set the highest saved view to another cockpit view of importance(I have pop-up/landing views as the highest). Usually you can get pilot in command preferred as view 1, most common instrument glance as 2 then if you have like 6, for instance, set 6 to pop-up/get-your-bearings view so the hat toggles up to the instrument view first and down to the most desired secondary view.

All the default views are awful, in every aircraft 3rd party or otherwise. They are often compromised to get the best overall ‘look’/legibility on an average monitor, not what a pilot would actually see in flight. BUT, if you hit ‘reset view’ button twice, it toggles between your view and original default, so you can keep your preferred view which may be higher where you can’t see primary buttons/levers, but another push gets you the default with them. Small planes you don’t look while flying with the landing lights switch in the peripheral. Most defaults are at so far off an angle from true straight ahead you can’t visually line up a landing properly.

The A36 bonanza is worse than the 172, even in front of a big 55" TV, you can’t raise the camera to a natural high enough position, although the big screen lets you get away with it. In outside view, you can see the plane is either scaled 120% or the pilots are only 80% sized… Once you see it, you can’t unsee it. The default 172 view may be the best of them all, IF you have a giant TV/monitor. I can definitely see it being too low on a computer monitor.

But tweak and save a new ‘default’, it really makes a huge difference.

I applied asslowblow workaround and functionality is back !. Tested with C172 G1000/C208/CJ4