Pimax 12K QLED - The most INSANE VR headset

You are absolutely right. The pre-order system is not up yet, but from the first promotion on the website it is already clear that Pimax 12K headsets can be purchased soon. Just like it was almost always the case with previous releases of Pimax components.

It can be assumed that pre-orders will be possible after the presentation at CES 2022 at the latest.

Of course, there is nothing wrong with pre-orders in principle. However, when previously communicated release dates have almost always been postponed by months or years, the anticipation of another pre-order is naturally dampened accordingly.

This is especially true for a headset that is supposed to include almost every VR feature that is technically feasible at the current state. It remains to be seen whether such an ambitious development can actually be realized in this functionality and time span.

For example the current eye tracking solution from Pimax still does not work as advertised and the Pimax Sword controllers aren’t on the market even 2 years after supposed release in Q3/Q4 2019. expected release date in 2019

But enough of the critical aspects. I hope that the development will go well and Pimax will launch great new headsets as soon as possible.

1 Like

The G2 does reach higher fps than the 8KX at the same settings. But critically, i can still average 30fps with 8KX which when playing didn’t feel much different to the G2 running at say 40fps for example.

Not the kdmas 8k version with the gamepack included because i needed base stations and valve knuckle controllers all in one.

I don’t mean to be contrary but Kevin the COO of pimax has stated within the last few days on their forum that the 12K will not be sold by pre order. If i recall correctly, he said they will open up to direct orders “within a few days” of the headsets being able to be shipped. Of course things may change but as of right now, this is what’s being proposed.

2 Likes

Ah ok understood. Those base station 2.0s are hard to get, valve have none in stock, i had to resort to ebay buying used items for not much cheaper for mine. I think you’ll get your 8KX in the stated time but I hope you get your controllers/basestations in a timely manner too, ive read a few reports of people having to wait for those.

Playing devil’s advocate there’s arguably a sort of defacto pre-order with this slightly bizarre refunding/crediting of current pimax headsets and a priority position in the queue once it starts shipping for those buyers.

I must admit of the whole thing, the logistics surrounding this idea of buying current Pimax headsets and using them as what is effectively a down payment towards a reality series is probably the most interesting as to how it will all work out.

If you look at it objectively, it seems pretty likely that Pimax did this whole announcement earlier than they would want to under normal circumstances. With the Varjo Aero, Vive Flow and (expected but not delivered) Quest PRO anouncements
 they would have been left in the dust as far as people looking forward to next gen tech
 But in order to avoid “Osbourning” themselves, they did this whole refund/credit for existing owners once they open ordering in a year
 or maybe a year and a half

For anyone out of the loop on the term “Osborning”
 Osborne effect - Wikipedia

@Zeeflyboy and @NumberNumber481

Yes indeed. We are seeing example of people canceling their Varjo order not to wait for the 12K (it’s too faraway and uncertain), but to order an 8KX right away.

Not me, sticking with my order for the Varjo Aero.

Who in their right mind is doing this?:rofl::joy:
Settling for an 8KX over a Varjo order?
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/AnxiousImpressiveCopperbutterfly-max-1mb.gif

Once again the fellas at Asobo need to bust butt to code parallel projection out. Its and adjustment of 10 degrees in each eye for crist sakes. Also change the culling. Other games got this done via mods for crying out loud. See subnaitica below zero. They abandoned VR and by 2 mods they made it not only VR now they support NON-PARALELL Projections. Call Pimax and stop kissing the G2/WMR ring. That’s a great headset and you’ve done well to optimize it, but do not make it a Microsoft exclusive. CANTED DISPLAYS ARE LITRALLY IDEAL FOR FLIGHT SIMS. What are you waiting for? ITS A 30-40% DIFFERENCE IN IMPROVEMENT. No other optimization can flatly achieve this! PLEASE Asobo QUIETLY BUMP THIS INVESTIGATION. Once you see a wide FOV you can’t do else ( until you see your fps go into the toilet because of parallel projections being required of course haha)

3 Likes

Hey Swe nice to see here ( Jean-Mehdi from Pimax )
Looking forward for in depth testing :slight_smile:

Ordered thur 28th oct Pimax 8kx kdmas and player kit. All in stock on pimax website. Stated 3 to 5 days delivery. Paid 1693 euros including 69 euros postage. Day 6. Not a peep out of pimax. Definitely not despatched. Got a bad feeling that nearly two months pension has gone down the drain. If so, what a life lesson.

They were a week late for me but I have been SUPER impressed by their product. Your world is about to OPEN. Plan to use pulleys though. I used exactly two to reduce the weight while flying. PIMAX IS HEAVY. Try differing combos if you have an 8 foot or more ceiling you won’t notice the pull when you look down/up and it makes for a great product. Their support is very good. If you bought the controllers make sure to test them fully on day one in steams test window I had one bad trackpad. Also I pray you have a good videocard/ decent cpu. Their support responds at 9pm est so if you have a issue submit a ticket at 8pm and they will reply same day if its not weekend. They are native China but their English is ok.-decent. Their widest FOV doesn’t work well unless the app supports nonparalllel projections as it demands much much more from the gpu. See and vote for wide fov support in MSFS. Also see support for DLSS. These are the only ways we can see more without better hardware

2 Likes

Please vote for wide fov support

1 Like

Right now I imagine they’ve got quite a few orders all at once with the trade in later for 12K offer, i highly doubt you’ll lose your money. But still, its not cool when they state a delivery time and don’t adhere to it. If i were you, i’d email or live chat to their support, say you want to cancel the order if you’re not getting your product on time, that should hurry them up. Oh btw i would not assume its not been dispatched yet
ive heard of people getting their kit when they hadn’t been informed of its dispatch.

1 Like

Thanks for your reply. I include my specs as your were asking about CPU etc.
I had a pimax 5k but it was a bad one I think so colored my perspective. Swiver on this site encouraged me to try an 8K which seems to have better reviews than the 5k. I hope it will arrive, but after paying 70euros or ÂŁ60 in grownup money for postage I feel let down.
Motherboard: Asus Rog Hero x11 wifi Z490
55" curved oled Tv.
CPU: Intel i9-10900K @5.3ghz per core.
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3090 turbo
CPU-Cooler: Liquid cooled 240mm
PSU: Kolink 1200watt Platinum
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4/3600mhz
M.2 NVME SSD: 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus
M.2 NVME SSD: 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus
SSD: NVME Samsung 970 EVO 500GB
5.1 logitech sound system Soundblaster Z.
Next level V3 Motion platform on GT Ultimate rig.
2 Buttkickers on race rig with 300watt earthquake amp.
Sim Racing studio wind and tactile generators.
Saitek Quadrant.
Saitek Multi panel.
Honeycomb Alpha Yoke.
Honeycomb Bravo Throttle controller.
Saitek fuel controller and deicer levers.
Thrustmaster TPR Rudder.
VR. HP Reverb G2. Pimax 8k on order
400mbit Virgin fibreoptic net.

Thanks for replying. Hope your right. Ill contact them tonight and see what that brings. Heres good service. My reverb G2 has 6 weeks warranty left. I contacted HP about the black screens and connection issues. Three days later I had the latest cable on my doorstep. Three days after that a gent from HP phoned me to see how I was getting on. I was amazed. I told him I still had connection issues and he just replied, well get a new headset out to you. That was last Friday. Yesterday it turned up. Now thats what I call customer service and from a large corporate company. Most unexpected. Thankyou HP.

1 Like

With those specs you will NOT be disappointed with the 8k x
seriously. and with the potential to go 12k you’re in a great spot financially. I’m not Richie Rich and feel like this was a great stretch purchase for me - and I did stretch. Wife still mad.

I feel your pain. Im getting poison looks myself at the moment. Its the old adage, youve already got a headset, why do you need another one? Because its BETTER. Does`nt work tho.