Pimax Users (8KX) Please share your settings

A lot info you can find here:
FS2020 VR + Pimax Discussion - Games & Software / Game On! - OpenMR | Community

For your problem, how high are your ingame /Steam supersampling? For the first, sounds as a CPU overload.

Thank you all. Issue resolved. The VivePort app was corrupt, reinstall fixed Flight Sim issues

2 Likes

Im having somewhat similar issues to your original postā€¦ but running pimax8KX i7-9700k 3.6Ghz RAM32GB Win10 version 21H2, RTX2080 driver 30.0.14.7168ā€¦ tried updating driver but after download the system still says best driver is already there. Any thoughts as to what I could try ? Cheers ā€¦

Besides flight sim not working, also viveport games would not work. After uninstalling viveport and reinstalling viveport problem went away.
Things I tried that did not work included uninstalling and reinstalling flight sim, installed openxr developer (but pimax does not support this), various versions of gforce drivers, steam vr & steam vr beta, pitool and firmware of 8kx.
So for me the problem went away after uninstalling viveport and reinstalling viveport.
And continues to run fine of latest version of windows 10 64, nvidea drivers and default vr flight sim settings.
Let me know how you go, or list the issues you have if not resolved

Anyone else experiensing lag on the head tracking movement in the cockpit with the low frame rates we get at this game (30ish fps)

When i move my head towards the cockpit, the cockpit moves towards me unatural with latency. Same thing to the left, to to the right, up and down etc.

This also happends in other games with similar fps. In games like Elite Dangerous were you get 75fps the head tracking is perfect.

Hello everybody,
I actually experience similar problems as [GauntBadge85512] described last Sept. 21. fs2020 worked fine with my former Oculus Rift S, now using Pimax 8KX it stucksā€¦ As he tried to uninstall and install viveport, i did it with the Oculus Softwareā€¦ no success. As soon as i switch to VR mode, the monitor shows the 2VR images but the headset get stuck ā€¦ Other games are working fine

Appreciate your support

i9 9900KF, RTX3080 Ti OC 12GB, 64 GB RAM

Had to resolve issue again, following worked for me:

1. Create shortcut to Flight Sim exe file in PITool Exerience (using the import option in PITool Experience). Mine is in this path, but to access need Windows to allow ownership of the file ā€œC:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.26.5.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbweā€
  2. Run Flight Sim from shortcut in PiTool EXperience
  3. Run Steam from PiTool Experience
    Hope this helps

My best settings are now as follows with Sim Update 10 Beta:

• GPU:3090 (OC10%)
  • CPU: 12700K(OC to 5GHz)
  • RAM: 32GB(@4GHz) DDR4
  • HMD: 8KX (old version that only does 75 hz)
    Therefore my goal was to achieve 37.5 FPS all day

Using PimaxXR runtime from here: GitHub - mbucchia/Pimax-OpenXR: PimaxXR: an unofficial OpenXR runtime for Pimax headsets.
Using Open XR Toolkit Located here GitHub - mbucchia/OpenXR-Toolkit: A collection of useful features to customize and improve existing OpenXR applications.
*Fixed Foveated Rendering (Wide Performance Mode)

PiTool

• Render resolution 1.0
  • Normal FOV - Parallel Projection OFF
  • Motion Smoothing off.
  • Compulsive Smoothing 1/2
  • HMD at 75Hz

MSFS:

• DX11
  • All VR settings MAXXED out - with two exceptions:
  •    Terrain and Object and LODs at about half slider.

Depending on the scene I just adjust the DLSS. I can get away with ā€œBalancedā€ mode in most scenes, ā€œPerformanceā€ in others.

Finally have a locked 37.5 FPS in Normal FOV on Pimax 8KX at 100% resolution!
It can be done in MSFS!

Special thanks to Matthieu Bucchianeri for his support of Pimax, OpenXR, and Pimax enthusiats!

3 Likes

I prefer this:

• Motion Smoothing ON. It gives me more smoothness.
  • Compulsive Smoothing OFF
    Which resolution do you use in steamvr?
1 Like

The problem I have is pitool shunts me to 25fps (1:3 mode) even when I get 45fps ā€¦its been doing this for several pitool versions now. Has anyone elae had this problem? I suspect it is because I use 75 hz modeā€¦I would LOVE to determine the cuase, ive had tonresort to some VERY old Pitools to ditch this problem.

I dont use Steam VR.
I just use PimaxXR.

Ok. I am using now Pimax XR, DLSS and in Openxr toolkit amd sharpening filter at 100%. Now it is much better and not blurred.

1 Like

Oh my god! can other people try this? PiTool 0.270 and before do not have the Motion Smoothing error I described above! Iā€™m back to using motion smoothing! More people need to try this. Itā€™s as clear as day:

Iā€™ve been testing for several hours each version of Pitool and Iā€™ve discovered that .271 introduced a motion reprojection error where the motion smoothing kicks in when FPS are well above the needed amount for motion smoothing.

On 75hz:
If Iā€™m getting 38-45 FPS Pitool inappropriately initiates 25 FPS Motion smoothing (1:3) instead of 37.5 (1:2)

On 90hz:
If Iā€™m getting 46-55 FPS Pitool inappropriately initiates 30 FPS motion smoothing (1:3) instead of 45 (1:2)

On previous versions it works such that just above the threshold for 1/2 Hz; Pitool simply uses the 1:2 smoothing to wonderful effect! What changed?

I also noted that the frame rates for which 1:2 kicks in are 45fps on 75Hz. 55fps on 90Hz. Which at first seems not important, but It does seem curious to me that 45fps is half of 90hz; and 55fps is half of 110Hz - the next setting up the list. Could it simply be the thresholds got mismatched to the HMD Hz modes?

For some time I thought there was simply a ā€œcostā€ or overhead to run motion smoothing, but this is simply not the case when I revert to version .270 or before.

Hereā€™s a link to the Pitool install files: https://keybase.pub/playa/Pimax/PiTool/

Could they have messed it up to where they put the thresholds for motion smoothing on the wrong Hz modes I believe?

Please can other people with Pimax of any kind try this in scenes?
Find a scene where you get above your 1/2 threshold (38-44 FPS for 75hz; 46-55? for 90HZ)

Hereā€™s a link to the full description of this error in detail on OpenMR Something went wrong with Pitool on version .271 and forward. A simple mismatch of Motion Smoothing thresholds? - Report Bugs - OpenMR | Community

2 Likes

I subsequently noted the threshold thing occurs permanently for open xr, where steamVR will revert to 1:2 appropriately after 1-3 seconds. I suggest using steamVR at the moment for motion smoothing as it is properly responsive. @mbucchia said motion smoothing isnt complete in pimaxxr and hopes to work on it this month. On the other hand if you hate the 1:3 motion smoothing you can disable it by way of pitool .270.

I have the same lag experience! Is there any trick to solve this?

1 Like

Update: Although I initially felt that the locked frame rates were indicative of motion smoothing being active, I noted that even when 1:2 is active, you need the additional frame rate listed above to get frame interpolation. So rather than an error in PiTool or SteamVR, I feel it may just be my own (chagrinned) discovery of the fact that motion smoothing itself has overhead.

Still .270 is a way of disabling 1:3 motion smoothing, it does not resolve the overhead issue. I feel itā€™s more like .270 had 1/2 compulsive smoothing active when motion smoothing is active, such that if you got say 40FPS and tried to turn on motion smoothing: although it would compulsive smooth (frame-rate limit) it would not have the frame interpolation - , which is a component of smoothing, but not the whole show.

In later versions of Pitool this was divided into two separate functions. So the hope I have is that Pitool will in future versions of Pitool allow for disabling 1:3 motion smoothing, while retaining all the other better functions of the newer versions of Pitool.

Here are my settings on the VR discussion threadā€¦nearly same setup as yoursā€¦

Our friend Matt from OpenXRToolkit, and PimaxXR is now working on a fix for the Motion Smoothing errors above. In fact, he has totally resolved it in my opinion for PimaxXR v.2.5, which is wonderful. Perhaps more importantly he may know how to apply the fix for SteamVR as well. Stay frosty Pimaxians!

Pimax Users:
Our friend Matt from OpenXRToolkit, and PimaxXR has fixed the Motion Smoothing issues with Pimax. Please do try the 0.2.6 version of PimaxXR located here:

It forces Pimax to use proper frame-time analysis and ensures 1:3 mode does not activate as easily.

You are now free to move about the cockpit.

Just wanted to point to the updated PimaxXR for you as it fixes motion smoothing. 0.2.6
GitHub - mbucchia/Pimax-OpenXR: PimaxXR: an unofficial OpenXR runtime for Pimax headsets.

1 Like