Pixelated and grainy clouds are back starting with 1.14.5.0

Yes and I have my own footage gliding in clouds that would make some folks on here’s hair stand on end. Of course they could smooth it out a little but only at a huge cost in performance which no one really wants. DX11 is not so great in this area (diffused translucency) but DX12 promises vast improvements when they eventually get coded into the sim.

1 Like

Hard to understand how this is not a priority issue to be fixed.

2 Likes

Hello All,
Same here. Pixelated clouds, running at 1440p. Volumetric clouds is set to high. Scale rendering to 100. Texture res is set to high. Does setting on ultra on either of these make any difference? Has this been resolved at all? Any ideas on fixes that don’t rely on editing a cfg file?

You can edit CFGs all you like. It doesn’t change the way the clouds are rendered in the game.
People edit the sharpness in CFGs because it just reduces it a little bit by stripping away sharpness from the whole game. That’s not a solution, I’d say it’s more likely a placebo effect.

I believe the clouds will always be pixelated a little bit. They’re noise generated after all. To be honest I don’t even notice it that much.

1 Like

I have the same problem as you SU7

this looks awful

3 Likes

This subject of these clouds is still today, will we have to wait for a REX or FEX to resolve? They are still grainy, and it’s no use answering if my settings are high, because they are, in fact, in other games low cloud settings are not even close to as grainy and pixelated is the MSFS 2020 in ultra mode. I hope that one day they solve this without us having to depend on third parties.

Hi there,

I’m having MSFS with World Update VII, via Steam. Distant clouds (even on ultra settings) often look grainy on my system, do other users have a similar experience?

5 Likes

Thanks for posting pics of ACTUAL grainy clouds. Some of the complaints in this thread are misplaced.

I hope Asobo can solve the problem.

I really don’t know but it seems to me that the distance culling feature of MSFS makes the graininess worse the higher you fly (or are from the type of cloud that exhibits graininess – they dont all do it).

1 Like

Since a few people were asking for it, this report is now part of the Feedback Snapshot. The issue is under investigation, and a fix is planned for 2022.

8 Likes

Nice… i hope they fix it as soon as possible…

2 Likes

Same issue…

Thanks all for voting. The issue is now listed in the TOP BUGS list of the feedback snapshot. hope the issue gets fixed soon.

3 Likes

Microsoft and Asobo know that this is not a problem which will be fixed… After x box version release all graphics have been nerfed and will not go back… You will see.

6 Likes

Been like this since the Cloud Graphical Regression of SU5, we’re now in SU8 and still the clouds are pixelated and poor visually (VR, looks far worse than the screenshot implies).

This is blatantly a regression of the graphical quality of the simulator, why is this not being addressed 3 Sim Updates later?

4 Likes

issue still persists with SU8

Xbox Series X

My white clouds look a bit fuzzy, slight pixilation.

because they used to be really WOW in the release version and now they have become way worse…

2 Likes

Nope my bandwidth is 700mps, clouds still are pixelated.