Playtime gone missing [Packages out of date]

Why its important for the lost data to get restored? when you buy a product, you expect it to work, and when the product, which for some reason tries to act as a service loses your data, not by your fault, that’s just unacceptable, no matter if you are at denial or at acceptance of the loss, as a paying customer you should care about the product/service you get for money, however important the data is for you. Because if you don’t care about it, the problem will just keep on escalating, like as I mentioned in my posts above, how can you trust developers who lose part of customer’s data (in this case the logs, activity completion, progress on achievements, settings, etc.) that they will not lose another parts of the customer’s data, like purchases in the game’s marketplace, like what do you have to lose to start caring? when you lose plane you paid for yesterday? when you lose the whole game?

Also its not like if the game was promoted as work in progress, open beta, early access, or something like that, its sold as a complete product, you buy it as a customer, you are not being paid for being a tester, and losing progress in the game is a game breaking issue. Like from the game design perspective the game does not really need features like the customizable profile, logbook, progress on activities and achievements, it would be as good game without them (maybe even better considering the experience with their loss.) And issue like this just starts to highlight trust issues with the developers, like when they cannot fix something so important and yet so small like this, where will the game go when the hype dies off? will the official servers just shutdown, and will the game become unplayable, with no option of unofficial servers? Kinda looks to me like that’s whats gonna happen.

There is plenty of usage for logbook, from nostalgic recreation of flights you flown before and that mean something to you, or looking up if you’ve been on some airport before, because it feels familiar, to having the sense of accomplishment from the flight hours you’ve already collected, and also to verify if your memories of the flights match with the data. Progress on achievements is quite comparable to save in some long single player game, you know you will eventually reach the end, but if you lose the save in the late game it hurts your experience, you don’t want to play again from the start, like imagine going for the Night Owl and Hydroplaning achievements, flying 50 hours in night and rain, then like 4 hours before completing those achievements losing the progress and doing it all over again. I was there. but at least I’ve managed to snatch the Completionist achievement like 4 days before losing the data, although it still sucks to see the activities in the game as not completed, especially in case of bush flights which are usually like 10 hour time investment per one.

3 Likes

It is probably best that in threads such as this, forum members should keep their posts to the ‘bug or issue’ at hand.

It doesn’t really help, especially when there is clearly an issue, for those not concerned by the issue to post in a thread about an issue that is of no interest to them personally.

7 Likes

@LockedFir76798, the question wasn’t addressed at me, but here is my answer. It’s important to me for 2 reasons:

1- I have set a personal goal to accomplish all achievements in the sim. I don’t usually care about achievements, but if there’s one “game” I can get them all in, it’s MSFS. To do that, I need the 1,000 hour achievement, which I would already have if I hadn’t lost my logbook like 3 times.

2- From time to time, I like to use the “fly this flight again” feature contained within the logbook.

So, now you know. Aren’t you glad you asked?

3 Likes

From today’s perspective, the logbook may be a minor matter for some of us. I take the view that if the relatively simple and seemingly unimportant one does not work properly (percentage calculation in the logbook) then what should it look like with the rest of the simulation. And unfortunately, it doesn’t look any better at the moment. The forum is full of important problems.How often do you say, at least that worked. Although it was a minor matter. Would be nice if we could say the logbook is now running without errors then the rest is now also running.
Have confidence everything will be fine.

3 Likes

What bothers me the most about this issue is the fact that I had to do a complete OS and MSFS fresh install a few months ago. New drive, new install, etc. My progress was not lost when I reinstalled, so you can’t tell me the data wasn’t/isn’t stored in the cloud somewhere.

2 Likes

Completely un-called for response. The question was asked and a personal opinion presented that in no way suggested how you should feel. Personal attacks are not only unproductive but unwelcome.

If you do not like a question asked, you have the right to flag the moderators to determine its validity in the context.

Please just stay on the discussion and not attacking other users.

Yes I am lol. I really was curious to see why someone cared so much, at least your answer gave me a reason - to redo a flight.

The logbook loss didn’t wipe my hours flown (and still says I flew for 200m at 0.10 metres above the ground upside down), so at least for me, I am still half way to my next “achievment” even though, as we know, we have lost some of the flights and reset it a couple of times since August - I flew probably almost double the hours it thought even before it was lost lol.

As for the other “answers” people sent, it is possible to take something too seriously.

Totally uncalled for response, liked by three people I see as well.

Look at this thread Servers down again? - #22 by SJK91
That is my interest, that thread was merged with this one.

The rest of it looks like you had a bad day.

@tamalien really? And nothing about him being so personal with his attack? yes, it “concerns” me, the issue affects me, I also lost my log book and I would like it back — but after we heard nothing for almost two months and there is apparently no cloud storage, we have had to sort of give up in it and accept the loss. Unless this thread produces some response to us from April 9th with some sort of hope of a fix for us, this is a totally useless thread tbh. And yes, I HAVE to keep watching it in case there is a fix released.

I totally agree with you regarding my angry response, I have already modified the comment.

I do not agree at all that it was not a personal allusion, since he states that the only interest, in general, and mine in particular in keeping the logbook is to be able to show it to others and that implies wanting to brag about the achievements obtained.

That is a way of discrediting my opinion and my interest in this matter and in my way of understanding the simulation. And not only mine, but that of those in this thread complaining about the same problem.

So I think it would be good for you to re-read his comment again, maybe if you see it from the point of view that the answer is addressed to you it will make you see it differently.

Regards

@LockedFir76798, you are correct insofar as those hours don’t seem to be lost. At least they have not been for me. However, where you are wrong is thinking those times are used for achievements. If they were, I would have that 1,000 hour achievement, or at the very least, a 500 hour one. For reasons that are far outside the scope of this thread, there was a point where I switched from the Steam version to the MS Store version, and in that case, those so many meters under such and such a circumstance were indeed lost, so I may not have enough of those either then, or now, to get me to 1,000 cumulative hours. But certainly enough for 500.

And yet I have neither achievement. Because only actual logbook hours count. And even then, only some. For example, I had to have like 110 hours logged before I got my 100 hour achievement, but I have not figured out why 10 of those hours did not count.

2 Likes

I lost more than 600 hours, now it’s back to 0 hours

1 Like

If smth went wrong (ms side) … system image backup is a must in some cases.

It’s always a good idea to keep a backup of your msfs settings.
Below default msfs 2020 settings folder location (ms store ver).
C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe

When I closed Online Functionality and opened it again, I was prompted to log in to MSFS again. After I logged in again, my flight duration and logbook were all lost!

I don’t believe you can “recover then” (or Asobo can recover them).

In Hindsight, you “may” have been able to backup the Logbook file (if indeed that was possible), and you “may” have been able to restore it, when you found that your Logbook had, effectively been overwritten, with a new Blank Logbook.

Would make a nice 3rd Party App. A “logbook backup/restore” utility.

There are two kinds of people: those who backup, and those who have never lost all their data.

2 Likes

My logbook was entirely wiped, and my achievement for 50 hours still remained.
I should have said “my 50 hours flown achievement”

But yes, it won’t add the 50 to the current one … Love to know what it’s going to do when I get to 50 again … probably melt the SSD in a fit of rage.

June 3, 2021: Another packages out of date warning. Surely they would have fixed this? Nope.

Another 890 hours lost. Back to 0, and the climb to 1000 starts again.

I will not be going online or doing another packages update ever*.

*Until I get the 1000 hour Achievement.

It’s always a good idea to keep a backup of your msfs settings.
Below default msfs 2020 settings folder location (ms store ver).
C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Local\Packages*Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe*

Restoring that folder didn’t work for me.

Why is everyone so worried about the achievements? Its a flight sim, the real achievements are flying a plane as close to real world conditions as possible. I know where I have flown, and my achievement is to finish flying GA planes around the world. I don’t really care if MSFS tells me how many hours I have been flying for. As long as that error doesnt screw up my flying experience with stutters, low FPS and more scenery or flight performance bugs, then I dont really care. But, each to their own. :smiley:

I know it may not make sense, but some of us are what you would call Achievement Hunters. Part of (not all of, for me anyway) why I play games is to earn the Achievements. I am also a Completionist meaning I like to complete all the games I start to 100%. There are websites dedicated to this (see TrueAchievements.com).

I play MSFS partly for the Achievements, but I also play it for the flight simulation aspect. I have been on MSFS since FS98 and have over 6,000 hours logged on VATSIM. It pains part of me to have to get on here and post about it, but the fact is that they elected to make stats and Achievements part of the game. Objectively, that part of the game is broken if it zeroes you out with a routine “update.” Will I reach 1,000 hours eventually? Sure. But if I can’t go one month without this getting wiped out, I just want to get it behind me so I can enjoy the game purely.

If you think these posts are bad now, wait until this gets on the Xbox proper.

1 Like

I could be facetious, and suggest the unlocking of hats a la Team Fortress. :wink:

What’s important to one, is not important to another, and vice versa. I for one enjoy seeing my logbook as a form of personal achievement. I don’t fly airliners, I don’t leave it running overnight on >8 hour flights. I hand flew the vast majority of them, and for me that is achievement, despite what the AP on/off stats appear to suggest.

It’s not the end of the world obviously, but I would have been really annoyed if my logbook had gotten wiped out by that bug.

1 Like