Vegetation render distance slider (separated from terrain/objects LOD) for performance

But please have the option for more than 20 miles! Future proofing…

6 Likes

Just to be clear, what people are asking for here is to increase tree distance independent of the LOD or tree quality. You may want LOD and tree quality low for performance reason but like the tree distance higher.

More votes needed!

8 Likes

What i find incredibly annoying is that the tree distance mod worked great, tree’s as far as you could see at barely any impact to performance. Maybe 1-2fps at most if at all & nobody was forcing people to use it, if you saw it & wanted it, you could have it, not hurting anybody.

1. Why wasn’t that allowed?
  2. Why did they vastly reduce the unmodded distance & then lock it?
  3. Why didn’t they look into the mod, see that people loved it & that it worked great?
  4. Why not then implement it for everyone or add an option for people to do so?

Rockstar just paid a guy for fixing GTA load times.
Asobo downgrades the game for everyone (yet again) & stops the improvement from working.

10 Likes

I doubt this was an intentional change directly aimed at the mod.
I think the mod was exploiting some code, and a recent change as a side-effect disabled the mod.
This is always a risk with mods; a patch can mess them up. That’s why I’ve added this wishlist item to get it supported in the base sim.

1 Like

Undoubtedly. Linking the tree draw distance to the height of the tallest tree (which is what the mod exploited) was a particularly counter intuitive and stupid way to calculate draw distance in the first place.

Logically, even if tree draw distance was going to be variable rather than set by user directly, it should be looking at the height of the viewer AGL or the height of surrounding hills and terrain NOT the height of the tallest tree in the forest (even if you do cut it down with a herring - you have to wonder if the devs are Monty Python fans).

Every day is getting worst with this game. Fps drops is a normal now, dunno if we are ready to decrease another 2-3 fps because of trees. I know nice addon feature but…
This game should be release on brand new engine, new file distribution and importing, new code, not modified engine on steroids from fsx release…

Voted UP

1 Like

Well, it sort of makes sense. A very large tree would be noticeable further away than a yearling spruce.
Still, I’d rather have direct control :slight_smile:

As bad as this is, bare in mind this is using the improved tree distance mod. Default is worse then this.

Then as bad as that is, actually playing the game is much worse as you’re constantly seeing tree’s loading in or popping from existence behind you. Seeing completely barren land where tree’s should be before they load in. This shouldn’t be a thing. The tree distance mod worked brilliantly before Asobo locked the draw distance.

Not only with tree’s but I’ve noticed all manner of objects loading in far too late. The beach goers in the St Maarten’s addon pop in as you’re almost over them, runway lights popping in at the last second occasionally & other distant objects that should be seen from miles away & that could, now locked behind Asobo’s new distance padlock.

2 Likes

Do you think other objects might be connected to the tree rendering? I would expect trees to be on their own ‘slider’.

The Julianne St Maarten beach party is awesome, but it has a fairly large FPS hit, I am not sure you would want it rendering any further away to be honest, especially considering you are on short final as you pass over it.

Sounds like it’s been poorly done then or needs updating. I’ve seen an upcoming airfield packed full of hundreds of 3d modelled people that render a decent way out (at least as far as they can be with the current draw distance limitations) with no impact on performance.

Tree draw distance keeps being reduced but I’m fairly sure it’s not connected to other objects. Rare but some objects render further out then the tree’s but things like people have a much smaller draw distance. That’d be okay if it was way too short & completely noticeable.

Hundreds of animated 3D people with no frame hit is impressive, animation in Scenery tends to really effect performance, I look forward to seeing whatever this is.

The developers make use of the so called “GPU Instancing” technique and compute shaders, which allows to render loads of 3D objects without impacting performance too much. But this is not an easy task, so it takes a while to get it done for a project of this size.

Good thing is, we start to see improvements now.

3 Likes

Thanks for letting us know it’s in progress. My personal opinion for the tree’s draw distance settings in the future would be the following (no matter of what value the TERRAIN LEVEL OF DETAIL is).

TREES
LOW = 3 nautical miles
MEDIUM = 6 nautical miles
HIGH = 9 nautical miles
ULTRA = 12 nautical miles

At the moment, with WU4, the tree’s draw distance by default with TLOD 125 and TREES: ULTRA is 4 nautical miles, which is clearly not enough to be the next-generation flight sim.

Below is a screenshot of the tree’s draw distance as much as 8.5 nautical miles using FSBlog’s Trees Draw Distance Fix before Sim Update 3.

9 Likes

Now, after World Update 4 made the tree draw distance not working at all to provide better visuals, it is more than ever needed to get a chance to increase the tree draw distance by default.

1 Like

Well it looks like we’ll get our slider by 2022

Hey, I’m happy it’s already tagged as ‘Started’ in the development update, so it’s not too low on the priorities list.

2 Likes

This would be a great improvement, assuming it would also feature very, very, very far settings. One of the sad things is when you fly through the mountains and look out of the window - they are all flat without trees unless in your direct vicinity. Would be great to make our own choice about taking the performance penalty of rendering trees at like 5 x the current max distance or so.

1 Like

It’s still issue. Especial when zoomin

1 Like

That’s what LODs are for