Please fix GPU usage during installation

You would expect either the Internet connection (250 Mbps) or the CPU (i9 10850K) to be maxed out during installation, because of downloading and decompressing files but no… a RTX 3090 is maxed out with a static screen :frowning:
Please note that the GPU power profile I use is Balanced, not Prefer max performance.

Please
fix
it

Thanks

It’s quiet here, 200Mbs internet not going full tho’, but that’s a different problem

and a bit later

2080Ti here running at around 12% GPU hit while installing.

The OP might consider adding a FPS throttle to their card whilst in MSFS2020, say around 60fps. That way installs etc. won’t max out the GPU.

There are workarounds like limiting fps or simply running in window mode and making it as small as possible, but these are just workarounds. It’s absurd that this games uses GPU in such a manner during a several hour long download process. I have complained about this for more than a year.

This appears to be abug on some systems, I’m using a GTX 1080 and its only at 15% for me whilst downloading.

Limiting FPS does not help. It is already limited to 60FPS. 3080 about 80% usage.

My RTX 2080 is only using 8% cpu. I’ll happily swap cards if you want :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ooo. I wonder if they are using GPU for decompress duties or some other usage during installs?

This is about GPU usage, not CPU

My RTX 2080S only shows 3% usage…

No. It’s just rendering the progress bar at 1000 frames / second. Basically just wasting 300W of electricity.

1 Like

Just doing same and mine GPU works as it should

Fine. My RTX2080 is only showing 8% Gpu usage. Feel better now ?

Limit it to 30 and set monitor refresh to 60 and Vsync on.
You can reset them after when you have finished the download.

How do you do that ?? Once you load MSFS it goes into update mode and you can’t do anything…

I meant in the nvidia control panel

no high GPU usage over here…

Still high CPU on install in December 21, so not fixed.

RTX 2070 -93% GPU usage and download running between 6 - 10Mbit on a 30Mbit link. I really do not understand how its this bad if sourced from Azure CDS. The GPU usage is bonkers, and just burning power on my 2 day download… Please fix!

It’s Feb 2023 and it’s still high GPU usage during installation.
Lowering FPS in Nvidia control panel didn’t help.
The only partial workaround is to shrink the window and make it as small as possible. This lowered my 3070 GPU load from 30% to 6%

1 Like

Same problem here. The installation manager still uses around 25-30% of my GPU during downloading, with

• the window resized,
  • the max frames limited to 30, 60 - does not matter
  • VSync turned on or off,
  • the window minimzed to task bar.

What other options do exist?