Please Fix Photogrammetry and/or LOD

Sort of wonder how much of this is server load related.
I see a lot of folks post that the sim “looked great before…”

Would increased number of users requesting data streams from servers which are now also streaming data for more data heavy updated world regions explain the overall reduced quality of experience?

Even when paused for an extended period of time, the melted and spiky buildings are still there. It looked fantastic at launch, but as others have said this happened after they made a patch a couple months after launch. When the game launched, everything look fabulous and had good frame rates. When the game launched, the only place it looked bad was at street level - if you landed on a street and looked around at street level you would see geometric blobs for buildings. Now you see them from thousands of feet in air.

I’m not discounting the likely possibility that changes in the code are responsible, wholly or partially.
But I do think it’s worth recognising that we are now 3 world updates in. (There is more photogrammetry to stream than there was)
I’ve no idea what the online numbers look like now but presumably they too have increased.

So, code changes, increase in demand from connected flyers and increase in amount of data that needs to stream…I could see a lot of potential for faults to occur in that mix.

I have my bandwidth set to unlimited, but It never exceeds 40Mb/s on my 250Mb/s link. So yes MS are throttling their MSFS2020 servers. I can easily hit line rate when downloading Xbox updates, so there certainly seems to be a difference with the server environment.

Might be worth checking in Performance Monitor to see what servers your Flightsimulator.exe is connecting to.

I see Amazon and Akamai…

I am not so sure that it is always MS doing the throttling.
I have a 200Mbs connection and I typically see 40-150 Mbs downloads in MSFS.
I am more inclined to think that it is my ISP (Spectrum) who is throttling the data pipeline.

Just because you’re not getting full internet speeds when playing MSFS doesn’t necessarily mean that you’re being throttled. That may just be what MSFS needs to draw whatever it’s drawing on the screen. It won’t load more than it needs, because MSFS doesn’t know where you’ll go next.

Just for reference, Netflix states 25 Mbps is needed for 4K video. I know MSFS isn’t sending video, but it’s the best comparison we have.

I’d say that as long as you’re seeing peaks near the 50Mbps (as MS recommends), then you shouldn’t have a problem.

Gaudi would be proud…

this is what I get.

Uploading: Microsoft Flight Simulator Screenshot 2021.04.13 - 14.22.35.89.png… Uploading: Microsoft Flight Simulator Screenshot 2021.04.13 - 14.22.40.34.png…

Uploading: Microsoft Flight Simulator Screenshot 2021.04.13 - 14.22.40.34.png…

This is my scenery en specsl. info

Is your OBJECT LEVEL OF DETAIL set to 200? Any lower than that makes the melting much worse.

Yes. My GPU is rtx 3080. Sorry forgot to mention.

so has anyone got this problem with the bing photo data for the ground…? only started since WU4. feel like ive tried everything apart from a re-install and i dont want to spend 2 days re downloading.




doesnt matter where in the world its the same. this is stopping me from playing the simulator so any help is appreciated.

What is the issue, blurry textures?

yeah look at the bing textures/roads, past 1km if that.

I believe the OP reported the issue solved in another thread. The NVidia anisotropic filtering setting had been set to OFF, if I remember correctly.

Glad @blazemunky didn’t go the uninstall/reinstall sim route.

I still believe this is a lot to do with server speeds. Just before the last update, I was downloading the photogrammetry at almost line speed, and the areas looked much improved. It is like MS opened the throttles on the servers ready for the update. Within 48 hrs of the update being launched, I was back to maxing out at 15 - 20 Mb/s in the same areas.

So Since the previous few updates I have noticed a huge issue with the photogrammetry, as I have seen others have too.

At first I thought it was a rendering issue but it does not seem that way now. Flying low (500ish) it is not too noticeable and but Above that all the buildings around are flat and melted looking until you get directly above them.

It kinda sucks when you fly into our out of a nice city and everything looks flat and melted. Is something Asobo has to fix or is there something to help it now?

I ask because I see other simmers on social media post pics and videos of flying and they don’t seem to have any issue with cities looking melted and flat.

Appreciate any insight.

I fly a lot in US west coast cities (LA, SF, Portland, Seattle, and farther inland Las Vegas and Salt Lake) and haven’t noticed any regressions in their photogrammetry.

However the newly added cities like London and Paris do seem worse than the older cities, in that the photogrammetry building quality is often “rough” / “spikey” / “polygonal”.

I haven’t experienced anything I would describe as “melted” or “flat”.

I fly at “high-end” settings, currently at 3440x1440.