Please Fix Photogrammetry and/or LOD

You might want to double check and make sure you’re not using the old KSFO. It was updated from 0.1.39 to 0.1.40 at the same time as WU6. You need to update them manually in Content Manager. EHAM and a few others had updates also via content manager and seemingly not updated automatically with WU6.

Funny you mention that. Last night, having fired the sim up for the 2nd or 3rd time in the day, I had that firewall box pop up asking for network access. So it’s randomly happened after WU6 too.

I had changed nothing, updated nothing. :man_shrugging:t3:

1 Like

My theory is that the Flight Sim business unit gets charged back by the Microsoft mothership for using the servers, some apportioned amount based on amount of data streamed, and this is killing the business as the data usage by Flight Sim is way higher than they thought so they had to throttle it way back. This explains why you never hear them talk about the slow data feed issues.

4 Likes

I’m still seeing blobs in photogrammetry in areas that looked great before SU6. I read that they made some undisclosed adjustments but it does not appear to have changed anything for me. Have a very fast connection here. Do we know if they are still working on it?

1 Like

@moxiejeff Speaking of KSFO. . . I have tried numerous times to load into the airport with a default aircraft and when I click fly, the loading screen gets about half bar and then stops loading. I check task manager and it shows MSFS as not responding. I have to close it via task manager. Content manager shows it as up to date and I have uninstalled and reinstalled it and still can’t load into it… :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Glad it’s not just me. I checked my content manager, yesterday, and had no new updates, so there’s something going on with KSFO from a networking standpoint. I was able to load in/spawn, start up the FBW 320, but then my FPS stayed around 8fps all the way until FL200. It was ridiculous.

Sure hope Asobo can figure this out.

2 Likes

Sounds like the airport needs an update … Can only suggest avoiding or uninstalling it for now

2 Likes

Must be because you are zooming and your expectation is too high. I was just at JFK yesterday that’s exactly what the Manhattan skyline looks like from there, indiscernible triangular blobs. I think we just have to accept that ASOBO doesn’t see this as a problem and refuses to fix it or even acknowledge it.

1 Like

You’re the first person I’ve come across who agrees with my theory that the optimisations of SU5 are not all to do with sim performance on xbox but mostly to do with server time and ms bandwidth. This might explain why some people say it is great and others are having a terrible time. I was having a terrible time. I don’t see this ever being fixed so I uninstalled and given up on simming for 6 months. If MS had some sense why not offer a premium service for 5 gbp per month so you can get more bandwidth and server time from them. I’m sure they could techincally do this as, at paranoid moments, I’ve suspected they’ve already done this for popular YouTube channels, many of which seem unaffected bt SU5. But thats just me being paranoid… right? Just like thinking they might be doing something to make their previews look so unbelievably good. Unbelievably.

1 Like

There’s definitely something going on with servers I’m convinced now.

3 Likes

Do anyone think there will be a big update for Bing Maps with Windows 11?

Resources are obviously getting stretched in some areas since the Xbox release so there’s probably a bit of firefighting going on to keep the sim running. Surprisingly MS are usually pretty quick to react to such events so if you are unfortunate to be hit it should only be for a matter of days while they update, reallocate or renew what they need to. However that won’t cure bad internet blackspots between client and server that many simmers are suffering from. This is regardless of how fast their service is as beyond their ISP it’s very much like the wild west. Best test would be to ping the MSFS servers for your country/ area if you can get their IP address. And any ping above 50ms is bordering rubbish IMO.

1 Like

I don’t see the connection. Maybe the Maps app will get an update, but I doubt the source data used for MSFS will change due to W11.

I thought maybe they would add more photogrammetry that in turn would end up in the sim

It explains why photogrammetry worked beautiful at launch and then suddenly photogrammetry was broken all at once resulting in melted buildings with no response from MS in almost a year other than we are looking into it. I can think of many games that launched poorly and eventually get their act together over a couple years, but I can’t think of any other game except MSFS that was great at launch and then had the main graphics feature of the game broke over night and then be essentially ignored by the developers. It has to be because it is not a problem with the software but something intentional done due to the heavy load of MSFS on the servers. If they could fix the pre-cache feature so that it worked as it is supposed to, maybe they could solve some of the bandwidth issue.

7 Likes

It’s not just bandwidth, photogrammetry is now also morphing at close range similar to mountains. RAM is hardly being used.

Terrain and objects at 200

6 Likes

Hey all - some BIG news from today’s q&a - sim update 6 is increasing LOD distance, even at extremely high altitudes AND the LOD terrain distance can now increase to 400 (vs 200).

FINALLY! This is what most of us in this thread have been waiting for!!!

Pic (taken from my phone, sorry) shows 30,000 ft view and see how 4k ultra looks even with photogrammetry being rendered!

7 Likes

Yep, sounds like great news

2 Likes

Outstading news! We’ve been waiting for this for so long! Thanks for sharing with us in this thread!

2 Likes

Thanks @JBruno182 – this thread has been a huge reason, I believe, in why Asobo is fixing this issue!

4 Likes