Please Fix Photogrammetry and/or LOD

When I last visited Rome a few weeks ago now the POIs were looking really good. I could actually see the plastic sheeting over the scaffolding where they are working on the Colosseum. There hasn’t been any updates since then so its got to be a server side issue.

:wave: Thank you using the Bug section, using templates provided will greatly help the team reproducing the issue and ease the process of fixing it.

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

NO

Brief description of the issue:

Even with the settings on ultra the cities and the structures in approach continue to be degraded and horrible to the eye. It always looks flat on the horizon and graphics playback is very slow. The performances are not great and there are still several stuttering. This simulator was beautifully presented but over time it is unfortunately proving to be a close relative of the old FSX. Please do something. I can’t believe that this is it.

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

Several people showed basically the same identical photos that make the idea very clear of what I’m talking about. Melted buildings and desert at the horizon at 5 miles from big cities or airports.

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

Every single flight and in any place I’m flying on I encounter the same scenario and issues

PC specs and/or peripheral set up if relevant:

Ryzen 5950x Nvidia Rtx 3090 Ram 32gb

Are you using DX12?

No

Are you using DLSS?

Are you using the multi monitor feature?

No

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

Are you using DX12?

Are you using DLSS?

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

Here is just one pic for example with LOD 300. Airfield is just 7 miles ahead and we are 2000ft up. is vfr approach possible? :slight_smile:

I’ll be honest, I’m looking at your screen shots with Photogramic scenery On and Off, and I cannot see what you are unhappy with. Personally I am blown away with how this Sim looks…but I benefit from the hindsight of flying all the MSFS versions back to Version 2 in 1983 and how funny those graphics were back then (but they were cool at the time). I am also a Commercial pilot for a large air carrier and I frequently fly in the sim to places I have just been to in real life…and usually, I basically cannot tell the difference (my specs are as follows…Xbox Series X)
microsoft-flight-simulator-98_23

1 Like

I know optimization plays a role, but it’s really not a nice sight to see PG areas look like they were melting from heat.
or the building shapes turning into weird spikes and triangles.

All the nice hard work from the WU teams just to make it look like this in the end.
I’m sure the data is there, it’s just not rendered correctly.
maybe add a new option to set Buildings in settings a notch higher to get rid of molten PG?

1 Like

Im pretty sure that this is a server / network issue. I know there are rows of those blocky unformed masses along the runway, except when the net here is real good, they can also be trees. Same with the ‘nuked’ looking bldgs, the data just isnt getting to the client fast enough.

I know I was seeing this, and I ran a couple of checks on the connections the sim was making. The connection with the highest amount of data being transferred, msn was kicking a 50% packet loss (*not latency) on two different machines.

So 1 out 2 packets were actually making it to my machine intact. And the result was what your describing above.

2 years since the O.P. and…… doesn’t seem like this is high on the agenda given that nothing has changed.

2 Likes

Even though there is 50% packet lost, you are still getting 100% of the data. Your network is doing a lot of additional work in having packets retransmitted. Did you run the Windows Network Troubleshooter?

The packet loss isnt on my machine / router / or even ISP’s network, it when it makes the jump to the msnet.net network is where you see the packet loss. The second busiest (moving data across the net) akamai comes back perfectly clean.

Pretty simple to see if you use the right tools. And Ive been doing it since Al Gore invented the internet.

I guess I don’t have the right tools… i occasionally run network traces whenever I suspect network problems and I have seen errors to/from a specific address but it doesn’t show me where in the network the problem is.

I would think that if you are seeing 50% packet loss at msn, then EVERYONE that uses msn would be seeing it or at least impacted by it and filling these and other forums reporting their problem.

Alot are having the ‘your connection’ error for the last couple of days. Get pingplotter its free, you can see continuous how the traffics flowing to any site. It’ll show you if your ISP is screwing you, if theres and issue between here and there, or an issue there.

Nifty little tool. When I noticed the problem was about the time people start posting about connection errors.

Sorry, but by the photogrammetry from Amsterdam there is a hole area missing, i live in this town, Amsterdam Downtown, East and South is very good, but Amsterdam West, SouthWest etc are terrible, Bing Photo is there, but no any house…

I don’t think it’s fixable, in all honesty, which is why it’s been ignored since the day I created it. PG never looks great, unless you’re flying a prop plane going 120knots at 2,000 ft over the skyscraper. I’ve yet to see a marketing video in an airliner where a downtown skyline is in the distance and the PG is fully rendered (note that 3rd party skylines DO look good from a distance, but native PG from Asobo, not so much).

Sigh. So I’ve given up on that.

2 Likes

Is there any possibility that PG will be improved in this server update?

Good question assuming you mean the migration stated at the top of the page. However the world is big so even then it’s likely to be nowhere near where you actually want it improved. But if you meant the Sim Update 11 then no, I wouldn’t think so.

No. No enhancements and it appears live weather is broken, again.

The photogrammetry in Los Angeles is not loading in properly. Spawned in Marseilles where it looks amazing.
In LA the drone camera also freezes and I have to CTRL-ALT-Delete out of the game. This must be a bug in the game.
The two first pictures is from Marseille and the two last one from LA (right before the game freeze).

1 Like

I had that from day one.

:sob:

It’s actually normal, not all photogrammetry is of the same quality especially on it’s outskirts. Some is straight out of the Bing box and has never had any attention by hand. The age of PG also plays a part and by who it was captured and what with: Technology changes.

Is this goin to be fixed ? It’s horrible !! every airport I take off from to get a wing view look at the city , it’s apocalyptic melted buildings with spikes ! Doesn’t look real it’s horrible ! Is this goin to be fixed or do we have to drop like $1000 on all payware CITY addons for these melted building cities to show accuracy ? Is this goin to be fixed in SU11 ?

4 Likes