Please, get rid of these stupid USR waypoints

As in the title.

These USR waypoints add so much misery to IFR flying that I will willingly pay someone to write a proper ATC program.

For me, they are the worst factor in this ‘simulator’, particularly when flying passenger jets; A320, etc

Feel free to comment.

6 Likes

It has nothing to do with ATC. It has to do with the G1000/3000. Unfortunately, the WorkingTitle mod doesn’t fix the issue.

The GNS530 mod (used in the steam guage 172 and Carenado planes) actually fixes that issue. Or at least internally works around it. So it should be possible to code around it for the G1000/3000 implementations as well.

The G1000/3000 are not used in passenger jets, A320 etc.

And it is the ATC logic at fault, not the avionics.

The issue is the core autopilot routines, which are a common core library shared by all planes with AP functionality, regardless of the FMC type in the plane. I should have been more specific in my post about that.

3 Likes

Thank you for the clarification.

I’d still happily pay for something that worked though, lol.

As a work around, you can use the DIR TO function or use the heading selector on the FCU to steer your aircraft…or even fly manually.

1 Like

$50k - $100k ? Realistically, the GNS530 mod has taken a professional programmer 600+ hours to get as far as he has, which is a good $50K, if you are talking PAYING …

3 Likes

Lol. Good point.

Unfortunately, the DIR TO is what sets up the USR waypoints when changing course during flight.

1 Like

Yes indeed, to tell you the truth, I use heading select during the last stages of the flight !

1 Like

Typically this happens when you enter then activate an instrument approach.

What I’ve learned to do to work around this is to first sync my heading, then switch to HDG mode. Then I activate my approach. Sometimes I get lucky and it doesn’t put a USR point way behind me making me turn around. If I won the AP lottery, I just revert to NAV mode and all is well.

If I lose the AP lottery, I’ll just do a direct to my waypoint that’s the entry point of my pattern. Once I reach it, I manually activate NEXT LEG of the approach. That seems to worlk for me.

But of course, we shouldn’t HAVE to do that. It’s ridiculous that we do. And it’s even more mind boggling that such badly broken basic functionality hasn’t even been looked at yet. The soonest we can expect fixes to the AP is the Feb update. And if I’m being honest, my expectations are pretty low that they’ll get this working.

I’d also buy a paid mod to fix this if it was available.

6 Likes

Good excuse to go back to basic, and get a refresher in basic Nav Radio Navigation without a GPS !!! If you feel really adventurous and are bored, learn to (or practice ) flying a DME Arc, and few NDB approached (with the GPS turned off) and LNM running hidden, so you can go back and see what you did or didn’t do right !!! !!!

1 Like

Now if I only knew how to do any of those things. lol

Working Title have just released their latest CJ mod, and in it they have completely bypassed the MSFS flight plan management system, creating their own instead, and it works perfectly! No silly user waypoints, DIR to that works, even within an approach, no stupid off track curved routes etc.

Now if a volunteer freeware team can produce a realistic, functional navigation/flight plan system in 4 months, makes me wonder what the hell Asobo have been doing for the last few years…

Making giraffes and bears?

10 Likes

I’m glad to hear that. I don’t care much for the CJ4 so don’t know much about it (more of a Longitude guy). But glad to hear that they’ve eliminated that stupid bug Asobo can’t seem to fix.

Hopefully those changes find their way into their Garmin mods as well. Outside of the CJ4, we haven’t really heard anything else out of the WT team in some time. Hopefully this new FMC code finds its way to the Garmins.

1 Like

With respect, that isn’t the point. ATPs are required to use ‘all navigational aids appropriate to the situation’…and they do, every day, as required.

Don’t forget the elephants (which I like in real life)…but they don’t help with IFR navigation and DME/VOR or ILS approaches lol.

1 Like

I don’t understand what you are talking about… RW, the SIM, Fanatasy.

MY point was, while some of the GPS systems are not working correctly (in MSFS) , its a good excuse to go back, and refresh your use of the more basic nav VOR/NDB, ILS navigation instruments.
Its all very well saying you should use “all nav aids appropriate to the situation”, but if your situation is a failed GPS system, and you have forgotten how to use anything else, then you are “helically challenged”.

There are “Pilots” here in MSFS, flying complex aircraft, with complex GPS systems, and programing them, and thinking they can fly, and then asking questions like “are all ILS’s on the same frequency” !!!

None of my business, and really none of my concern … just saying , if the Asobo GPS systems are not working correctly, there are “alternatives”

5 Likes

Let me put it another way:

I am fortunate in that I understand how to fly…and I should do after 25 years flying commercial.

My point is that the airliner systems should work and are essential to the flying of commercial aircraft. In the A320 for example, the navigation systems in the MCDU do not function properly. This means that every flight is effectively under ‘emergency situation’ conditions when, as you correctly state, basic navigational skills come into play.

My only point therefore, is that they should function properly in order to replicate the ‘normal’ conditions of commercial airliner flight.

1 Like

OK… Agreed – they SHOULD … but they don’t. So what to do ?

Ground all MSFS aircraft till they are fixed – as you would probably be forced do in RL ??