Please Reduce DC3 Ground Yaw Momentum

DC3 model seems to have excessive and unrealistic momentum in yaw whenever its on the runway at any speed sufficient to lift the tail wheel. Once it starts turning only a very heavy rudder application will straighten it but then the momentum of the correction swings yaw violently to the other side.
No other tail-draggers in MSFS have this problem. I have to believe the actual DC3 could not have such an extreme yaw characteristic otherwise it would have been infamous for such a problem.

Are you locking the tailwheel for T/O?

2 Likes

“Any speed sufficient to LIFT THE TAILWHEEL.”

1 Like

I’ve been fighting just this phenomenon in nearly all tail-draggers, to a greater or lesser extent.

That is pretty much why tricycle gear became the norm for just about any new design😉
And it is why you do need a tailweel endorsement before you can legally fly as PIC in an airplane with that configuration.
In the DC3 it very much depends on the location of your CG relative to the main gear at that specific point in takeoff or landing.
It is all about momentum and leverage.
And of course effectiveness of the rudder during the transition from tail down to tail fully up. In between the rudder is blocked out at least partially by the fuselage.
The trick is to unstick the tail at just the right speed and get it up into the relative wind quickly without over rotating and before the wing lifts and stalls.

And finally all tailwheel aircraft require active feet from the time you remove the tie downs until you put them back on.

4 Likes

I remember spending a whole day in FSX practising ground handling in the piper, after that things became pretty instinctive for any tail draggers (and float planes for that matter)

That’s why on taildraggers when you pass a certain speed on the takeoff roll, you should push slightly forward to get the tail up. (You have to work the speed out yourself I’m afraid)

So that the fuselage is blocking the rudder for as little time as possible once the tailwheel lifts off.

@SeaCelery810439 Taildraggers are just like that in real life I’m afraid, try the tip I posted above, and maybe move your CG forward if it’s a long way back (as @SaratogaPilot87 said).

Which is why this was my next sentence😉

1 Like

Sorry! I don’t know how I missed that!

I read your whole post but thought you hadn’t said it for some reason, I was probably still half asleep lol :sleeping: :crazy_face:

1 Like

Even some tricycle planes ( at least the F-16) are having a nosewheel lock to prevent from unwanted off-runway excursions.
It should be activated above 60 kts

I just saw a video about the three-wheel touchdown technique for DC3. Tried it, and it actually worked very well even on the first try. Float down the runway for a long time with nose high just above stall speed, only a couple feet off the tarmac and when it settles to the ground the tail is on the ground a second later. Happens at low airspeed so steering nust be, and can be done (carefully) by tailwheel right away, and application of brakes is not a problem. It feels like you are using a lot of runway as you float, but the speed is slow and when you do get wheels down the brakes stop you quickly.

Now I wonder if it will work in a crosswind?

Ok… am lucky to have flown quite a few different airplanes, even a few rather rare ones, but the F-16 is unfortunately not one of them.
Having seen a Falcon take off though a few times I don’t think it spends much time in that range between 0 and 60. And I would guess at about 90 kts or so the nose was slightly up, though I couldn’t say for sure if that was high enough to lift the nose wheel.
Another thing to research I guess :smiley: