Please Relocate our Activities, Missions, Flight Plans, from Roaming to Documents

Can we please start a thread on backing up MSFS? Most of the comments are for MS Store. I have not seen much on the Steam backup.

For Steam:
1)MSFS to the Steam folder to D:%Steam%\steamapps\common as normal.
2)Packages for MSFS on Steam where we redirect them to D:%packages%
3)Rolling Cache to D:%Rolling Cache% from the Data settings in MSFS
4)C:%appdata%\Roaming\Microsoft Flight Simulator (Key Backup: Flight Plans, Activities, Progress)
5)C:%appdata%\Local\Flight Simulator (this might not be necessary to backup)

So for Steam, we need to backup all Missions, Activities, Flight Plans, Flights, and other Configuration saved data from C:%appdata%\roaming\Microsoft Flight Simulator or you will lose that data after a C drive.

So if you have to reinstall windows on C, and therefore uninstall MSFS2020 on Steam, you absolutely need to backup C:%appdata%\Roaming\Microsoft Flight Simulator or all your progress will be gone.

Almost every application stores their data in AppData (which shouldn’t be surprising!) though, so you should still back that up if you want to have stuff backed up. I back up C:\Users with the exception of the MSFS install folder, the Temp folder, and pretty much no other exceptions.

Why can’t you simply back up that either AppData in full or at least the Roaming\MSFS folder?

1 Like

I have slightly edited your topic title to remove the capitalization and exclamation. These are generally in contravention of the Code of Conduct: Code of Conduct - Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums

Thanks for your understanding

Yes, I should have mentioned that I am backing up roaming\msfs now after losing about 20 hours of progress. Fortunately, I learned this sooner than later because I assumed it was getting synced to Azure like the controller settings. And I understand other games “utilize” the roaming folder, but they don’t store hundreds of hours of progress and flight plans and other significant user data there. They map them to documents so we control our data and manage it in a working order. Nevertheless, I am mainly putting this notice and information out there so everyone is aware and they don’t lose hundreds of hours of progress by simply rebuilding C.

I agree, why?

I am MS Store so if this is only STEAM related, I’ll ignore this POST.

Edit: I should state that I backup my whole PC.

Once you find the folder location, right-click the Quick Access header in the left side nav area and choose Pin Location.

Edit: Didn’t read close enough at first - thought this was just looking for easy access to the files.

As my subject indicates, the point here is to inform people where MSFS buries the progress data and that they need to back it up prior to rebuilding C. But rather than being surprised and losing progress data, MSFS should put progress data and other critical data in a more manageable location like in Documents. It’s not about knowing how to back it up.

In essence, I am trying to warn people here from the aforementioned statement.

CMD MkLink is your friend