Please stop WORLD UPDATES in EUROPE...and create WU in South America

After almost 3,5 years with MSFS, Asobo launch 15 World Updates:

• 8 updates in Europe (III in UK, IV in France, V in Nordics, VI in Germany, VIII in Spain, IX in Italy, XIV in Central Europe, and XV in Nordics - again -); represents 53% World Updates. This is excessive, and simmers around the world are waiting updates in another places. Please STOP working only in Europe.

• 3 updates in North America (II in USA, X in USA - again -, and XI in Canada); represents 20% World Updates. Please STOP working only in first world countries.

• 3 updates in Oceania (VIII in Australia, XII in New Zealand and XIII in Oceania); represents 20% World Updates.

• 1 update in Asia (I in Japan); represents 7% World Updates.

• 0 updates in Africa; i know; few data available, but in 3,5 years after launch MSFS, maybe South Africaā€¦something please.

• 0 updates in South America (Latin America); i know; again in 3,5 years after launch MSFS, some island, Central America, somethingā€¦please

• 0 updates in Antartic; no problemā€¦that can be the last one

But please, we are waiting for World Updates in another countries (not only Europe / USA)ā€¦please ā€¦hear the simmers voice.

18 Likes

Yeah, give the South Americans some loveā€¦ :two_hearts:

6 Likes

Seriously show the Caribbean, Central and South America some love already sheeshā€¦:unamused: We get Asobo are based out of France, and we may all have our own individual biases, but its hard to get excited about another Europe WU.:yawning_face:
These WUā€™s are becoming quite stale and BORING!

5 Likes

The issue is the data required, which is simply much more concise for Europe, North America and parts of Asia (such as Japan). Iā€™d love to see Brazil get a World Update ā€” and I think that will be the first of the more challenging areas of the world ā€” however weā€™ve just got to be patient.

I mean, how exactly does a French company, backed by a US mega-corporation, procure data for somewhere like China or Venezuela?

14 Likes

Having retired to Cuenca, Ecuador over 6 years ago I desperately want to see better geographical updates for S. America. Especially for the Andes. It is so beautiful down here and the MSFS scenery is really not very good in comparison, not by a long shot. I would surely welcome a bit of focus on this region as I rarely fly European excursions.

Keep seeing lack of data being mentioned for these sort of areas yet theyā€™ve just released WU Greenland.

Iā€™m sure if they can do Greenland then they can do India, Africa & South America.

I think the more likely answer is that Microsoft can see there arenā€™t many players in these areas but that doesnā€™t mean we donā€™t want to fly them.

2 Likes

Yes, because itā€™s not the data itself which is the Problem. The problem actually is they need official permission from the government, find a local organizations to create aerial photos (for photogrammetry), maybe need to let the government review the data (due to restricted areas) to finally be able to process the raw material.

For western states thatā€™s not a big issue, for states in Africa, the Middle East, China and Southern America itā€™s a different story if a company like Microsoft which is based in the USA asks to make aerial photos or is asking for satellite data of the whole countryā€¦

The list above basically shows that as all of the nation are somewhat neutral or have some positive relationship to the USA :wink:
Even if gaming itself is not be political - I think in the end it plays a big role here as itā€™s sensitive data for certain countries.

13 Likes

Ok thanks

I can see most of the world on Bing maps including sensitive areas Iā€™m sure most countries wouldnā€™t want you to see so Iā€™m sure Bing doesnā€™t have official agreement with a lot of these countries to publish this yet they still do.

And even if they do need permission Iā€™m sure most of Middle East/ Africa/ South America would be ok with working with Bing/ Microsoft/ USA.

Aerial photos I can understand a bit more.

Genuine question as I honestly donā€™t know the answer.

But I would be surprised if player data didnā€™t play a big part.

1 Like

Ditto for World Updates in America/USA.

Itā€™s the TIN (photogrammetry). As youā€™ll have noticed, world updates always include 3D cities, itā€™s a major selling point of the sim. Imagine if they did a WU Brazil with a few POI, updated satellite but no photogrammetry. Maybe a small section of the user base would be happy but in general Iā€™m sure thereā€™d be an outcry.

To get the photogrammetry they need to fly specially equipped planes over cities at low level in effectively a search pattern. Often they have to use local companies for this, which is probably one reason why the TIN is of such variable quality between WU. Therefore they need local companies with this capability, and approval to fly these routes.

Three was a good discussion on this on the last dev livestream which you can read below. Itā€™s too long to paste here. Scroll quite a long way down until you get to the heading ā€œAvailability of Data in World Updatesā€ or you could watch the video of preferred.

I will take one quote from there: ā€œIā€™ve been trying to do what needs to be done to get Brazil 3D cities. It even went as far as me thinking about creating a new company, renting our own planes, buying our own camerasā€ which illustrates the problem.

We all want South America, Africa, and lots more of Asia, but itā€™s just not always possible.

Itā€™s not all bad news, Jorgā€™s piece above ends with some better news about Brazil.

6 Likes

Been doing a world capitals tour the low and slow way. There are a lot of beautiful areas in Central and South America, Africa and Asia. There are areas with nicely looking fields or paddies surrounding small (generic modelled but still good looking) villages - and then there are big chunks of green or brown.
Itā€™s a total hit or miss, all according to the quality and age of the available (and maybe payable) data. And it is understandable, you canā€™t replicate in the sim what you donā€™t have. There are also parts of Europe without the bing-map textures, because there was no available data when they created the ā€œworldā€ for MSFS.

1 Like

I disagree, i have no interest flying these places, I would rather have improvements made to the areas that I regularly fly.

I understand that everyone wants to fly in their own areas included , but as per the reasons already mentioned itā€™s not going to happen for some.

Might want to make the complaint to local government, that because of their lack of sharing, msfs cannot implement the country you like to fly overā€¦ or that thereā€™s just no data available, as itā€™s not important enough on the agenda of those running the country to have every square inch of the country registered in digital mesh.

Iā€™d love to fly over other countries, i actually do quite alot, and i feel your painā€¦ itā€™s just that not everyone in local government is into flightsimming and ā€œgets itā€ā€¦

Gradually more data will become available for ms/asobo to play around withā€¦ but i reckon the defense department of any country will go ape if they produce it without the nationā€™s consent, i guess itā€™s also the trust and recognition that has to be built.

If the rest of the world wasnā€™t ms/asoboā€™s concern, whyā€™d they call it ā€œWorld updatesā€ in the first place?

Nobody cares for africa. Its simply not important in flying.
I mean, look at Flightradar24. And how many simmers are from africa? ā€¦Not so much. But much more from europa and north america. Thatā€˜s the reason why the focus is on these regions.

For me TIN photogrammetry cities are just a bonus. Whatā€™s really important to me is that the DEM is high resolution and that the landscape isnā€™t littered with cloud patches and super ugly default texture patches where the clouds were removed by AI.

I will happily accept an update that improves on that even with not a single 3D city or POI included. For the most part POIs are tiny dots in the distance and pretty much a waste of space and time anyway. I probably havenā€™t seen 99% of the POIs yet.

You do realise itā€™s a sim, donā€™t you? I mean, simmers donā€™t want to literally fly there, they want to explore it in the sim.

2 Likes

There are countries like TĆ¼rkiye that still do not receive the update. I think enough updates have been made to other continents such as America.

During these chilly months here in the north, Chile would be nice. I have no beef about doing Argentina but I would go nuts if Brazil was shown some love.

1 Like

I donā€˜t know anybody who wants ā€žto exploreā€œ in a big sandbox.

Well itā€™s a large number of MSFS users for sure. Thereā€™s so many threads just on this forum about people exploring all over the world.

1 Like