Please switch over to Google Earth

This issue was adressed in the closed alpha numerous of times, but it seems that you, Microsoft, understandably is not too fond of switching over to a competitor for providing a service of geometry and sattelite imagery, but please hear us out.

The data that Bing provides is INCORRECT. It may be photorealistic in a sense that a very few parts of the world have been 3d-scanned and all that and thus appear in a higher resolution that usual and with a higher level of detail as well. But when Bing brings outdated and direct incorrect images of the world, it doesn’t make any sense to use this!
Google (the ones, which name must not be mentioned, I know) have perfected this into a roughly annual/biannual refresh-rate for most parts of the developed world, which in sim-language essentially means that if you have just built your house, you might actually be able to fly over it in MSFS next year or the year after - not in 6 years!
Yes, you heard me. SIX years. That’s roughly how old some of the data in MSFS is in some regions. A lot has happened since.
So Microsoft. Please. Listen to your testers; form a partnership in some way with Google, like you did with the weather services, and create the best of both worlds into a state-of-the-art flight sim!

Also, the autogenerated areas are (as you probably already know) faulty as well.

For the millions time, using google will be expensive and you will have to pay per month subscription, you will just make expensive software that no one will ever want to buy, subscription based per month will not works.

Using google will need to redone all fix from scratch for those all faulty photo sat,tiles, clouds on photo sat, incorrect colour match and such. Google do not provide clouds and expensive low latency servers, IT, software management and all stuff require, bandwidth cost per months for tons of users, google only provide photo sat\ photogrammetry nothing more.

There is Bing update coming, not sure where which location but this is on going process and will have modelled airports, they will provide details when available.

43 Likes

Yes! And while we’re at it, I’d appreciate if you upvoted my thread on the Pepsi forums where I ask them to switch to Coke’s recipe.

124 Likes

…and Microsoft owns Bing, so why would they go into partnership with Google? MS has promised updates to their map data. You’ll be seeing in come thru in the “world” updates they promise.

17 Likes

For MS to approach Google would be much like buying a new car then every time you need to drive somewhere getting in a cab instead.

When you consider what you get with MSFS in the advances it provides for flight simming and the entry level price you pay, it is actually value for money. There was quite a grumbling of concern MSFS would actually require a subscription price-plan, thankfully this was not the case. In a scenario where MS were to pay a third party for this kind of data the price would have shot up and/or there would be a subscription fee. No thanks.

While I understand that a Google may well be more upto date, what MSFS provides out of the box is a massive improvement to what has been provided to date in any sim. As pointed out it has been stated updates will follow.

9 Likes

Bottom line, never going to happen since microsoft already owns this data. This would be like the new Corvette using a Ford engine.

7 Likes

Never gonna happen the cost of the sim would likely become unviable to keep going with.

1 Like

Never will they do this, FYI

thats the fourth road bridge (famous red cantilever bridge) missing in this game. Lots of scenery landmarks are missing. Microsoft, if its up to us to fix it, then I hope we are not the guinea pigs to update Bings maps for you?

5 Likes

Thanks to MSFS Bing maps will improve, and this will be great for us, so google maps will have a Strong Competitor :slight_smile:

8 Likes

This is literally half a mile off to the side of the runway of one of the handcrafted airports:

(Forgot which one, though)

PS. Terrain LOD is at 200

5 Likes

Since when has MS ever kept a promise?

3 Likes

This. Prior to the release of FS not many people used Bing compared to Google, now there are hundreds of thousands of players using Bing to fly around. Hopefully the release of FS will get the Bing team some extra resources to improve their data.

7 Likes

the release of FS will get the Bing team some extra resources to improve their data.

Hmm nope, not comfortable with that, all it take is for people to copy Google terrain data and Google models and Microsoft will find a lawsuit very soon.

1 Like

I’m no fan of Bing Maps, but people need to remember Google Maps was this bad once. It improved. Give them a chance.

10 Likes

There are also areas where Bing data is newer than Google; along with birds eye “3D” imagery whereas Google does not.

5 Likes

I believe this may already be happening.

While your rationale for using the superior maps is sound, your request is not going to happen and utterly pointless. Google and Microsoft are mapping competitors.

While you are at it, get AMD to use NVIDIA chips too…

Take a deep breath and think it out… not gonna happen

10 Likes

This is so much an impossibility that it must be considered as a troll post.

Sadly, given the number of responses (mine included :frowning: ), it has been a successful one…

2 Likes

there is no incentive also if they switch it would most likely either have to be expensive for the user or become a subscription

6 year old images… people are never happy.

6 Likes