Please Turn the Planes Around

A smart private pilot does not park so that he can’t turn the plane around on engine power. If he does he has to fix his actions with muscle power.

Same with a motorcycle btw and every student rider learns it the hard way lol… never park your bike downhill against a garage door. xD

In both cases you’ll earn laughing fellows.

In the sim I usually use slew to turn my airplane around as I would not find it parked straight against a wall. GA parkings are normally planned so you can taxi out normally and small airfields don’t have definite parkings anyway, aircraft park wherever it makes sense. At our local club we pull the planes out of the hangar to their typical position and after their flight they usually park there again, always with enough space to taxi out without the requirement to turn their props horizontal to pull them ^^ The sim however by default requires these definite parking spots and they lead in straight towards the fence, wall, etc. And it will load up so. Should really be finally turned around after all these years of the same logical mistake.

I had a talk with a pilot who always puts his airplane on jacks to take load from his tires… there are several funny rules and recommendations out there and hardly any of them make much sense except to some biro cowboys ^^

Yeah, well I must admit rotating a metal prop to the one o’clock position every time you park to avoid bird droppings seems a touch whacko .

2 Likes

While reading this topic as I tried to taxy my way out of the German Kassel Airport I saw somebody dealing with the problem mentioned in this topic, and more…

1 Like

^^ I’m looking at the red plane in the photo and thinking, “I don’t get it… what’s the problem.” ^^

Then I see the blue plane with the flattened face. Lol.

Jim-Sim

2 Likes

A quick post: This suggestion got pushed up the developers. In their hands now if/when they implement it. :wink:

Thank you @anon17491698!

4 Likes

Awesome news, Hester, thank you!!!

1 Like

As a pilot it bothers me that the sim sets the planes on the T backwards. It is like whoever decided how to park planes in the Sim never actually flew real planes and just guessed at how a plane should be placed over the T. There must be some universal setting that is forcing the plane placement

1 Like

How many three and four blade wooden props have you seen??

I have to press Y and use slew mode to turn the aircraft around in some situations when pushback doesn’t seem to be available.

Doesn’t Shift-P pushback work everywhere? I thought it did.

No idea. I never pressed Shift+P before. I was always asking ATC ground. I’ll keep that in mind.

1 Like

Randomly picking an airport gate parking spot sometimes (often) results in the nose of the plane facing a building, or some other object.
This is fine when there are pushback services available. But at a small airport without them…

When parking at an airport without ground services, please make the plane face out towards the taxiway.

You could just press shift+p for pushback?…

1 Like

Most airliners in the sim are capable of reversing with thrust reversers.

I don’t fly airliners.

Does that work if there are no push-back carts at the airport? IOW, would my GA plane magically push itself back? Thanks.

I’ll try it.

If it is capable, yes the turboprops can. But not fixed pitch prop planes.

Maybe I’m asking too much to have my Bonanza face towards the taxiway when I start C&D at gate parking at an airport without pushback carts.