PMDG 737 Discussion (PC Version) (Part 1)

I remember reading about the auto brake disengagement. You need to double tap on the brakes and also press the brake harder than it’s already braking. Or something like that.

I tend to take over the braking myself when below 60kts or so and it seems to work to disengage the auto brakes.

Hope this helps.

I think it’s 40kts.

I would like to ask a question to the real-life pilots that we are lucky to have on this thread, if I may. Maybe they have answered it or talked about it already, but I haven’t found anything.
While in flight, in what specific situations is it necessary to turn on the anti-icing? Should we wait for the “ice detected” alarm for turning it on?

1 Like

I believe the standard is below 3C and visible moisture.

1 Like

I think it’s 10C

1 Like

No ice detection alert exists for 737s, as far as I’m aware.

Engine anti-ice: on during climb and cruise any time you’re in visible moisture, TAT less than 10c, unless SAT is below -40c. In descent, on in visible moisture and TAT less than 10c, regardless of SAT.

Wing anti-ice: Boeing treats this more like a de-icing system; they recommend waiting until you have a visible accumulation of structural ice, and then momentarily activating wing anti-ice to remove it.

8 Likes

How do pilot’s monitor visible ice accumulation? By buildup on the wipers / windscreen?

You can see the outer portion of the wing and winglets from the cockpit, even in a -900 / Max9. But yep, the wiper bolt makes a great ice accumulator. If you look at your buddy’s instead of your own, the more sideways perspective shows ice easily.

5 Likes

Anytime there is visible moisture and the TAT is at 10 degrees or below.

When the SAT drops below -40 (which you can see on prog page 2 in the FMC if I remember correctly) then it can be turned off. In the descent if you’re in visible moisture it goes on regardless of SAT.

In the 737 the procedure is to put the start switches to CONT then put the anti-icing on. You’ll see the valve light go bright blue which indicates the valve is in transit then a dimmer blue which indicates the valve is in position and warm air is flowing. When turning it off it is anti-ice switches first, confirm the lights have gone out then return the start switches to OFF.

HTH

Apologies, I just saw I duplicated StearmanDriver’s post.

Just on the wing anti-icing, that’s what the wing light is for, spotting leading edge wing icing at night. I found you got a 6th sense for it, often in the descent when it got a bit bumpy out of nowhere you’d put the light on to check and there would be a solid white line of ice right along the leading edge. It was always very satisfying putting on the wing icing and watching it disappear!

6 Likes

Yes! Except the outer slat. Guess we’re not using that part of the wing. :joy:

Is this an effect to indicate hard deceleration (which would explain the tire/brake anomaly)? Or, could it be a duplicate keybind where, say, opening the reversers also pans your view downward?

The 737-300 and -500 definitely cleared the whole leading edge. I don’t remember ever using it in anger on the -400 but don’t remember it being different in the books. It could have been though. I don’t have any FCOM’s anymore for it so couldn’t my check sadly.

I think it’s the NG that doesn’t de-ice the outboard slat. Does that sound right? It’s been a long time so this is all from memory for me!

What’s the latest news regarding the PMDG 737-series?

1 Like

Look on their forum.

Yeah that’s right, the classics heated the whole wing. The NGs and Maxs don’t heat the outboard slat.

1 Like

The maximum speed at a Rapid Exit Taxiway is 60kts subject to surface conditions but the recommended speed is 45kts depending on the design of the exit. For it to be a rapid exit taxiway it needs to be stated as such explicitly in the airfield charts (RETA).

Yep. The flight deck window frames, the windshield center post and the windshield wiper arms are good indications of ice build-up. But don’t forget in the 737 we also get to see the wing and we have wing lights.

1000 to go for 10000 posts in this thread, wahoo!! :crazy_face:

1 Like

Has the 737 icing simulated? Visual and flight physics icing?
And what would a Boeing do in a situation like this… would a Boeing (or if someone knows this an Airbus MCDU) draw such an impossible to fly route like this, or does a real plane always calculates a smoooooth extra-curve into the flight path? To prevent such sharp impossible turns automatically?

Icing is simulated. You can see it on the wiper blades