PMDG DC-6 for MSFS, FSUIPC and events not supported by the normal suspects

As I guess most of us now know, MSFS does not simply use the list of commands FSX used and so cockpit building is somewhat frustrating. I have managed to get the Garmin 430 and 530 working using Mobiflight Event Lists with FSUIPC (I don’t use any Arduinos so I can’t use just Mobiflight) so that is a start.

Now the DC-6 hoves into view with its Gyro-pilot and I am back to the forums to work out how to control the beast from my rig. I found this here somewhere on MSFS Forum:

DC6_AP_ON#43401 (>K:ROTOR_BRAKE)

DC6_AP_OFF#43401 (>K:ROTOR_BRAKE)

DC6_AP_HANDLE_ON#40401 (>K:ROTOR_BRAKE)

DC6_AP_HANDLE_OFF#40401 (>K:ROTOR_BRAKE)

DC6_AP_PITCH_UP#440 100 * 8 + (>K:ROTOR_BRAKE)

DC6_AP_PITCH_DOWN#440 100 * 7 + (>K:ROTOR_BRAKE)

DC6_AP_ALT_HOLD_ON#43601 (>K:ROTOR_BRAKE)

DC6_AP_ALT_HOLD_OFF#43601 (>K:ROTOR_BRAKE).

And after asking John at FSUIPC he tells me it is as simple as picking Rotor Brake from the FSUIPC dropdown list and using the parameter. I.e. to switch the AP on bind a button to Rotor Brake with the parameter 43401. That simple! So, half done. The 440100*8 is still a bit of a mystery. I assume the *8 controls the amount of increments the wheel move, maybe.

Anybody know?

Also, the yaw control is not mentioned. I assume that is in the SDK but not sure where that is.

Any ideas?

The 440 100 * 8 + is the RPN (Reversed Polish Notation) code. It can be easily explained as follows:
440 is the obj nr used by PMDG for the switch/knob etc
100 * means multiply 440 by 100 to get the rotor brake base code, in this case 44000

Then you have to add the mouse action. These values have to be added to the rotor brake base code. They are:

• 1 for left mouse click
  • 2 for right mouse click
  • 3 for mouse move
  • 4 for left mouse button release
  • 5 for right mouse button release
  • 6 for middle mouse button click
  • 7 for mouse wheel up
  • 8 for mouse wheel down

So in this case, to rotate mouse wheel down for the pitch, you have to add 8. Which is 8 + in RPN again.

So then you get: 440 100 * 8 +

Edit: to find the Yaw control, you have to find the obj number. If it is in the POH with a number written to it, you can use that number. Else you have to use the developer mode and look at the localvariables to check which value changes when clicking something.

4 Likes

Thanks TFEV1909, that helped. I think the puzzle solution is as follows:

I seem to have solved this (I think). I have set up the following:

All are as simple as picking Rotor Brake from the FSUIPC dropdown list and using the correct parameter

Toggle AP on/off 43401

Toggle AP Handle 40401

Toggle AP alt hold 43601

Pitch nose UP 44008

Pitch nose Down 44007

yaw left 44201 on press and 44204 on release

yaw right 44202 on press and 44204 on release

centre button is 95701 push, 95704 release

I think Abort AFE is 29 but not confirmed.

Hope this helps anybody else.

Thanks for posting the solution! Very useful.

Thanks so much for this.

I’ve tried every combination of 29 plus mouse commands but can’t get it to work to abort AFE. Anyone else have any luck?

I understood that fsuipc caused conflicts with pmdg software so they recommend not using it. Are you not observing any issues?

They do if you haven’t cleared bindings for that button or axis in the sim or your hardware software. No problem here using FSUIPC and this aircraft is so much more enjoyable to fly when you’re not having to switch windows back and forth and can focus on flying and systems management.

Hmm, shame, that is the one I hadn’t tested. You really need to be able to kill the AFE with a button rather than messing about with tablets on short final.

@WieldyChunk3693 I have had no issues with FSUIPC

Couldn’t agree more. Hopefully someone will figure out the Abort coding and share it. In the meantime, I’m going to continue to learn how to fly without the AFE.

ESPERO QUE LES SEA DE AYUDA, CUALQUIER OTRA VA REQUIERAN ME AVISAN POR FAVOR.
PERDONEN QUE PUBLIQUE EN ESPAÑOL PERO MI INGLES ES MUY MALO.

2 Likes