PMDG Douglas DC-6: Frozen Blades (a music video)

I haven’t posted here in a while, some of the testers might remember my freezing adventure in the CTSL back in 2020. Now I brought you moving pictures, that’s right.

Well, let’s get into it, shall we?

I am here waiting for some 707, old 732, 727 and not really a fan of the overuse of glass displays, at least not in simulators…
And then PMDG surprised me when they released the Douglas DC-6 for Microsoft Flight Simulator.

I thought to myself “Tight spot this month… it’s either this or the Mil Mi-24 Hind for DCS”.

As I still had no 3rd party plane in MSFS, I decided to get it and boy, for a few weeks, it was the only plane I flew.

Here are some views from those travels…

This video features USA, Iceland and I think Norway and Canada but I am not so sure about those last two.

More information on the Plane DLC and the music at the bottom of the description (in YT).

I hope you enjoy!

~Bogey

My Hardware:

CPU: i7-10700KF
RAM: Corsair 32 GB DDR4-3200
GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3070 Aorus Master 8GB
SSD: Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD 1TB
(and many other SSDs, HDDs and peripherals)

12 Likes

Oh wow this plane is amazing! I have never really noticed this plane before seeing your video.

1 Like

Indeed, she is a beauty :slight_smile:

Just in case, this is a payware addon from PMDG, not included in the regular sim.
The price is a little higher than some other planes you can find, but it is definitely worth it, I’ve enjoyed it a lot so far. And coming from DCS where 60$ is regular, it was a fair deal to me.

2 Likes

BRAVO! I love this…and the music too!

1 Like

Lots of people won’t notice it. The publisher doesn’t make it available through the in-game marketplace.

1 Like

Yeah, that is sad, but last time I heard, it WILL arrive at the marketplace, just not before 6 months of exclusivity on their platform. I might be paraphrasing though!

1 Like

Thank you for your words and encouragement! :slight_smile:
This alone makes it worth it to me!

Yeah, the music is really stimulating, that’s why I decided to feature the artist and link to his page (in case you want to hear more and varied music styles)

1 Like

Wow, amazing video !

1 Like

Thank you for your kind words :slight_smile:

Now I know a perfect birthday gift for me :slight_smile: a wonderful plane.

So it is bought on this website and I will get an installer to download?

How does the install process work when an addon is not bought on the ingame marketplace?

1 Like

To OP: Was assigned to VR-21 in Barbers Point, HI, squadron had 22-C-118’s (DC-6), 3-VC-118’s and 3-C-130 aircraft. In every case, number 3 engine is started first, because the hydraulic pump and generator is on that engine. Then 4, then 1 and then 2. Do not believe civilian DC-6 was any different. I was not Aircraft crew, but did go up a lot in them, and my office was near the parking and customs area where the planes usually started from and arrived at. Additionally, there was always a fire watch on the ground when starting engines, as big backfire could start stack fire. So you need to have fire watch if want it to be real. Thousands of startups. Worked closely with the aircraft commanders and that is what they told me. Those planes at that time had only Loran Navigation capabilities, so we had navigator crew position. The planes were taken out of service because any updates was not cost effective. The navy transitioned to DC-9’s and reserve squadrons got those as general service drawdown after Vietnam. Now believe 737 Derivative plane is used, USN is almost completely out of cargo business except for COD deliveries using the C-2 Turboprop I think, which also has a cousin for early air defense version.

OFF TOPIC-In the John Wayne Movie, “The High and the Mighty”, I believe the plane then used was a C-54 civilian version. It’s not a DC-6, because the windows are round, the DC-6/C-118 windows are square. Among other differences.

1 Like

You buy it on the website, on “my account” (https://pmdg.com/account.php ) your order will be visible, you need to click on the Order number and a window will pop up, asking to confirm your email address where an authentication code will be sent. You copy that code from your email and paste it into the activation window that pops up after sending the code. Once you click on “verify”, the download starts (or a window pops up asking for a saving directory, depending on your settings).

You download a ZIP file containing the installer and a Readme file, I recommend to read it.
Once you open the installer, it is quite self explanatory. It looks for your MSFS folder automatically.

I attached screenshots for better understanding. (I covered my codes and personal data though :wink: )

Verify process

Email:

File location (if your browser settings ask for it)

Installer (it looks similar, mine shows other options because I already installed the plane)

1 Like

Haha exactly, yeah I know that my video is misleading, usually Nr3 is started first. I had already run all engines and was using external ground power (and likely I had one of the realistic settings of the engines turned off, that particular clip was a video I took 3 weeks ago on the first day I got the plane)

Thanks for the tidbit mate! Appreciate it :slight_smile:

I imagined someone would call out the faux pas, I hoped I could get away with it though :wink:
Well spotted!

Kind regards!

The one thing that is missing in the start-up of the engines is the clouds of blue smoke coming from them. I don’t know whether this can be modelled. C-54 Start Up and Take Off From Hagerstown MD - YouTube

1 Like

I think a few SFX are still planned (by PMDG themselves) but the sim itself needs to offer better particle effects for 3rd party developers, maybe it is something that it’s on the works at Asobo but that goes beyond my knowledge.

1 Like

OP Yes, figured you knew that. And I agree, lots of smoke when those babies start up, clouds of it. So would be nice for those. Assumed, updated navigation suit, so at least VOR, et-al. So don’t need navigator taking sights every 30 minutes or so?

Yeah, I actually remember thinking a few years back if someone made a Conny or super conny how nice it would be to see the smoke and the flames coming out of the engines in the evening…
I remember seeing this video and thinking, I didn’t know i wanted a Connie :smiley:
I would die for this :smiley:

The current DC-6 from PMDG you mean? Yeah, it has VOR and additionally a GPS module (you can deactivate it though, to fly exclusively with old tech), though I been flying mostly VFR (cough, exploring) or just orienting myself with the compass and landmarks so far, I haven’t ventured too much into navigation with it yet.

1 Like

Virtavia does have a Connie I think. Try www.virtivia.com and see it it’s up. They were trying to port FSX to MSFS, but not sure it ever got done. MSFS is a plane designers nightmare and many companies who said they were, have dropped out from what I heard. The complexities, and amount of various software programs (think serious money investments) needed to create planes dwarfs small plane developers. Sad, some of the best planes for FSX were from small companies. The Virtavia C-17 GM III is the best plane to fly in the whole gamut of planes I think. Just great unit.

1 Like

From what I know, Red Wing Simulations is working on a Connie, I learned that yesterday after writing with you, but I don’t know what kind of fidelity they are aiming for, I would hope for a PMDG level Connie, if anyone ever releases one.
Those Captain of the Ship versions looked nice for their time as well (A2A Simulations).

Afaik the programming itself is quite open, many languages can be used, but I think the level of expectation, fidelity and detail the people expect for MSFS addons is more than most developers can handle (I’ve seen addons come out that weren’t even worthy of FS 2000, but that’s another story, cashgrabs).
I think, the developers want to release but know they have to invest a lot of time into their addons to make them worthy of what MSFS might become with time and many can’t (financially/time) or won’t develop for MSFS, it’s the same with Milviz and DCS, they knew they would never achieve the expected level from the community so they didn’t even try. They blame Eagle Dynamics for their hardcore conditions and contracts but it’s the userbase who would have teared them apart :wink:

Let’s hope this doesn’t discourage small developers to develop for MSFS, I just hope for a certain level of fidelity. Many freeware are already surpassing payware…