PMDG Douglas DC-6

Congratulations, great job! I am pretty sure those engines will need some service after this, but you definitely made it!

DC-6 Autopilot Tutorial from a real life pilot. DC-6 Autopilot Tutorial, Victor Airways, ILS, Changeover Points - Microsoft Flight Simulator - YouTube

I subscribe to his channel

1 Like

These people should NOT be flying that airplane!
The captain relies on the copilot and FE gaaasp to help where proper simmers -aeh pilots do it all themselves (by hand at that), and both pilots have GPS/glass screens with weather radar (the horror)

and worst of all they both have gaaasp deep shock TABLETS!

Donā€™t they know that they are breaking the immersion and it isnā€™t realistic AT ALL! :rofl: :rofl:

4 Likes

Haha, you know, I just didnā€™t have time to care about the engines.
This was far from perfect. But itā€™s great fun and I hope I will get better at it.

Iā€™m flying ILS on the GPS. Thatā€™s sort of working. But at several airports I cannot bring the VLOC to life (in fact at none I tried). Iā€™m following all the instructions, but thereā€™s simply no indication on the instrument itā€™s picking up on the ILS frequency (when the GPS setting isā€¦ but switching to VLOC on the GPS - repeat - repeatā€¦ nothing).

I donā€™t think anymore that Iā€™m doing anything wrong. Prove it! :hot_face:

Thereā€™s something bugged. :expressionless:

Where are you setting your ILS frequency?

On the GPS. In that VLOC partā€¦ listenā€¦ when I set the whole thing to GPS, it worksā€¦ it drags me in correctly. So itā€™s not the frequency. Itā€™s set and itā€™s correct.

But that instruction ā€˜now switch it over to VLOCā€™ā€¦ nothing happensā€¦ dead arrows. No movement. Kaput.

Frankly I suspect Asobo. Either the airport data or their flaky GPS. The fact you have to press that button 3 timesā€¦ sighā€¦

I will look for a GPS modā€¦ maybe one of those will do a better job.

There is a 430/530 mod a bunch of people use. The whole ā€œclick CDI between GPS and CDIā€ thing was reportedly fixed in the DC3 update a few days ago. I noticed Fabio had a problem with range on the ILS in one of his videos, maybe thatā€™s it. But if your CDI is showing LOC instead of GPS in green and youā€™ve clicked the button a couple of times, not much else I can think of to look at really.

Thereā€™s even a video in this thread of a simmer showing how it should look. The instrument just doesnā€™t do it.

And the funny partā€¦ if I activate the approach in the GPS and leave it all to GPS, it captures the glideslope. The autopilot disconnects alt-hold. And down we go. Through a procedure nobody seems to be using in this airplane :slight_smile:

Iā€™ll try a few bigger airports. So far it has been rather small stuff. But all with ILS.

Thatā€™s weird. Unless itā€™s an RNAV approach as well (and I donā€™t know if DC-6 supports that), being on GPS should not capture a pure ILS glideslope.

Iā€™m not joking. Works every time. Thereā€™s the green ā€˜GPSā€™ in the gauge. I switch the autopilot to ā€˜approachā€™ and there we go. But thereā€™s no lines to be followed. So doing this manually is impossible. I donā€™t see a glideslope, but the plane is following it.

Itā€™s all wonky.

Iā€™m not proficient enough to know if RNAV plays into it. I just know that so far itā€™s the only way Iā€™ve been able to get close to the runway through ILS. Fully on GPS.

Iā€™ll try some major airports. See if this is a Asobo-airport-data issue.

Chicago Oā€™Hare. Try it. I have flown an ILS approach there. Donā€™t remember which runway. One of the ones approaching from the East (Lake Michigan).

1 Like

Okay, will give that one a go. And the tutorial? I did read some people also struggling with that one. Did you try that route?

I have flown the first tutorial just fine. The second one wasā€¦ a little more improvised while keeping main portions of the stuff I am supposed to get out of it.

So the ILS stuff was working in the tutorial too for you? I think I might try that one then. Route given and such. I meanā€¦ if that one doesnā€™t workā€¦

1 Like

In case it helps I donā€™t use the GPS and the ILS works fine with the radio navs of the DC6. I just shift to approach mode when in range and captures the localizer and glideslope without problems.
Maybe using the GPS makes the ILS slightly more difficult to get it right as there are more things that can go wrong. With the default radios if you hav the frequency and you go to APP mode it either works or thereā€™s no ILS.

Probably should work with both the GPS and the default RADIO in several different ā€œflavoursā€ that work.

The DC6 is not RNAV capable I always include ā€œno RNAV capabilityā€ on the Vatsim remarks because it helps the controllers deal with the plane correctly, instead of a ā€œdirect to xā€ or ā€œfollow the STAR restrictionsā€ you can get vectored and even ask for a long final to make sure it goes well.

2 Likes

Well, thatā€™s a good tip tooā€¦ see if it works with the GPS out of the cockpitā€¦

But first Iā€™ll try a big airport. If I can get it to work once, at least I know it is all functioning like it should. I do like my GPS for longer flights.

I am thinking MAYBE one day I will be comfortable navigating without GPS. I TECHNICALLY know how and can dial VOR frequencies and follow themā€¦ I just never actually tried a full flight on ANY aircraft simply following old-school radio navigation. It just seems like a cruel punishment sometimes. :wink: ā€œYou have been BAD. NO GPS for you today!ā€