PMDG737 - the course knob

I’ve just flown EGCC to EGLL.

On the tutorial it’s suggests using the course knobs to dial in the headings on approach.

Why?

The aircraft follows the flight plan track just fine without doing that?

And if an approach/STAR has lots of heading changes, how do you choose which one to set it to?

Which brings me on to another, similar, question. Why alter the heading knob if the aircraft will flow the flight track?

I see real pilots altering the heading. I don’t understand why it is necessary if it will follow the flight plan.

It’s not absolutely necessary in the sim, but you should dial in the actual runway heading using the course knob.
That way the course arrow on the HSI display is pointing the same direction as the runway.
It is done for better situational awareness.

1 Like

So much of what is done as SOP on an airliner is for safety and redundancy.

The aircraft itself has so many redundant systems simply so all of us who fly on them will have a better chance of success (read: come out of it alive) should an issue arise.

If you’re flying in IMC and one of these “magenta line” systems should fail, the pilots need contingencies. Having those contingencies already pre-selected and dialed in saves them in workflow when assessing a problem or a change in operational procedures due to some other unforeseen issue.

1 Like

Keep in mind, the Course (CRS) is not ALWAYS the runway heading, be sure to check your approach plates as it is stated there.

“Final Apch Crs”

The course also needs to be set for Autoland to function properly.

Lastly, some approaches use VOR’s as part of the missed approach procedure, so you’d want to tune those frequencies into the radios on standby and also be aware of the course for that in the event you need to fly it.

1 Like