PMS50 GTN750 Project

Tips and tricks: adding an autopilot module to an aircraft without autopilot.
The GTN750 may come with an autopilot module (premium only). If your aircraft is not designed to use an autopilot, you can make it work with the GTN750 autopilot panel. Not sure that it works for all aircraft.
Tested with the DR400.
To do that:

Locate the file named systems.cfg in the aircraft package (usually in SimObjects/Airplanes/aircraftName)

Edit the file and search for the [AUTOPILOT] section.

Be sure to have the following lines in this section:

[AUTOPILOT]
autopilot_available = 1
flight_director_available = 1

Tested with the DR400 and you have the GTN750 autopilot working. Maybe with some aircraft you should also need to check or add the autopilot electrical circuit in the [ELECTRICAL] section of systems.cfg

ex for the DR400:

circuit.1 = Type:CIRCUIT_AUTOPILOT#Connections:bus.1#Power:10, 15, 10.0#Name:Autopilot
4 Likes

And that in engines.cfg the line
DisableAutopilotControls=0
is present and at 0

3 Likes

Thanks, weā€™ll add that.

1 Like

IMPORTANT
Microsoft changed its virus detection table on October 7 causing a case of false detection in our GTN750 package. We assure you that the code does not contain any virus and that it is indeed a case of false detection. Only windows defender detects it.
We will publish in a few minutes a new package with version 2.1.45 which will solve this problem.
It is then necessary to update your package.

1 Like

NEW GTN 750 RELEASE V2.1.45

See https://pms50.com/

• Bugfix: disable traffic and terrain buttons in the map menu when the license is not active.
  • WTT mode: reducing some small flight plan waypoints overshoot.
  • The ADF standby frequency can now be set directly from the Nearest NDB and NDB info pages (premium).

IMPORTANT
Microsoft changed its virus detection table on October 7 causing a case of false detection in our 2.1.44 GTN750 package. We assure you that the code does not contain any virus and that it is indeed a case of false detection. Only windows defender detects it.
Because of this windows defender issue it is necessary to update your package to 2.1.45.
More information in this page: Mandatory update

12 Likes

Hi!
Iā€™ve gut a question regarding the map overlays in the GT750. I can only see airports and navaids in the map when Iā€™m fairly close zoomed in (<5nm) but when zoomed out to a comfortable level, the airports and navaids all dissapear. Iā€™ve only just installed it, so for sure Iā€™m doing something wrong, but I can not find an option or setting to change this.
Thanks for any help.

Yes, the navaid display depends of the zoom level and detail level set in the map menu. The zoom level necessary for display depends of the navaid type (airport, NDB, VOR, intersection).
MSFS may also need some time to get and display the navaids around the map center position.

Does the free version do rnav missed approaches? I was in the Mooney doing the rnav30 at khaf. Not only did it not grab the glide path, but then it had no missed approach points loaded.

The RNAV vertical guidance works as soon as you are at the correct published altitude at the FAF and engaged the autopilot approach mode. THis is managed by the sim autopilot manager that is not part of the GTN750 so that works the same way with other GPSs.
Missed approach is available in premium version only for aircraft compatible with the WTT mode because this feature is not available in the base stock sim flight planner.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. I want to make sure Iā€™m understanding the two things here:

1. When approach is cleared, activate approach mode, and it should pick up the glide path when crossing the FAF at the published altitude. This is weird because I was active in approach mode, and when crossing MAVKC at 2020ā€™ it did not pick up the glide path. Not sure if this is a Mooney issue or what.

2. When you say Missed approach is available in premium version only, do you mean the premium GTN 750? Or Premium version of MSFS (I have deluxe). And what do you mean by WTT mode? I have the nxi mod off the marketplace.

The PMS website should explain it all.
The discussion is in reference to the Premium GTN750 not MSFS, and in this case also nothing to do with the G1000NXi.

The GTN750 with WTT (Working Title Technology) is the GTN750 with additional code that allows for things like Vectors-To-Final selection, Holds, Missed Approaches, and better flight plan mapping.
On the website, thereā€™s a section on WTT compatible aircraft.

As an example, I fly the Flysimware Cessna 414 with the Premium GTN750 + WTT livery. This is how Flysimware offer this mode, as a livery - Iā€™m not sure about other aircraft, but Iā€™m sure the PMS website will explain it all.

Could also be an issue with that particular Rnav Approach in MSFS>

You might like to try the Rnav 01 approach into KDCA (FAF @ 1600ft). That is one approach I personally know works correctly in standard MSFS, without resorting to WTT additions.

1 Like

We are very pleased to announce a new airplane in the GTN750 family: The Tecnam P92 by Erasam.

It is WTT compatible.
This aircraft doesnā€™t have an autopilot panel but if you own the GTN750 premium you can use the integrated autopilot panel to drive it.

We are very pleased to announce a new airplane in the GTN750 family: The Black Square Analog Caravan.

It is WTT compatible (Analog Caravan v 0.1.3 minimum).

The additional WTT package includes a modified and more realistic version of the KAP140 autopilot:

• Correct display of lateral and vertical active and armed modes.
  • Auto arming to target altitude when engaging AP mode (when pressing the AP button).
  • Arming button works (manual arming)
  • HDG to NAV arming mode
  • UP/DN buttons in ALT mode allows adjusting the managed altitude (Ā±20feets)
  • Baro sync with the main altimeter.
  • GS armed for both ILS and RNAV
5 Likes

Hi and thanks for this update - I got the JF Caravan update to 0.1.3 a few days ago and the release notes say something about not needing any autopilot modsā€¦ v0.1.3
Autopilot

New Features:

• New custom implementation of the KAP140 Autopilot. The previously recommended mod presented an incompatibility with the TDS GTN 750 after Sim Update 10 that resulted in modes getting stuck, and altitude hold mode failing to maintain altitude. No autopilot mod is required or recommended for the Analog Caravan any moreā€¦

Does that mean I donā€™t need the WTT package anymore? Also, will the PMS50 GTN750 allow me to fly coupled RNAV (including LPV) approaches while getting vertical guidance on the HSI?

Follow up question - I just got the JustFlight King Air Steam Gauge Overhaul yesterday. Flew a couple of test flights including RNAV approaches using the PMS50 GTN750. I noticed that I did not get vertical guidance on the HSI in the King Air (nor did the autopilot couple)ā€¦ Is this a known issue? I would expect to get vertical glidepath guidance on the HSI and would expect the autopilot to couple and fly the approach. Note that I was at the correct altitude at the FAF in both cases.

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Yes, you need the WTT package if you want to use the WTT mode. The WTT package come with its own KAP140 that is more realistic.
For the GSI needle, the stock sim doesnā€™t provide it for RNAV with the stock flight planner and autopilot module.
Thatā€™s why we deliver some L variables that the aircraft provider should use instead of the standard sim variables. SOme of them miss this part of our integratorā€™s guide so you have no GSI for RNAV approaches (you still have it in the GTN750 map anyway).

Thank you for the reply!

I got the package for the bksq Caravan and installed it. Iā€™ll test it out with an ILS and RNAV/LPV approach soon after work is done. I will have to look to see where that glideslope/glidepath indicator is on the GTN750 map - I have never used that before.

And, just to make sure I understand - even with the bksq Caravan WTT package, I will not get any glideslope/glidepath guidance for RNAV-based approaches on the HSI? Or has BlackSquare/JustFlight implemented things using your variables so the HSI will provide such a feature using your L variables?

Thanks again and sorry for the confusion. :smiley:

1 Like

It seems that they didnā€™t implement our GSI needle variables so you will get the GSI only for ILS in the HSI.
There are some new needle variables for GSI until SU9 but they work only if you provide your own autopilot manager. We do that in WTT mode so theoretically, we could implement them but this will still not work without the WTT mode. So for now the best way is to use our specific L variables but the aircraft provider has to do the job.
You can test with the stock GNS530, I donā€™t think you will get the GSI for RNAV.

Here is the chapter about that in our integratorā€™s guide.

3 Likes

NEW GTN 750 RELEASE V2.1.46

See https://pms50.com/

• SU11 compatibility (still compatible with SU10).
  • Bugfix: canā€™t add an enroute waypoint when a STAR is loaded.
  • Altitude constraints can now be set to max 49900ft instead of 19900ft.
  • Bugfix: the VCALC utility was giving bad information for approach waypoints.
  • Bugfix: the map field DIS (distance) was changing too early.
  • City information is not displayed anymore for waypoint info (except for airports) because there is currently an Asobo issue with city data.
  • Fixed some bugs for departure and arrival selections.
  • WTT mode: possibility to select an arrival or departure procedure without transition when available.
  • Adding a way to share a bank of user waypoints across aircraft.
11 Likes

We are very pleased to announce a new airplane in the GTN750 family: The Black Square Analog King Air.

It is WTT compatible.

4 Likes