Poll: Is MSFS 2024 going to be a good thing for the community, and franchise?

Just a simple question. Do you believe MSFS 2024 will be a good thing for us in the long run? Is it the right way to go?

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

7 Likes

TLDR: MS/Asobo should have done better at the communication around MSFS2024.

My opinion is that the announcement was not thought about well enough. By dropping this as a bombshell out of the blue without any information about the status and future of the current version, it just caused a lot of agitation. The FAQ came later online, but the damage was already done. Some are happy, but a whole lot of loyal customers who paid a lot for the game and their add-ons feel mislead. Especially as a lot of people understood that MSFS2020 would be here for 10 years. Of course that was not said litteraly, but still. It would have been better if this was already communicated to the existing community instead of show this as a highlight on an XBox gaming event. I think that flightsimmers are different from regular gamers as they often spent a lot of cash on add-ons, hardware, etc. and need to be sure that their investments are sustainable. By bringing out a new product might lead to distrust, which is sad for such a great product. I really hope that Asobo/MS will come up with some kind of a deal for existing users who want to upgrade. But I doubt it. Especially as you can’t even upgrade from Standard to Deluxe without having to pay almost the full amount, which sucks big time. Like I said above, the damage is already done. If I read over the internet all the reactions to this bombshell, the overall tendency is that people feel mainly mislead right now. Moreover as MSFS2020 is far from finished.

21 Likes

They may have understood that, they may have inferred it, but that isn’t what was said.

Regarding this “10 years” thing, the first time I have found this mentioned so far but I only just started digging, was from 14/08/2020, the first Developer Q&A:

3:43

we are planning on working on this for for a long time we always say 10 years but hopefully it’s longer

This now means:

The intention is that this sim isn’t going anywhere. There was no mention of “2020” anywhere.

4 Likes

No, I agree. But I think the overall consensus is that MSFS2020 still needs a lot of fixes in order to consider it a finished product. Users are now afraid that that will never happen with the release of MSFS2024. Maybe Asobo/MS will be like: “You want a finished product? But MSFS2024!!”

11 Likes

I have No interest of missions, Dune etc. Bought MSFS as an Flight simulator. Not an arcade game.

34 Likes

They have stated they are committed to the roadmap for 2020. What we may see is that roadmap tail off in favour of 2024 at some point down the road, with no updates to it a few years from now, for instance.

But the 2024 roadmap will continue.

1 Like

Progress is always a good thing :slight_smile:

For context…
The flight sim community was initially concerned that Microsoft would abandon the product the way it had done so for FSX. I think that is where the “10 year” comments came from in the dev blog. It was meant to be reassurance that MS was going to stay in the Flight Sim market. It was a huge deal initially since MSFS relies so heavily on online streaming…

The fact that the MS marketing team is ready to revive the iterative releases of MSFS is a good sign that the market for flight sims is healthy.

6 Likes

I hadn’t considered that but its a good point. You don’t tend to put a year on your products name unless you plan to release a new version of it at some future point in time. This smacks of a PR event that backfired on them. If the advances they have made were significant enough to warrant an entirely new version of the sim, folks would have got upset if they had named in Flight Simulator 2, so they couldn’t win on that front. The year is immaterial.

1 Like

I think the most pertinent question is the latter part of your title - The franchise.

At this point, I can’t help but feel that MFS2024 is a bit of a desperation move. Of course MS will never give out the figures for this, but it is entirely possible that the sequel’s date was brought forward due to its failing sustainability in the current version.

So in short, I feel uneasy about the franchise’s future and how “well” the new version will sell.

If its struggling, it doesn’t explain why Asobo are looking to hire so many new staff.

6 Likes

I agree with alll the comments made already. I have purchased all of the Microsoft versions of Flight Sims since the first edition 1977(?) Having to update my PC for every new release… since.
MSFS 2020 in my opinion still not complete and full of bugs I am extremely disapointed and feel let down by Microsoft. Where is the 10 year support for this. I look forward to the monthly updates - why is that improving MSFS 2020 is being placed in jeapody in favourv of MSFS 2024? The technology obvously in place for the 2024 version should be used to improve v2020 first… I am 79 on limited income and short of disc space so won’t be purchasing MSFS 2024.

4 Likes

Yeah, the MSFS/Asobo team may have been directed or constrained by the XBox marketing team. The reveal trailer came out with all of the AAA trailers like Starfield…

The marketing team is still learning how to engage with the larger flight sim community as a whole.

2 Likes

Why bother with msfs24 when there is likely msfs28 in 2028?

2 Likes

You might be right. So just hold back for 5 years then see if the third iteration takes your fancy.

2 Likes

Wrong time. Completely
1 year is too much.
They should announce 24 not before the end of the year.
What’s the goal to announce it today?
Stop marketplace sales?
Stop 3rd party development?

So strange move

6 Likes

MSFS 2020 was announced at E3 on June 9th 2019. It was released on August 18th 2020, just over a year later.

1 Like

:roll_eyes: We don’t have a FS 2017…
I don’t understand your reply sorry

Sorry, are you saying it should have been announced a few months from release instead? They’ve already stated that Marketplace purchases, at least most of them, will be compatible, so it shouldn’t be an issue. It would be nice to know which ones, or perhaps types, won’t be.

I’m only disappointed I need to wait a year or more for this version. Sometimes ignorance is bliss. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I like that, a nice straight forward yes or no, will be interesting to see the result of this one.

1 Like