[Polls] World Update XIII: Oceania Discussion

It lists all the installed airports in the release notes…

I’ve spent quite a lot of time the past two days exploring the update and I’m ready to give a better opinion. Admittedly, at first I felt let down by the WU. Partially because I was really excited for this WU more than most and my hopes are always going to be higher than reality. I know the lack of photogrammetry - especially in Honolulu - is disappointing. Hopefully the plan will be to make it a City Update in the future - and maybe improve some of the water masks in the area, especially in Pearl Harbor. (Does Pearl Harbor even need a water mask? Satellite imagery shows it being very deep blue. Although I do wish we could see the USS Arizona underwater. )

However, despite what WUXIII lacks, I do think it’s actually really solid overall. It has some really nice scenery and airports. The Pacific Ocean has always been fascinating to me, so getting to explore an improved version of it is great.

I was hoping Midway and Wake Island would receive bespoke airports. They didn’t - but Midway did get some scenery.

Bora Bora. The additions of the bespoke airport and the custom-made huts that mostly cover the satellite imagery huts really give this island life - although some boat life would’ve been cool. The biggest issue is that there’s a big hole at the top of Mt. Pahia (not visible from this side of the island) that really takes you out of the experience. I’d like to see that get fixed soon. Otherwise, I could see myself flying in and out of this area frequently.

I took quick glances at some of the other custom made strips with quick takeoffs and landings and I really enjoy the way the air strips and surrounding scenery looks. I can’t wait to set out on some longer flights in the area.

I know this seems like such a small thing, but seeing so many of the Moai statues get added to the sim is really satisfying to me. :laughing: I remember when I first got the sim I thought about how I couldn’t wait to explore so many random little places like Easter Island, etc. Shortly after that, I realized there wouldn’t be anything to see on Easter Island so I never made the journey - but now there is! Easter island as a whole is fun flight. Plus, it’s mainly open grassland so you can land a bush plane almost anywhere. It’s a nice bonus having a bespoke airport on the island.

Lempuyang temple. It’s a really cool sight on the side of a hill with Mt. Agung in the distance. POIs are sometimes small and hard to see but this one stood out well.

I really enjoyed the flight out of Aitutaki airport and around the island. Had fun taking the Beaver around the area and checking out the scenery and water masks.

Plus, there’s a small island just to the south of the airport that has a flat open space perfect for bush planes to get in and out of.

11 Likes

I’m doing the Hawaii Bush Trip but wandering everywhere. On second fuel stop. Even starting to like the 152, but that’s beside the point.
The new mesh is very nice. Cliffs are crisp and look like cliffs now, not fuzzy walls. Mountians are defined peaks with edges. Colours are much improved, soil looks like dirt, lava on the big island looks like lava with the flows definded.
Honolulu area is much more defined buildings no longer look vague. Pearl looking nice too.
Phko is great. Thanks for that!

Except… who put the single palm tree, smack dap center just before 17? Does look good though😉

Thanks for the follow up. I figured out two hours later that online functionality was turned off. I never turned it off myself, must have been through the update.

2 Likes

If you have HDR10 turned on and use the standard Windows screenshot key combo, this will happen. I typically use the screenshot option in the sim’s developers toolbar, which is great to take the shot without the HUD’s and POI makers as an option (I generally fly with the HUD on). Otherwise, I think some people said the Snippit tool works, but I haven’t tried it or any other screenshot programs.

They are all airports. There is no new photogrammetry in WU13.

5 Likes

The quote below is from the release notes of 1.32.7.0

• Added a button in the menu to save a report file of current game state enabling users to give more information to customer support when facing an issue or reporting a bug

I can’t find this button in the developer menu. What is it called ? How can I retrieve information about a CTD from it?

Ah ha, another PNG lover. I love it because as a young Aussie airport engineer many years ago, IRL, I helped improve some PNG airports. In particular we re-built AYNZ Nadzab (Lae) from an old WW2 airstrip. In checking out the latest update I found a fantastic freeware for Nadzab by artist Mountainair. The general scenery since the update seems to me to be a bit better. Do you any favourite freeware or payware for PNG airfields? You may also be interested in this video. Cheers.

I wish more airports in Papua New Guinea would be handmande (yes, I’m a big Missionary Bush Pilot fan) but the update overall is very good and welcome. The water mask and textures around Bora Bora are still low resolution and a bit distracting when flying low or even landing on water. I wish there was a technique to improve those “azure” waters. But other than that it’s excellent. The new airports are especially fantastic!

2 Likes

The airport might, but did you look around it? When I went to Port Moresby, I found some hand craft buildings in the area, which I don’t remember being there before. It’s a few miles from Jacksons. Perhaps Madang is the same, and the overall scenery changed, not the airport itself. For all I know it could even be the taxiway designations.

Yep, it happens. I’m glad it was a “simple” fix.

What I hate the most, recently they started turning data off… putting users in offline mode, when they detect that your “connection is poor”. But, when your connection is fixed 10 seconds later, they don’t turn data back on again. So you have to stop, go into the options, turn it back on again, and it takes several minutes to reload all the graphics that they unceremoniously dumped on you.

But, it’s also true for some reason in updates they go through and randomly change options in your setup, too.

1. I hate it when programmers “help” me, by getting in the way (I do not need a window to pop up that I have to click away. I don’t care that a UI modality developed in the late '80’s when windows is still the “recommended” action… Stop it.

2. This “connection” issue is getting worse, and the issues it’s causing are starting to proliferate more and more. I hope they figure out what’s going on. MSFS is just the tip of the ice berg in how important this functionality is. Microsoft is basing their future on a lot of the functionality they’re demonstrating with MSFS.

7 Likes

From the marketplace now? Man, I step away from this thing for 6 weeks and now we are downloading from the marketplace? What’s wrong with the “my content” section where I used to download it? Asobo complicating things unnecessarily?

Edit - found it. Thanks for the IMPORTANT info.

1 Like

Is THAT what has been going on all this time? Why my buildings look like they just melted?

Optional content such as (specifically) World Updates had always to be „purchased“ („opted in“) via Marketplace. Literally since Day One™.

15 Likes

So, the windsock issue is not fixed. There are still two windsocks at Friday Harbor close together and facing opposite directions.

2 Likes

Create A Report is in Options> experimental

1 Like

If they look melted then its probably photogrammetry scenery. I don’t think that’s been confirmed for any of the WUXIII additions, has it?

2 Likes

The windsock issue is ‘fixed on generic airports’ only! Friday Harbor is NOT a generic airport!

2 Likes

Ever since World Update 1: Japan, world updates have always required us to “purchase” the WU content from the Marketplace and install it from there the first time. Once you’ve “purchased” it, it can then be removed / reinstalled via Content Manager.

It’s always been this way.

10 Likes

Hi,
Thank you for the info! I will give it a try.

1 Like