[Polls] World Update XIII: Oceania Discussion

At a guess (having done similar work in the past), it may be that these were POIs that were generated just to get them on the map, with the intention of moving them to their correct positions at a later time. Whoever did it probably (in the rush to meet deadlines) either forgot to move them, or didn’t need them and just forgot to delete them.

1 Like

They forgot the Moana Surfrider!!! Noooo! That was the hotel my wife and I splurged on for our final two days in Hawaii, back in September 1992! I remember the date because we were there when Hurricane Iniki hit the islands.

3 Likes

This is what I found as well.

1 Like

Still looking for info on where the best resolution DEM is.

Along with this, I saw the term “height field” for Hawaii… what does that mean, sounds like it’s related to DEM?

I went back to Easter Island tonight and wow, I missed A LOT of Moai statues. There’s TONS of them near the crater on the northeast side of the island. They didn’t pop in until I got close, so when I flew around the island the other day, I must’ve been just slightly out of range for them to pop in.

1 Like

Expect a fix with an update of the addon

2 Likes

Water textures in and around Honolulu are dismal: they are flat and lifeless, just like the water in Aerofly.

What do you think of Hawaii terrain textures? I recognize that Oceania is an area where I fly very rarely. But after the WU13 update, I thought there would have been major improvements. So today I visited PHKO (Kona) and, later, I flew around PHNL (Honolulu).

Sincerely, I don’t like at all what I have seen. Perhaps it would be more interesting not updating such large geographical areas and concentrated, with each update, on smaller areas.

Greetings.

6 Likes

That’s why I hope in some third-party Honolulu, water included (SamScene3d where are you?)

2 Likes

Can’t say anything about the terrain textures as I quit after witnessing the water/sea quality. Not at all interested in Hawaii as a consequence. I’ll check out some of the other locations to see if HI is an aberration.

1 Like

Looking at Hawaii and Bora Bora makes me think they’ve outsourced the QA lead to ClippyGPT.
Surely MS can cobble together some AI QA system to check the texturing for obvious bad visual patterns and raise an alert for a real warm body to take a proper look at it?

The weathered textures on the Easter Island statues looks nice close up though!

2 Likes

Hi,
I have tried the report function in Experimental when in Developer mode.

While it seems to work when MSFS is running, it has a major flaw: :unamused:

Since this report function is embedded within MSFS, it will only show what is going on while the simulator is running.

This is absolutely useless when trying to find out why a crash has occurred, because the report is no longer visible after a CTD.
What a shame!

Asobo, please put the report function outside of the sim so users can see what happened in case of a CTD, and maybe be able to take corrective action. You may want to take a look on how X-Plane does this with their Log.txt file. It will not even cost you a penny, if you try the XP Demo version, which is free.
Thank You!

1 Like

There is absolutely NO reason to start the sim after a CTD again to get the report.

Easiest way to get the location where the record is created everytime:
Options → General Options → Experimental

Bookmark the folder!
Next time MSFS CTDs open the folder and look for a file named “CrashReport.txt
Send this file to Zendesk when you open a ticket because of the CTD.

3 Likes

10 Likes

So what does the “Create a report” button do if you don’t actually need to press it?

It generates a report of the CURRENT state of the sim, then opens the explorer

Hi @EnsiFerrum666 ,

Thank you so much for pointing me in the right direction! :+1: :clap: :+1:

Finally I might be able to find out what may have caused my CTDs.

Again, many thanks for your help!

BTW, my CrashReport.txt file is located at C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalState

Ahhh, the Moana Surfrider is iconic! Sad to see it is missing. I stayed there a couple times on layovers for international business travel, back in the days when that could become a “one-day vacation”. The big Banyan tree in the courtyard is home to a rooster named “Sue”. Someday I hope to visit again, Honolulu is wonderful.

2 Likes

That was my thought exactly, if they had forgone everything else and just made Honolulu as nice photogrammetry as San Francisco, that would do it for me. I guess the photogrammetry is harder to come by for some areas. I wonder why? Each day I’m closer to creating my own business, just to create the things I want in MSFS, so I can fly my Zeppelin NT over high-res Honolulu!!! A person can dream!!

2 Likes

Right? They’re paying somebody for the work, might as well be you :smiley:
And… You’ll likely get to travel all over the world… On airplanes!
Who could ask for more as a way to support yourself (and your family if so)?

2 Likes