[Polls] World Update XV: Nordics & Greenland

Had a gobsmackingly immersive flight around Bergen last night. The DEM is incredibly detailed, and the aerials weren’t bad either.

Unfortunately we’re getting into that time of year when a lot of it is covered in snow, but if this area is indicative of many other areas, I’m gonna enjoy this WU a hell of a lot.

2 Likes

It took forever to download this update. Speed kept dropping to 5mbps and sometimes the connection would drop, but it wasn’t on my end because I ran speed tests from my PC while the download was slow, and the speed test indicated 300 mbps.

Rekjahlio Airport (BIRL), Iceland, was definitely not like this before. Something’s broken there. But as I flew away, it appeared fine.

1 Like

My Iceland is also very bad… :face_with_peeking_eye:

It was much better before this. I have flown there extensively.

You are right - of course you are, you made this beautiful scenery - the lights are there, but how do I happen to know these frequencies?

LOC DME frequency is 108.5
Information frequency is 120.5 - this is used for the pilot controlled lighting

Also, I think the yellow lights are to similar to the street lights. They should stand out just a little more.

That criticism aside, it’s still a beautiful scenery that I’m very grateful for.

2 Likes

I do appreciate the criticism and discussion.
I agree that the always-on yellow circling lights can be hard to spot at night unless you know exactly where to expect them to be, but I feel they’re visible once you know where to look.
It’s not easy to make them significantly more visible over the streetlights as they’re both yellow-ish in color. They are as yellow as they can be.

For the sequenced flashing lights activation: Using NAV2 seemed like the least obtrusive workaround, as there’s no function to activate them with actual radio communication. IRL they would be activated by the AFIS officer. Leaving them permanently active was judged as too distracting in most circumstances.
There is a feature list and instructions on one of the screens in the tower at the airport. I can only hope people accidentally find them.

What a beautiful approach to land at Mo I Rana, runway 31😍

11 Likes

Oh boy our idea came true already! The AI Spider Bots must be improving this little area of the sea. Maybe it’s Atlantis!! Free submarine DLC coming soon to go and discover it properly?

Hello @ZILLNIAZI17,

I just checked this area and am not seeing the same visual artifacts as you. Have you tried clearing your rolling cache since installing the World Update?

This is what BIRL looks like to me. I tried to match the same angles from your screenshots:

Thanks,
MSFS Team

To me it feels like Microsoft Update Simulator :slight_smile:

The white dot now is a bright little square and sim doesn’t start as usual, Even the yellow button to Fly doesn’t appear. Weird behavior. Uncontrollable aircraft.

That’s very kind of you to replicate my experience in order to help me out.

And, yes, I always clear the Rolling Cache after installing an update. But this is not the only anomaly that I experienced in Iceland. The experience was definitely better before this update.

Any ideas?

P.S.: I have the Orbx add-on for Iceland Mesh installed for over two years. I have had a very pleasant flying experience because of that. Should that add-on be a matter of concern?

Yes.

Remove it and test.
Its probably not even needed any longer.

2 Likes

Has anybody had problems with WU15 causing any 3rd party airports to lose lights on the tarmac? I have KLEX freeware and after WU15 I no longer have light on the tarmac. I’ve reinstalled it 3 time to no avail.
Thanks for any ideas’

Might be hanging on a rogue file perhaps? It can happen.

The one and only time I reinstalled FS20 I uninstalled it from Steam and then manually deleted all traces of it on the PC. I looked in all the typical places, documents, appdata, etc and then reinstalled in the original location. When I reinstalled it was a clean instal with no traces of the previous installation and it was fault free.

It did take a few hours to get everything set up though so not a lot of fun. I also did a lot of other stuff as well such as deleting windows temp files, cleaning prefetch stuff, cleaning cache, cleaning scenery index files, cleaning nvidia cache and cleaning registry so maybe this helped too.

Thanks for the recommendation.

I was hoping to see any approach guidance lights as stated on the charts.

So, its been a week and I feel to adjust my initial thoughts a bit. I have been flying around different parts in Norway now and see that I was a bit harsh in my first comments. Though I still am dissapointed in the general visual upgrade (based on my expectations), I must admit the southern parts of Norway is considerably better looking.

Parts of «the highlands» and the north-western fjords (which is the most spectacular ones) are still severely lacking the pow I thought new aerial data would offer though. I guess that is to blame on Bing maps, not Asobo. And the AI is terrible at displaying steep mountain sides. Havent had the time to check out northern Norway yet.

Still, its a free update and I dont feel like complaining too much. Maybe I will get my mind blown by MSFS2024, I sure hope so.

Happy flying guys! :blush:

I can confirm that deleting the Orbx Iceland Mesh fixed the artifacts previously experienced in Iceland.

Thank you @SeedyL3205 for your prompt response and assistance.

3 Likes

Thank you for your reply and suggestions; I’ve pretty much concluded the same - that it’s hanging up on one or more files during the startup sequence that may have been messed up during the big update - MSFS has never failed to load all the way before I had to download/install that mandatory update. Any idea if there might be logs I can look for to maybe get a clue, before I rip out absolutely everything, as you did?

1 Like