Poor Performance with RTX 3080 and 3900X CPU " Limited by MainThread"

Nope limiters

Check the glass cockpit refresh rate, if itā€™s on High, set it to low or medium.

I have the 3900x and a 2080ti. Iā€™m running at 5120 x 1440 240hz monitor. The problem is definitely the cpu. Itā€™s bottlenecking. The 3900x ipc (instructions per clock) is below that of an Intel chip at the same speed. The newer AMD 5900x specs put it above the ipc of an Intel running at the same speed. So the newer 5000 series is ment to be much better than the Intel chips. This is something that will come when the benchmarks come out over time once the embargo is released. Going off the specs for the 5900x. It is been said to have better single core performance than the 10900k. Which is great news for the AMD users. The 3080 gpu is great at the higher resolutions. But itā€™s not being utilised at the lower res to its full potential. If I drop from 5120 x 1440 to 2160 x 1440 then I also get bottlenecked by the cpu and get 50fps in the air on average. But at the higher res I get the same fps but the gpu utilisation is at 96% instead of 65% at lower res. Which means Iā€™m making the most of what equipment I have. I have on order the 3080 and as soon as I can pre order the 5900x that will also be on order. Hope this explains a bit to you.

1 Like

Clock speed is overrated. The only thing that matters for single-thread performance is actual single-thread performance. Roughly speaking that depends on clock speed and IPC (instructions per clock). The 3000 series already beats Intel in IPC, and the 5000 series has a claimed +19% boost there.
In other words: when a 10900K and a 5800X are both at 5 GHz, the 5800X wins big.
Now, it canā€™t quite reach 5 GHz, but it can still win thanks to the much higher IPC.

So basically: the 3900X is about 8.2% faster than Intel at the same clock speed (according to third party benchmarks). The new CPUs are claimed to have a 19% higher IPC than that, which makes (since they multiply together) 28.75%. So if you want to translate that to an ā€œequivalent clock speedā€ measure, the new AMD CPUs at 4.8 GHz boost will be as fast as an Intel at 4.8 * 1.2875 = 6.18 GHz in single-threaded performance, assuming AMDs claims are true ā€“ which they have been in the past.

A far easier way to show this is true is to look at the Pentium 4 or Bulldozer-based FX series that have high clock frequencies but awful performance. Hereā€™s an example of a 7.5 GHz CPU performing worse on liquid nitrogen than my 1st gen Ryzen on air.

6 Likes

Welcome to flightsim.
Really dont see what you are complaining aboutā€¦40 fps on a 1440 widescreen that is absolutely mindblowingā€¦in a flightsimā€¦
Have a i7 10.700 2070 super, 32 GB and getting 25 fps on a 5700x1080 3 monitor setup and I am so happy.
In this sim dont think you will ever see like 90 fps 4k even in 10 years time.
Lots of people are having CTD and I bet that this is due to In most cases midrange PC not able to cope.
In a flightsim you dont need 100 fps to enjoy it.
Anything above 20 fps is acceptable and abovec30 fps is just wasted really.

11 Likes

Nothing wrong with the hardware.
When you change global settings or make big changes in the settings.
Restart the simulation youā€™ll get false results otherwise.
Threaded optimization off in GPU settings?
Update your motherboard bios to the latest motherboard chipset drivers updated?
Nvidia drivers , have you tried the previous version that supports the 3080.
Monitor driver the correct one?
Have you tried plugging the computer into a 4k TV and see what results are.
Display port or hdmi cable? Tried a swap ?
Windows playā€™s a part here , only in regards to Msfs.Hopefully the new windows build might help.Game mode off in Windows?
No overlay from Nvidia,Steam or Xbox?
Make sure as little background stuff is running before launching the simulation giving room on the mainthread.Asobo are trying to move stuff off mainthread at the moment, perhaps the next update.
I know itā€™s not a technical answer, hopefully something new to try.

4 Likes

Iā€™ll second this. AI traffic breaks the sim.

KKT

3 Likes

Hi. To avoid misunderstandings, game is using all your cpu cores. ItĀ“s only that it has 4 main threads: one is scheduling tasks to the others, one is dedicated to rendering, one to scenery and so on. But all your available cores are used to perform those tasks, so I would not limit your cores or disable HT. How cores are used was explained by devs in last stream.

Regarding the performance problem, are you using >100% scaling in game settings? If so you are requesting your system to work at resolutions higher than 4k (8k if set to 200%). That could be simply too much for the HW. The rendering scale is mainly intended for 1080p resolutions, to get better visuals by rendering at 4k and resampling to 1080p, as Nvidia DSR does.

Check your resolutions using the fps counter in the developer mode to be sure you are not pushing the card too much. I see in the video you run at 110%, so you are trying to go over 4kā€¦

On the other hand your fps will be limited by Vsync if you are forcing it on Nvidia panel even if disabled in game as shown in your video, as game currently uses your desktop refresh rate. So, if you have set refresh rate at 144Hz it will try to achive 144fps, 72fps, 48fps, 36fps, etc, so going to next lower step everytime if performance canĀ“t be maintained. Try using lower refresh rates to release workload and to ensure you can stay on your lowest acceptable fps target most of the time. The list of fps targets is next:

*** 144 Hz ***
1/2 72 fps
1/3 48 fps
1/4 36 fps
1/5 29 fps
1/6 24 fps

*** 120 Hz ***
1/2 60 fps
1/3 40 fps
1/4 30 fps
1/5 24 fps
1/6 20 fps

*** 100 Hz ***
1/2 50 fps
1/3 33 fps
1/4 25 fps
1/5 20 fps

*** 85 Hz ***
1/2 42 fps
1/3 28 fps
1/4 21 fps

*** 60 Hz ***
1/2 30 fps
1/3 20 fps
1/4 15 fps

In my case (2080Ti at 1080p with 200% scaling) I found my system works well at steady 40fps in most cases. So I decided to use 120Hz as my desktop refresh always, using the 40fps target limit (the 1/3 step). When performance drops it goes to 30fps (the 1/4 step) but usually it does not go lower than that, which for me is more than enough.

The 50fps cap seen at the end of video could be that you are staying at the 48fps cap if you run at 144Hz, thatĀ“s why you see this limit, as system canĀ“t reach 72fps, which would be the next higher target. I also noticed that in my case, cause I also started flying at 144Hz and went crazy as you trying to figure out what was capping the fps even on lowest settings.

Cheers

11 Likes

What I donā€™t really get is why Iā€™m ā€œlimited by main threadā€ although said thread isnā€™t even maxing out itā€™s core, let alone the whole core grid.

Iā€™m running on a Haswell refresh Xeon E3-1231v3 with the cores sitting at around 75% load max. The processor will barely boost to the max either.

Itā€™s either one or more of my settings or some limitation in the code.

I think this is just telling you that the main thread (the one scheduling tasks to the other three) is the one that is having the highest latency to submit the tasks (the highest miliseconds value). It seems they defined what the optimal ms value would be and whenever it goes above it, it turns yellow/red and drops the alert. Other times I see limited by GPU, soā€¦ Who knows. ItĀ“s a developer mode. I guess the idea was simply to be able to measure the performance, and for that they needed to define some values.

I donĀ“t think that thereĀ“s anything applying physical limitations in the code, but I didnĀ“t write it, you knowā€¦ Everything is possible nowadays. Software is a way to promote the need of hardware, and all this is a business at the end. As of today I thrust developers :sweat_smile:, and I donĀ“t really pay to much attention to the developer mode indications but to how the sim feels while flying. I donĀ“t want to repeat the never ending tweaking history in the search of optimal performance I suffered with FSX and P3D for years :blush:

Cheers

3 Likes

Dreadful performance is already on the bug list. Just make a zendesk ticket and wait.

2 Likes

I totally agree. But if Iā€™m not wrong itā€™s said ā€œlimitationā€ that is preventing me from getting a higher frame count.

I want to share what I tested and know about fps efficency

My monitor 2k 144 mhz .The tecknician where ı bought my monitor told me that if you want to see full fps that 144 mhz.you must use data port cable for connect monitor and computer.
Not msfs but for another game ı tried this.when ı used hdmi cable ı took 60 fps.when ı tried dataport cable ı saw 144 mhz in that game

Now ı am taking 50-60 fps in msfs 2020 with
Ä°9/9900k and 2080 ti

3 Likes

i am at 1440p with 8700k @5.1ghz + 1080ti Aorus extreme overclocked.
High-settings : from 50s to 85s ( sometimes 40s in populated airports/areas)
Ultra-settings : 60s to 40s ( 30s in busy airports/areas)
i am mostly limited by ā€œgreenā€ GPU which i guess its normal

Do you have the latest edition of windows 10 ( 2004) ? which Power Plan you have. Something is limiting your hardware.

I expected this thread much early, now he is alive :slight_smile: ā€¦ the first people got here 3080 and thought all would be better.

Now I own an 2080Ti and noticed ā€œlong agoā€ that the main perf-gap is not the GraKa, itā€™s just one single threadā€¦ strange is, it is allways the same Core which runs in 100% ( I expect at least a cycle , but each time same core ). ( i8700k )

My assumption is, it is just because of dx11 and we have to wait till they made the switch to dx12. I spend better no words about why they give us a so called final release with DX11 ( unbelivable if we know who is master of these directx stuff ā€¦ ). In other flight simā€™s it was a huge different in DX11 vs DX12 and or Vulcanā€¦ and the newest on the marketā€¦ ah, I would not spend some words :rofl:
I hope they can stay in time with this switch, other flight sims struggled bit with the changeā€¦

1 Like

Your 3900X is the bottleneck right now due to the main game thread. If you want maximum performance youā€™d need to get the fastest single threaded cpu available which is currently the i9-10900K. Google single thread cpu benchmark to see comparisons.

All games have a main game thread itā€™s just FS 2020ā€™s main thread does a lot more than most. Perhaps in the future they will find things they can move to other threads or push to the gpu.
2 Likes

They told in interview that dx is for rendering only which is only a few milliseconds in the thread. So the real problem lies elsewhere. Dx12 canā€™t fix the mainthread.

1 Like

Just as we already knew would be the case; and even benchmarks from places like Gamers Nexus. :small_airplane: :smiley_cat:

2 Likes

Yep limited by main thread is a CPU bottleneck because it canā€™t complete enought calculations per clock cycle which is worst on Ryzen because of the poor boost clocks.

This is the reality we live in, there has to be a game thread which dishes out work to other threads and unless this code gets more optimised then it doesnā€™t matter how many cores you have it will be a waste. I think itā€™s been proven no more than 6 cores are used but utilisation isnā€™t great on these additional cores either.

GPU will not help here. You can get more use out of the GPU moving to a higher resolution which is whatā€™s meant by changing you monitor I think I saw in somebody elses comment, GPU is around 60-70% so you have plenty of overhead but for faster frames youā€™ll need to make you main CPU thread work less hard by turning down some of the AI settings for example or somehow lock it to a higher clock speed.

There could be other stuff happening as well running in the background so it would be worth seeing what else is running on your system which you could try closing down like any antivirus software just to see if CPU cycles are being used up needlessly.

1 Like

I have a home built system similar to the OP. I have an AMD 3800X, 32 GB of RAM and an RX 5700. I also have the game on an NVME drive. I turned off multiplayer as well as AI and I have no issues at all. I find that my AMD system has no problems with MSFS or any other game I play. There must be something in the OPā€™s configuration causing issues. There is nothing wrong with an AMD system. Letā€™s not make this thread into an AMD vs Intel one.

2 Likes