Popped-out panels should remember positions

I currently pop out my PFD and display it on a second monitor maximized. The issue is that I have to do this every single time I start a flight. It would be very nice if there was a way to remember the popout location and size on a per-aircraft basis so that when you start a new flight the screen will be popped out and positioned automatically as opposed to have to do it manually every single time.

I have a Diamond DA62 dashboard with G1000 PFD and MFD emulated on two 11.5ā€ touch screen monitors, after the ideas of Russ Barlow and running on Air Manager. All runs fine For X-Plane.

I want to migrate this dashboard to FS2020. Air Manager is FS2020 ready. Migration requires me to make popouts of both G1000 screens and place these within the Air Manager bezels on my 11.5ā€ touch monitors.

In FS2020, With Alt Gr - mouse click on the G1000 PFD or MFD, a popout pops out and can be moved around, even to other monitors. But, alas, these popouts do not persist in the place I wish to have them.
Persistent popouts are a prerequisite for each serious cockpit builder! I am convinced, that many people will be helped with such a provision.

Han Schouten

You did notice that only the displays pop and not the actual instrument pops out like in olden times. So even if your G1000 popped out you still have look down into the cockpit to push buttons.

1 Like

Hi, That is the beauty of Air Manager! It wil offer you a host of ready-to-use instruments, a lot of these working alone, most of them freeware. Some, like the G1000 PFD and MFD, require popouts from your flight simulator 3D cockpit. These popouts are then placed in G1000 bezels that run on touch screens and are fully functional Air Manager programs. There exists a device called ā€œKnobsterā€ that makes turning the knobs on such bezels a lot easier!

X-Plane makes popouts persist in the right spot and over sessions. FS2020 doesnā€™t. Maybe it does, but then nobody has found out how to do it.

All instruments in Air Manager work with X-Plane. Although Air Manager is (nearly) FS2020 ready, it will take some time to port all the instruments and panels to FS2020.

Han Schouten

1 Like

Itā€™s great being able to pop out certain gauges from the cockpit but Iā€™m forced to do this manually for each flight, then resize and reposition these on my screen as I see fit. I would like to see the gauges size and location recalled for each plane where I have popped them out, so when starting a new flight in a given plane, I do not have to repeat the process of setting up my on screen gauges for the flight.

2 Likes

When popping out instrument panels using Right Alt + Click, their position should be remembered for the next flight/sim restart. This will help those with home cockpits from having to pop out and drag the instrument displays to their other monitors each time.

2 Likes

Slightly off topic, but it would also be great if mouse click events on those popped out panels didnā€™t propagate into the 3D cockpit. Right now if you pop out a touch display and click on it, any button/knob you happen to look at in the cockpit will be clicked as well.

Really good idea. Voted.

1 Like

It would really be nice if the simulator software would look to see if the RealSimGear units are attached and then put the PFD and MFD on the RealSimGear units.

1 Like

What youā€™re really asking for is for it to remember window positions between sessions, which I totally agree with. RSG units are just extra monitors (with G1000 style bezels) into which you drag your popped out instruments. A generic ā€œremember last window positionsā€ option would be amazing.

2 Likes

Got my vote too ā€¦ this feature sure would be helpful for those of us lucky enough to have multiple monitors. I would also like to vote to have the buttons that control the various functions on the window broken out as well. Even though we can see the PFD and NAV for example, we need to go back to the main monitor to click the buttons.

2 Likes

Hi there

Its great to see that theyā€™re working on multi monitor support. However I think there should also be a possibility to not only save a flight but also save the custom pop out panels positions for the next flight. Furthermore it should also be possible to double the same panel window (for example: Captain and first officer PFD ). That would be really helpful especially for homecockpit builders!

Cheers

1 Like

Iā€™m surprised this topic has taken this long to be brought forward, but here goes. There are many topics covering pop-out window features for various windows, but none where their base functionality is the same.

Iā€™d like to have any popped out windows locations saved, on a per-aircraft basis as obviously a A320 doesnā€™t have a GNS530 and the C172 doesnā€™t have an EICAM/PFD/ND. This would also apply to ATC, weather and any other windows that pop out from the base sim screen. Save their locations and on loading the aircraft, the windows would auto-pop-out and move to their locations on the desktop they last were loaded into.

Also, all windows would need to have their window titles match the popout display name as well as have a borderless mode ideally for cockpit builders.

1 Like

its been discussed many times. Pop Out work is coming, its a bit more niche, for home cockpit builders. Pop Out your PFD and study it, maybe soonish we will see Popout instruments in the form of browser apps over a network. that works very well, check out SkyElite and try their demo, its an elegant solution with no accompanying frame rate hit.

yeah, that doesnt work for my seneca cockpitā€¦gns530, gns430, wx radar and transponder all need popout and positioned for each flightā€¦

Professional cockpit builders have already created their own proprietary mod that does this. Such feature is essential for building something at the FNTP grade.
And not only that.
For example itā€™s also required that the all the essential instrument pop-outs get focused immediately by the OS of the machine thatā€™s rendering them. They always need to automatically get placed at XYZ,d1/XYZ,d2/XYZ,d3/etc predefined positions - that small ā€œd1/d2/d3/ā€¦ā€ is the display ID, so when the simulator is started for the training session every pop-out is precisely within their small screens with custom designed or market bezels together with switches/knobs/buttons that are interfaced with the simulator core and mapped so that they operate those pop-out instruments properly and symmetrically interact with the simulator.

But you never know how some specific custom created WASM instrument pop-out is interfacing with the OS input layer - meaning - does it need to also come into focus right away in order to receive inputs !

Especially if it is a touchscreen display with a touchscreen-based instrument pop-outā€¦and whether if its on the display hooked to the GPU of the machine that also runs the sim, or if itā€™s on another machine connected to the main machine via NDI, VBAN, TCP, UDP or whatever network and service protocolsā€¦and interfaced via SimConnect, FSUIPC, WideFS, HTTP, Garmin, Mobi, Brunner or whatever software protocols with the aircraft systems in simulation.

All those factors and more have to be precisely designed and tested for an aircraft the one is building a physical cockpit for (again, FNTP and up to FTD grade cockpit).
So, there are solutions for how to also accomplish all those additional and complex details in order to make some bad**s instrument pop-ups. :slightly_smiling_face:

I would like to add that per aircraft actually means per aircraft and not per instrument type like xplane11 does it. Meaning just because I placed the location of the g1000 PFD and mfd for one aircraft do not assume I want the g1000 for a different aircraft in the same location because I may not. Many aircraft use units such as the g1000, gns etc and I need to place them in different locations for different aircraft. I also will not require every popout available so it would need to only remember the ones I previously popped, sized and located.

This is a big deal for me. I would love to see it soon.

1 Like

I think this is absurd that they havenā€™t addressed this issue. It takes me so long to reposition pop out windows that I have gone back to xplane11. Asobo doesnā€™t seem to be concerned with the requests of serious simmers.

100% got my vote. If every popped out Window state, size and position were persisted on a per aircraft basis Iā€™d be very happy indeed.

1 Like

For anyone else coming here in vain waiting for fundamental issues like this and the lack of touchscreen support to be fixed donā€™t bother. Itā€™s been over 2 years now and still nothing. Go get yourself POPM (pop out panel manager). Itā€™s a free download and addresses this, has a workaround for the touch and loss of mouse focus all in the one App.

If this can be achieved externally from the sim why oh why is this still an issue with the sim itself. Iā€™m fed up with this continual ā€˜Hereā€™s some new content you didnā€™t ask forā€™ mentality and the sheer neglect of issues like these. Come on guys and girls you have to do better. The Perception rightly or wrongly is you donā€™t care. Show us you do.

1 Like