Port Vila, Vanuatu (NVVV) Where is it?

I tried to fly there today, I could not make a flight plan to the airport.

Am I going crazy or does the largest airport in Vanuatu not exist?

lots of airports dont exist. if they didnt have a good photo to trace over at the time they made the airports, there is no airport.

It’s the largest airport in the nation.
Google earth screenshot attached here but in MsFs 2020 the airport looks like a partial shadow, it’s quite strange. It also doesn’t exist in the flight planner but the airspace is clearly marked. Very strange.

Look at the Bing Map aerial images, which might explain why the airport isn’t there lol. Making use of bad imagery and also outdated data that some airfields are censored due to military use.

1 Like

This is the MSFS 2020 aerial view.

Ugh, added to the list of places not to go in MSFS.

you dont have to convince me, i’ve been annoyed with asobo’s entire technique of doing airports since the beginning, because this is what results.

also, they do not use google. they use bing. and bing only. no charts, no anything else, just the bing image.

the problem is they apparently have no backup method to create airports if there is no bing image, so they just skip the airport altogether.

NVVV is quite interesting from an IFR perspective with RWY 11 using an offset localizer. Keen to give this approach a crack I rush in to the sim to find Bauerfield does not exist… This is akin to giving a baby candy and then taking it away.

1 Like

I have reported this on the Zendesk and have noted the issue status has been changed to solved so I guess we will just have to wait and see.

1 Like

ChiefLettuce822,
You are welcome to build this airport as I personally do not have enough hours in the day for such projects. Cheers.

Your Post jogged my memory of my Visit to Vanuatu.
6 day’s after arriving Cyclone Pam almost removed Port Vila from the face of the Planet.

I’ve just made a simple one, enjoy :smile:

Download:
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AsbZ9Fqbp6NQjGqL4BdxzBcxDTMX?e=Gb6IyG

2 Likes

I’ve just made some enhancements to the airport:

1. A more detailed apron with “formal” taxiways is added. Taxi ribbons will be shown if enabled although a little bit buggy.
  2. PAPI lights are added in correct positions. Although an offset localizer is present for runway 11 in real life, but I think it is not that useful in the game so I didn’t add it. Just do a VFR circuit approach instead.
  3. Ground and tower frequencies are added, according to those specified in AIP.

The download link is unchanged, just download again and replace, enjoy :smile:

1 Like