Possible fix for Constant CTDs in VR

I’ve been having constant CTDs in VR (Reverb G2) since the release of VR mode in December. I have 10850K + 6800XT set up with 64GB RAM, and have tried everything that’s been suggested under the sun including multiple fresh installs of Win 10 as well as the sim and the AMD driver. I always end up with either the d3d11.dll or VCRUNTIME140.dll as the falling module in event viewer. I have not been able to fly in my G2 without a crash unless it’s a short 15 min airport hop. That is until yesterday. My computer has the GPU always pegged at 99%. I decided to offload the graphics so that the sim will bottleneck between CPU and GPU (flashing between limited by MT vs GPU). I did it by simply lowering the render scale in the sim. The utilization dropped from 99% to 60-98%, the junction temp dropped by 10c, and I was able to finish a 3 hour flight without crashing.

Just for clarification, my GPU is running on a custom water loop and the thermal is 50c edge /65c junction, so it’s not the thermal issue. No overclocking (CPU, GPU, Mem) all stock. I just another flight with 100% render scale and the sim crashed mid flight again.

So my guess is that the sim has an issue with putting max load on the driver. Even a few points below 99% utilization, the sim seems to be stable.

For those who are getting either d3d11.dll or VCRUNTIME140.dll related CTD, please check to see if this resolves the issue. This is not a permanent solution and MS/ASOBO will have to fix this, but at least we can be assured that this is the issue with the sim. I have not experience any CTD in any other game/sim 24/7.

I am running another 4 hour flight with render scale reduced to offload the GPU ultilization. Keeping my fingers crossed.

it’s well known, and mentioned within existing threads, that for some users the manually limitation of here system load solve here system issues ( e.g over heading ).

Some users do it with a Max-FPS settting, some users simple with reducing the LOD, render scaling etc.

At least this is the point:

thus your system is not able to run stable over hours and hours in full load, which you avoid by lowering your system load.

note: my “Asus Rog Strix 2080Ti OC” is also after 5hours of flight-time in around 60degree by 90-100% load ( 3840x1600 / most ultra settings ).

EDIT: doubled post