Possible fix for improving the graphics after SU5

No idea mate, but that’s what causes issues with the streamed autogen

I hope you’re right. It’s just so dumb: imagine they had said "dear PC players, due to the required optimizations for your Xbox brethren, your sim will be downgraded for x months. Don’t worry, it’s bouncing back to high quality asap. Please bear with us.

They could have avoided so much confusion and drama.

3 Likes

Your pic proves the point of locked resource usage. Not even 8 of 64 RAM and just over 7 of VRAM. That is the point. B4 it would use up to 28 of my 64 RAM.

1 Like

No, my post proves that the game will use more than 6.8Gb per the message I was replying to. Did you look at the peak number? Higher than 9. Of course it uses less than it did, but it’s not locked.

Before it used to be laggy and stuttery. Before if I used advanced sim rate at max it would die to 3 FPS and crash. Before I couldn;t fly over New York or London without massive stutters and very low frame rates.

Keep your agenda to yourself. I was replying to someone else.

My only agenda, as you call it is to get the game that we had back. Cya.

Xbox peasants, that’s what needs culling, not our RAM or details…

I’ve noticed this too… Enter clouds or fog and fps tanks. This is also new. So bad

When my memory was loaded above 10g, the game flashed back.

[sarcasm]
If this means going one level above the **** mess that we’re seeing right now, we’ll end up at mediocre at best…
[/sarcasm]

Sorry, couldn’t resist. What troubles me the most is that Jorg and Seb explicitly said that they’ve achieved what nobody believed is possible: optimizing the game without dumbing it down. Well, here we are.

The fix is to get an Xbox. It says it right in Microsoft store on PC.

4 Likes

And this is the other thing that troubles me deeply (maybe @Jummivana can think about that, she closed the respective thread):

The LOD, culling or popping–or whatever you wanna call it–and weather issues are so darn obvious, it doesn’t need the community to bring them to the attention of Asobo! Especially after Seb was explaining in great detail, that they’ve now fixed the tree LOD issue. It’s so ironic that he proudly showed the enhancements there and afterwards we get an update where I just want to get back the game from before, including the tree issue! :smiley:

I’d fully understand if they weren’t able to fulfill all their promises and needed more time to optimize the PC version. Why not being open and honest about it and tell us “we had set the date for the Xbox release and we’re bound to it, hadn’t had the time to finalize the PC version. Expect some visual downgrades, but we promise they’ll be fixed four weeks later.”

Too much to ask for? Guess so.

EDIT: Sorry, @BearsAreCool510, didn’t see your post from a couple of hours ago until now. You made that point first and it’s exactly how I think about it.

3 Likes

I think it has become obvious that they at ASOBO need to separate MSFS into two - one optimized for xBox and another for PC. The idea that they can ‘soften’ this one program and still keep both sets of customers satisfied is wrongheaded. The disparity between the best xbox and even a modestly equipped PC is just too much. Optimize one MSFS for xBox and lock down or encrypt the .cfg’s - and another for PC with editable .cfg’s and higher specs, so that we can better adjust the sim for our use.
They have the greatest resources ever amassed for flight sim development to date. You have two very different platforms - make two sims.

2 Likes

I often fly RJTH to RJTT with FBW A320 and RJTT is a particularly loaded airport.
So I tried to find out how much RAM and VRAM the SIM uses at RJTT.

The system configuration and SIM settings are as follows.

System spec (Overview):
CPU: AMD Ryzen7 5800X
CPU Cooler: Fractal Design Celsius+ S36 Dynamic
GPU: MSI RTX 3090 SUPRIM X 24GB
RAM: G.Skill 4x16GB 3600Mhz DDR4
M.2 SSD: Seagate FireCuda 520 1TB (MSFS)
Monitors: ASUS G-Sync/FreeSync 2560x1440

MSFS Graphic Settings:
Ultra
2560x1440
V-sync ON

UserCfg.opt:
Terrain
LoDFactor 4.000000

VolumetricClouds
Enabled 1
Quality 6

PostProcess
EyeAdaptation 0
ColorGrading 0

Mods:
FBW A320 (Development)

Scenery:
SamScene3D Tokyo Landmarks Enhanced
RJTT Tokyo International Airport, revised based on the New Aerodrome Chart

The following screenshot shows the moment when RJTT recorded the maximum VRAM usage.
The point of view is facing north and looking towards the central Tokyo area.

It shows 10GB of VRAM being used.
I remember that SU4 used about 12GB of VRAM in the same situation.

About 17GB of RAM is used.
I remember that SU4 used about 21GB of RAM in the same situation.

Lastly, the FPS is between 30fps and 35fps.
In SU4, it was 23fps to 30fps in the same situation.

Nowadays RJTT’s FPS is very stable compared to SU4 and rarely drops below 30fps even though there are more players flying around.
In SU4, it was below 30fps during final approach and sometimes below 25fps during landing.

So while SU5 has its problems, I feel that it also has some very positive improvements.
For example, when I flew supersonic over Paris at low altitude in SU4, the fps dropped well below 30 fps to 19 fps, but when I did the same thing in SU5, it consistently exceeded 40 fps.

1 Like

May I ask if you could use the DevMode to check the 17GB RAM usage you mentioned? I’d be interested to see that! The highest I achived after SU5 are 8.1GB.
Thanks!

1 Like

I’ve never used DevMode before.
Can I check the RAM usage just by enabling DevMode from the options?

1 Like

Yes- Then a black bar will appear on the top of your screen. There you choose Options and Display FPS. The FPS display will also display the RAM usage.
Would be cool if you could take a screenshot of it.
To deactivate everything just unselect “display FPS” and close the DEVMode. Dont worry. You can’t break anything.

1 Like

FPS improvements are welcome, but not at the expense of visual quality. There are sliders for that.

2 Likes

The following is the result.

In case of cold start at the same spot in RJTT.

ADIRS ON

I will now fly from RJTH to RJTT in order to take a screenshot with the conditions as aligned as possible.

1 Like

Peak CPU Memory is at 8.85GB. That’s more than I could get it to use, but you still got 55.15 GB that are not filled with FSMS related stuff. I’d be interested if it gets more during flight.

Are you using developer mode to monitor system and Vram? Task manager will show total system use, while in game developer mode shows game use. Reason I am asking, I tried pushing sim as hard as possible, and couldn’t break 8 gigs of vram use. System memory was a bit higher but not what it was before SU 5.

i9 11900k
RTX 3090
64 Gigs ddr4 3600
WD Black 1 tb gen 4 Nvme drive