Post-SU14: Incredibly long loading times, loading screen stuck at 100%

:wave: Thank you for using the Bug section, using templates provided will greatly help the team reproducing the issue and ease the process of fixing it.

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

No

Have you disabled/removed all your mods and addons? If the issue still occurs with no mods and add-ons, please continue to report your issue. If not, please move this post to the Community Support section.

Yes

Brief description of the issue:

After SU14, I have had issues that were intermittent until today where loading into the main menu was a) taking astronomically long times (15-20 minutes) and b) occasionally getting stuck during loading and never loading. The latter usually sees the progress bar on the “New Activities” screen get stuck at 100% and never go to the menu, I’ve let it run for upwards of an hour. It does not show as Not Responding in the task manager.

Sometimes the various loading screens have black backgrounds / don’t fully load the images, etc.

I have tried normal mode, safe mode after force closing it, cleaned everything out of my community folder, and tried running in administrator because why not.

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

N/A. Open the sim, watch it load, then watch it never reach the menu.

Many issues may be due to an outdated graphics card. Please state your Graphics Card Driver Manufacturer (NVIDIA, Intel, AMD) and Version (Learn how to find your current graphics card driver version):

AMD, driver is 23.12.1

PC specs and/or peripheral set up if relevant:

AMD 6900xt, AMD Ryzen 7 5900X3D, 64 GB of RAM, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit, MSFS is via Steam

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:

Long loading times and difficulties loading in have been a hallmark of MSFS throughout its life, but only since SU14 has it been this severe.

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

yes

same exact issue.

N/A the loading screen is the same and shows the progress bar at 100% sometimes the loading screen is black with only some of the the icons showing up.

yes

same thing

I have had the same experience, but have found that if I REBOOT when I get it, MSFS loads again. Basically I have to reboot after every flight. Give that a try and see if it helps. I realize it’s not a fix, but if it works, it’ll get you in the air again.

Sometimes rebooting helps, sometimes it persists across reboots.

I finally got it to load last night after nothing particularly changed.

I am wondering if it has something to do with server issues on the Asobo side since it’s often accompanied by the pictures in the loading screens only partially loading.

I had this exact issue. I did find that my video card had a newer driver available, which I did install. The sim loaded on the next attempt but all of my settings had been erased and everything was set to the lowest possible settings. I have not yet tried a second time so I do not know if it was a true fix, or if I just managed to get lucky that last time.

Same issues here. I do not want to remove all add-ons. I want a working FS.
I will try to empty the Community folder.
MSFS belong apparently to the Microsoft tradition to provide updates that incapacitate their own apps. Sad.

2 Likes

I have the same issue since Update 14, long loading times, FPS Drops through the CPU and more Problems. Get tired with this! How get MSFS 2024 if they sill having issues on 2020 lol

1 Like

Yes

Using an i7-11700kf and a 3090, the game in a purely vanilla state will not load, exactly as OP described.

n/a

And just like that, after 2 months of the sim being stuck, I think I’ve got it working again. I previously had been pretty careful to remove all traces of MSFS before reinstalling the game, but it looks like I missed a map cache in C:[user]\AppData\Local\FlightSimulator. After removing this and starting the sim, it seems to be functioning ok. The cache I deleted was dated roughly around the time the game stopped loading, so I suspect that it was somehow poisoning the loading process. It may be worth giving this a shot!

1 Like

Yesterday everything worked fine. Did a normal flight. Today, stuck on the “Fly” loading page and I mean stuck. Progress bar gets to the “end” and just stays there for minutes and minutes. I tried just about everything suggested to fix – clear Community folder, delete rolling cache, delete various other “caches” , etc.-- to no avail. I DIDN’T CHANGE A DARNED THING!!! And now I can’t use the $4K software/hardware I spent to be able to use this app.

I realize that there are a multitude of different hdwr/sftwr configs in this world. But, I DID NOT CHANGE A THING and the app stops working; I should think that the onus would be on the provider – given that so much of this app is in the cloud.

I guess I’ll just have to waste another day to do an uninstall/reinstall and see what happens. But I’ll bet you it that won’t fix a thing. Or maybe I’ll go back to Prepar3d. At least it runs.

I’ve had this issue intermittently. I suspect it’s a network problem. If I disconnect the internet and launch the sim it loads every time. You can reconnect after you get to the menu. I don’t know if this will work for everyone but so far it has worked for me. Hopefully this will help somebody.

In my experience, the main menu or flight will eventually load, even if it seems to be talking a very long time.

One trick I’ve found to shorten load times with SU14 is to:

In Windows 11, Go to Windows Settings >> Apps >> Installed Apps >> Click 3 dots and select “Advanced Options” beside Microsoft Flight Simulator >> Under Reset, select “Repair”.

P.S. DO NOT SELECT “RESET” in the last step, or you will loose many of your settings. Use reset only as a last resort if your MSFS install isn’t working.

Repair is much gentler and keeps in-game settings in tact and for whatever reason temporarily fixes long load times.

I’m hoping this is resolved with SU15 :crossed_fingers:

Have the same issue. Parked the sim before SU14 and now I feel the loading times like x2 or x3 times longer than ever.

Yes!

After SU14 & Ornithopter install, the loading times are mad! Also from flight into main menu sometimes.