Power lines, antennas, masts, cable cars/gondolas

Also, besides just an obstacle, they can be used for VFR navigation. If it’s on the VFR chart, it should be in the sim so that you can use it for VFR.

1 Like

I would glad to see the Power Lines linked together with a power cable like this

3 Likes

In the latest Q&A they mentioned Blackshark working on churches for the next world update. That’s great news!

Churches are really something important with VFR flying in Europe!
I hope it won’t be limited to the UK.

The fact that most churches are simply missing (not even replaced by generic buildings) hints that they do account for the special buildings.

1 Like

I vote for this features request because for VFR flight it would be very important to see Cable Car, Antennas, and realistic powerlines.

I’m trying to fulfill your wishes,
Europe is -almost- ready:
As long as we will have a way to exclude msfs powerlines, with the same method they can also be fixed

https://flightsim.to/file/14840/project-litfts-europe!
Screenshot (108)|690x388

1 Like

Greaat add-on. I nearly flew into the lift cable near Neuschwanstein Castle trying to soar the slope!

1 Like

Antennas, chimneys, construction cranes, radar domes, and sat dishes/radio telescopes are available here:

Europe and North Africa for now. Soon also North and South America.

More object types in development.

3 Likes

would love to see Radio Towers and Antennas

1 Like

I would like to see a cable connecting the pylons as well. And very important - it should have crash detection. There are more aviation accidents connected with power lines than you might think.

1 Like

An important aspect of VFR navigation is to use references which are on the sectional charts. One very common one is antenna structures. MSFS 2020 appears to have none of those shown in the game. The awesome thing is that adding them requires no manual work once automation is in place to access the database of structures which is used to build the sectional charts.

I have put the link below to the FCC Antenna Structure Registration search. The database is public domain information which includes the exact coordinates and height of all antenna structures in the US, which should be accessible to consume in it’s entirety for completely free. I don’t see the full database download option on the website directly, but being a government funded public resource, they should provide it upon request.

Please do take advantage of that and import yet another element of the sim realism for pilots using it for training.

https://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/AsrSearch/asrRegistrationSearch.jsp

Why not just download We Love VFR - Region 1 » Microsoft Flight Simulator and We Love VFR - Region 2 » Microsoft Flight Simulator ?

3 Likes

I didn’t know that a third-party solution existed until now. I’ll definitely give it a try now, thank you!

However, I would still argue that it should be built in by default. Especially with how easy it should be to implement given the open data source.

So much of the selling point of MSFS 2020 is how they used machine learning and a massive set of world-side satellite coverage to get such a high quality and accurate reproduction of the entire planet. Why stop and leave out something that is so important to the flight aspects of the world?

Believe me, it’s not easy. I’ve spent countless hours creating an automated system to parse OSM and other data. Then countless hours of manual reviewing more prominent objects, then a lot of time modelling them etc etc. Satellite images give you nothing in terms of antennas and similar objects with a small footprint. Sometimes, even for me, it’s hard to tell if the antenna is in place or was demolished.
Still you can do that. But it takes a loooooooot of work and I doubt the automated results would be any good. Especially how patchy data is and how many errors you can get. I’m currently manually reviewing 5000 cooling towers around the world to assign them proper type, colour, dimensions and even some other details. To get as close to reality as possible. Thankfully I don’t count how long it takes. Otherwise, I’d ditch it altogether or make it payware :smiley:

6 Likes

I’d love to see more antennas similar to how X-Plane Orbx areas have. They show up at altitude and have flashing lights, as they should. It adds a lot of dimension to nighttime flying!

If you fly VFR you need the radio towers etc. for NAV aids please add all the missing ones when doing world updates.

And now also proper Powerlines with wires are available for free

3 Likes

Excellent!

Amen. I found that my home church, a hundred year old brick building with steeple and spires, is a one story metal sided warehouse in MSFS 2020.

I think working with 3rd party free developers that established a good product is key here. Tell them what you want, and do some testing and add it in default. Even if it is not perfect! But the free one I have been using for at least 6 months is a fantastic start(linked above)

Also Puffins WeLoveVFR is a must!

2 Likes