Pre/post Patch 2 screenshot comparison

I tried to get the founders edition - ha ha ha. Anyway, managed to pre-order on Overclockers in the UK later in the day. Confirmed and in the queue but I fear weeks or even months of wait. I need an EVGA card (or FE) because I have a relatively small case and most cards are too big. EVGA is the only card I’ve seen less than 290mm long. 20% to 25% gain is what I’m seeing online, but with the i9, I’m hoping the new card will give the i9 more room to do it’s stuff. It sits twiddling it’s thumbd at about 30-40% usage right now, the the 2080 super running flat out!

1 Like

Nope, disagree. These shots are both PG and non PG. See the zoomed in views of the vegetation. Not an issue here. There is no way that a random bit of island off the coast of Iceland is PG. I have Saba pics - will check if they are before/after patch 2 and share them.

Thank you for the screenshots, it’s been my experience as well. That tree on the bridge was funny as heck, glad it got fixed!

I think there were some tweaks to the shader that made the overall look of patch 2 feels more vivid, accentuating the sharpness, especially under bright sunlight. I prefer a more washed look but honestly there are many pressing issues right now (like the simulation aspect of Flight Simulator), so I don’t really mind.

1 Like

Thanks - you colud try the nVidia freestyle if you have an nVidia card to tone down the vividness of the colours if you want. I can’t get the settings to save though, which I think is a bug in nVidia GeForce Experience (and not the sim, ironically!)

Excellent Comparisons, nice work. As I suspected, it’s the same, but actually improved.

From Reykjavik, Iceland there is no photogrametry. Here you can see all regions where photogrametry is available:

OK, by popular request, here are the Saba comparisons. My Saba pics were taken on 11th and 12th Sep. Patch came out on the 16th. I have 3 pics. So here are the comparisons:

Pic 1

Pre:

And up close

Pre:

Identical?

Pic 2

Pre:

I think I see a few less trees here, which is consistent with the deforestation theme we’ve seen in Patch 2.

Again, looking closer

Pre:

Buildings look very similar, although I don’t think I got the camera angle exactly matching. Definitely a few less trees, but no issues for me.

Pic 3

Pre:

Again, a few less trees (e.g. above the rocks on the left, although that could be camaera angle again). Let’s look up close:

Pre:

And just in case I get accused of not showing the trees from a distance, here is another close up.

Pre:

Yep, the trees are a little sparser now.

So there you go. As already noted, the trees have been scaled back a bit, removed from overlapping some roads etc, and all of which the community aksed for after the initial launch. I strongly suggest that anyone who still has the trees-fix on removes it because I’m pretty sure that will be reducing the already reduced trees further.

@usamor - I think that answers your question

8 Likes

Great job gordongreig. Actually this should be linked into every hate thread. I cannot comprehend the whole negativity.

1 Like

Thank you!

I saw only less shadows, but who knows… Those pics in my opinion are all about shadows…

1 Like

Can you explain further? Do you mean tree shadows, so it looks like less trees but actually isn’t?

Yes, exactly tree shadows. But it was just my honest opinion, looks much like it. Maybe you know better.

I’ve no idea really! I’m just simply going by what it looks like. To me Asobo have thinned out the trees a bit in Patch 2 and reduced the overgrown roads etc (which I think everyone seemed pretty keen on). I can’t see any other difference in the comparisons, so (for me) the level of detail has not been compromised by Asobo in Patch 2 to improve performance, which is what I have seen claimed.

Could be… But if you look closely those pictures, you’ll see there are less shadows everywhere. On rocks too. That’s why I think those trees look more sparse… But :man_shrugging:t2:

Is that a good thing or a bad thing from your point of view?

If you didn’t lower shadow settings, then it’s bad.
Before was better

Understand. I didn’t think I did. However, if it still looks as good…?

I have no pre-patch picture, but I still have pretty much trees…

I don’t actually even care. The best thing here is, I can fly! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Spot on!

4 Likes

I notice quite some differences unfortunately. The prepatch rocks on picture 1 look sharper and more detailed. The overal ground textures on picture 3 seem now unnaturally bright to me. The waves are also less detailed on picture 3.

1 Like