Precipitation in flight not aligned with aircraft freestream

Please tag your post with #pc and/or #xbox.

Are you on Steam or Microsoft Store version?
Steam

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?
No

Brief description of the issue:
The precipitation experienced in flight is grossly misaligned with the aircraft. If the aircraft is flying straight with coordination, the relative wind to the aircraft should be perfectly aligned with the fuselage, and the rain should always fall down relative to the free wind. This issue is most obvious on short final

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:
See screenshot below, which shows some flecks of snow. You’ll notice it’s not falling aligned to the aircraft, but rather down and to the left.

Detail steps to reproduce the issue encountered:
Set aircraft up with precipitation and wind in live weather, and conduct an instrument approach to short final.

PC specs and/or peripheral set up of relevant:
RTX 2070 Super, Ryzen 7 3700X, graphics on Ultra

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:
I think this has been around for a while; it only bothered me enough today to actually write a post about it.

Actually, to add to this; I think the precipitation’s sideways velocity is falling at twice the relative wind to the aircraft (e.g., the crosswind factor of the precipitation graphic is being accounted for twice

1 Like

When flying through rain or snow the precipitation should appear to arrive straight towards the pilot, regardless of wind direction. However, in MSFS, if there is sidewind, relative to the surface track, the precipitation will also arrive from an angle, as if side-slipping. This is especially obvious at night and landing lights on.
I’m almost certain the same happens with clouds, as if they were moving independently from the wind.

I’ve gone into a bit more detail here. Is this more or less what you’re seeing?

Yes, exactly and thanks for digging deeper. Could be a sign error in the code then? Perhaps the threads could be merged, @admins ?

@ConsularBuckle4

To bring attention to moderators, please DM @moderators or Flag the topic in question and select the appropriate category. If category is not available use other and advise your details.

I’ll merge this with @eefoe’s now. Check vote count and if it didn’t transfer over, vote again in @eefoe’s bug report.

To add, here’s a video of it happening in flight. You can see I’m not flying in a slip, yet the precipitation is coming from the right.

This is clearly non-physical.