Press any key to start + Voice saying "Pres any key to start"

For the last few weeks, I have had the sim not want to start, with a “Press any key to start” message, PLUS, what seems new, an audio voice saying “Press any key to start”

The only way I have found around this is to re-install MSFS, but that is now getting very old !!!

I have done the logging in and out of X-box thing, but it does not help.
The only thing that fixes it is a 100% Re-install of MSFS (or maybe there is a better way)

On beta, with empty community folder, and no 3rd part addons in Official.
It was working fine yesterday, this morning I get the stupid “Press any key to start”

Any suggestions would be most welcome …

I should have the PC premium/deluxe version installed, but when this issue happens, it seem to think I am a on Game pass (installed), which I have never had .

Is there a way to FIX this without having to delete & re-install MSFS yet again.

From what I can see, it is getting messed up and thinking I am on Gamepass, and have the gamepass version installed ???

Try removing then reinstalling the Xbox app.

Thanks … I have done that, but will try again.

Is it know why this should randomly be happening all of a sudden , only starting to happen in the past two weeks

Not that I have noticed, but I have seen an increase in reports.

You could also try the same with Gaming Services.

so, I have uninstalled EVERYTHING X-box, and am re-booting.
Then I will re- install the Xbox & Insider apps and try again, but I am not hopeful

1 Like

Why does MS now always seem to be trying to TRICK me to install game pass !!! – which seems to be my issue, it has somehow got Gamepass installed on my PC without me knowing or wanting it .

Back to “Press any button to start”

This is i ultra Frustrating !!

keep on coming back to the status that seems to indicate I only have Gamepass Version installed, (but I do not have Gamepass)

and hence the way to fix it is to RE-Install MSFS again !!! (all day exercise) – 3rd time in a week

Hardly a surprise that many PC users HATE X-Box , and the issues it causes them ,

Would I avoid all these X-Box issues, if later I bought MSFS 2024 on steam ??

So, (yet again) Uninstalled MSFS, and now it does not show as being installed under GAME PASS

Now to re-install the non-gamepass version again !!

1 Like

Why is it saying I OWN the gamepass version ??

Can I dis-own it !!

It could be that your Xbox Credentials have become corrupted - it happens occasionally to me and I’m unable to download Sim Updates. You can delete them and restart your computer, when they’ll be regenerated automatically. To do this, type Credential into the taskbar search window. Click on Credential Manager. Click on Windows Credentials. Click on each entry beginning with XblGrts and select Remove - there are a lot of them, but it beats a full re-install! Close Credential Manager and reboot your PC.

1 Like

Re-Installing now

Looks like I have spent FAR TOO MUCH time in the past 3 year, with MSFS 8321 Hours ($85K at minimum wage !! )

That’s about 5 hours a day for the past 3 years !!!
I suspect many do not appreciate just how time a 3PD spends working in MSFS !!!

THANK YOU so much.
I am doing a Dirty full Install, having saved everything apart from the 1st base Install part of the Install, so will see what that does

Restoring that data takes about 5 minutes, as opposed to 5 Hours to download it all again

SUCCESS !!

A “Dirty Install” fixed the issue… did not have to mess with any "X-box Credentials?

So it seemed to be something in the base sim in C:MSFS that was messed up, and not anything in the backed-up/restored 196 GB

“C:\Users[USER-NAME]\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe”

Great to know going forward, should this happen again (and I am sure it will)

1 Like

I had this for the first time yesterday and a simple restart of the PC fixed it for me.

Lucky you – I have had it 3 times in the past 2 weeks, and re-starting the PC did not fix it for me.

Next time, I will have a full HD Image backup, so when I get it working again, I’ll be able to see where differences are !!!

You did ask!

I am glad you’re back in the air!

Yes, thanks to all all who responded with help.

Having my hand held through the process, and knowing others have had experienced a similar thing, was most reassuring … Thank you all :two_hearts:

but I am still curious EXACTLY what got corrupted and how.

Will probably remain one of MSFS’s many secrets

3 Likes

Hang on… are PC users supposed to be greeted with the ‘press any key to start’ screen? When on Xbox this was the norm but since I hopped over to PC, I never get it — it goes from Asobo/Blackshark/whatever that text screen is, straight to the very brief update screen, then onto the Dune expansion loading screen. Then eventually, the main menu appears.