Programming the sim

I decided to try programming some custom content and interfaces for msfs2020. I wanted to use touchPortal running on a cheap Android tablet. I wanted to push buttons on my tablet instead of clicking on buttons in the menu. I was successful in this endeavor using a few python modules. I was able to add both voice command recognition and text to speech for stating any notifications or other info. I even added a kind of tour guide that informs me when airports/cities/landmarks/fauna are near.

That project took two days.

In addition, I wanted to manipulate AI planes and other sim objects. I found that the only way I could do that directly was through C++.

My first attempt was to repeat in C++ the same features I had already accomplished in python. So far, I’m three weeks in and I haven’t even gotten to using TP on the tablet or using either of the voice features. Everything is so much more difficult in C++ than python!

However, I made progress. I have been able to set waypoints for planes I create. I can take control of them and fly them around. I’m having a lot of fun filling my skies with AI VFR.

However, it is more than obvious that the SDK is a mess. I have found a lot of errors in both documentation and example code. A lot of data is not available for AI planes. At least one plane (VL3 Asobo) refuses to fly waypoints even though a DA62 will, using the otherwise exact same code.

I see some addon products out there that show all kinds of functionality that I also haven’t been able to figure out and so I ask, is there some special book I must read, some special web site I must access, some secret organization that I must join in order to obtain accurate information about how the simconnect/wasm should be programmed?

I have spent hours in trial and error attempts to get features to work. I’ve been about half successful. I now feel like I’m spinning my wheels.

I’m not a developer. I’m a programmer doing this for fun so I figure joining the dev group would most likely be frowned upon.

Anyone taking pity on this old programmer hobbyist?

Thank you for your post! Your topic has been moved to a sub-category of the User Support Hub

The General Discussion category is meant for discussions that fall outside of our other sub-categories.

If you would like other users to help you with an issue you are experiencing in the sim, consider these User Support Hub categories for your future post:

Aircraft & Systems
ATC, Traffic & NAVAIDs
Crashes (CTDs)
Hardware & Peripherals
Install, Performance & Graphics
Scenery & Airports
User Interface & Activities
Virtual Reality (VR)
Weather & Live Weather
Miscellaneous

1 Like

I am the author of a flight planner, using Sim Connect. It is in C#. You can download demo code of how I used Sim Connect at my webpage.

1 Like