Propwash effect on elevator

There are many reasons why MSFS is better than Xplane (photoreal and autogen scenery and weather engine) but many things why not.
One of the problems that bothers me as flight instructor is the missing propwash effect on elevator.

In real life, the propwash effect on the elevator, causes negative lift and add moment to nose up
so:
when add power with throttle, the nose go up ​
when reduce power with throttle, the nose go down

One of the difficulties of student pilots on landing approche is to maintain picth attitude and re-trimmed the aircraft when add or reduce power to correct for the glide path.

In MSFS, when add some power on final approach, first the aircraft gain airspeed ant then the nose go up slowly so almost no forward/back pressure on the yoke is needed!

I did an experiment:

I use MSFS, Xplane and real C-172 and I trimmed the aircraft for gliding at 70 KIAS.
Than I push the throttle for full power without any of control input.
In Xplann and real aircraft, the nose immediately go up above horizon and the airspeed rise to 75 and than slow to 60 and 50 during left tendency.
In MSFS, the Immediate response is airspeed rise to 90 and then the nose go up so the airspeed go slow to 80… 70… 60 after few seconds.

This is not the correct behavior of this type of aircraft.

and it’s a shame that Microsoft’s flight simulator has a lot of advantages.

Here is a video from my experiment:

7 Likes

The video demonstrates what your talking about very well.
There are quite a number of significant innacuracies in the flight model and physics in MSFS. For realism I would stick to XP11 and for casual VFR with amazing visuals, MSFS.

2 Likes

I guess this sort of modeling would fall under the following section in the SDK about the flight model physics:

Maybe this is just not implemented well, or has been disabled.

@Tomerhm

Can’t confirm your findings. Did you perform these tests with SU IV and the flight model set to modern?

My test showed a very similar behavior with flaps up and down from a glide at 70kts.

Adding full power results in immediate pitch up and a speed increase to ~75kts.
Minimum speed I’m seing during this maneuver is ~45kts.

Btw. prop wash is only a minor factor for the pitch change with power changes, IRL and in the sim.

Additionally tried with the CG at fwd and aft limit and there was no significant difference.

Note: After installing SU IV I observed strange aircraft behavior with the Extra and the Pitts.
I had to switch to the Legacy flight model and back to Modern to get the correct FDM back.

1 Like

Suggest to do the same test for yourself, since the results apparently don’t even remotely match.

Try it with the JF PA28 or even the Islander. These are the best in my book to get the concept over.