PSA: LOD Slider Can Be Increased Past 200 - Dramatically Improves Photogrammatery

By any chance is it in App Data>Roaming>Microsoft Flight Simulator
I’m using the version purchased through the Windows store so it might be different for you

1 Like

thanks for the trick. How did it impact on your DL? I assume that increasing drawing distance also increases bandwidth consumption. I am wondering by how much.

Ah poopoo. Ignore me. Folder list wasn’t sorted alphbetically.

Found it now. :rofl:

2 Likes

I havent tested it yet but I can only assume it would simply double if it was changed to 4.0, hoping i get time later to test it a bit more and find out :slight_smile:

Hmm. If it’s a radius (which I think it might be) then it will be the square of the increase, so change from 2 to 4 will be 4 times the data…

1 Like

Thank you mate. You are taking the time for the good of everyone.

Weird. I set terrain to 5 and objects to 6.5 and don’t seem to notice a huge difference. Performance is about the same too. SLC as my test bed.

How is it saving mine is switching back to 1.0 when restarting the sim

Have you set the file to read only after you’ve made the change? Might also be worth setting it to 200 in game, then changing the CFG. In game it will still show at 200 in the options even if you have edited the file

Where did u find this terrible obscure image host that makes you click again to open high res?

6 Likes

The first Google result…

1 Like

It seems to me that they set their max LOD level to overstretch 16GB RAM systems not to much.

But nice to know. Will check it out, there is enough RAM here :wink:

Exactly my thoughts, we be good to get another couple of comparisons if you get chance :+1:

Very nice find.

When you set it to read only, does this prevent you from making changes to graphics settings from inside the sim? (settings screen)

Haven’t tested it yet, I’d imagine that either the changes you make dont have any effect or the file would somehow be overwritten completely. Would be good to know though

1 Like

I think when you change settings in sim, it doesn’t save them. I did a quick test, changed settings and saved, exited the sim, reloaded it, settings were back to what they were before I changed them. Not 100% sure though, just did a one time test. Still playing with LOD settings. 22GB RAM usage and some stutters when going to 6. Not sure I see a HUGE difference like you guys though. A320 and LAX, settings on Ultra.

1 Like

For me the biggest different is in how the photogrammatery starts to change to a higher level of detail further out. Previously you could end up almost on top of it before it changes from the horrible melted looking textures

4 Likes

have u guys noticed more CTDs after this? I keep crashing changing the weather

Hi, live weather/preset weather was one thing I checked and it didn’t seem to interfere, is it possible that you’re going too far over your RAM/VRAM limit?