PSA: NVidia has found the root cause of stuttering and VR performance in their drivers!

I have installed now the 461.40 drivers (newest) to test my new 3090. Butter smooth flying with the Index in High settings wit SS200 and TAA100. I stay with them

1 Like

I also tried 461.40, but back to stutters, even while getting 45fps in VR

This is really peculiar but an opportunity to maybe find some solutions.

Can you please both post your NVidia CPL Settings so that we can cross-check whether there is something causing this here?

Can you also tell whether you’re enabling HAGS, Variable Refresh Rate, Game Mode ?

ex:
fs2020_settings_nvidia3

HAGS off, Game Mode Off, Variable Rate Off

3 Likes

After all I made this morning, I personally decided to stop making VR tests with MSFS, too frustrating. Even with good drivers, at low settings to get 30fps locked ASW, CPU at less than 50% usage each cores, and GPU at 55% usage, so with lot of headroom, and the game stutter like hell, waving fps, unplayable for me.
I’ll wait the next update… Let’s keep hope!

I too just had a buttery smooth flight yesterday after wrestling with settings and drivers since December. This is for cessna 172 - so the big airliners with more complex cockpits will prob need to dial settings back a bit. I fly out of seatac so the first part of flight has a good amount of scenary but its not NY in terms of complexity. Recent updates seem to have improved things for me. Most game settings were on ultra including texture resolution. I can get by with less frame rates than most at 22.5 fps so maybe some will say not good enough. Machine is 7940x, 2080 TI, 32 gb ram. Driver is 461.40, latest steam vr beta that was recently pushed, hags off, smoothing on, nvidia settings about same as those posted above, ss in steam vr is set to 150 and level of detail in game at 100. I can read cockpit instruments without leaning forward and the outside is very clear. Now if ms would just let me turn the haze or aerosol off and let me decide how bad of performance i get from rendering to the horizon. Ive not been able to get clear weather (live or otherwise) in the game for a few weeks now. I used to see mt ranier from seatac but no more. I suspect they installed permanent haze so people would stop complaining about frame rates…maybe. One other piece of potentially useful info is that for me the game ran better on ultra vs high settings (but note i had ultra texture resolution on in both cases…ie the setting that requires game restart to change). I had seen this before in my earlier trials that ultra ran better confirming what a few others have reported too. Hope some of this info helps somebody else.

1 Like

I also noticed that annoying distant haze anywhere, anytime, any setting. Of course there is allmost some moisture in the atmosphere but in an rear weather condition f.e. the sky should be very clear and transparent. And the higher you go the clearer becomes the sky.

Smells like an “Xbox performance optimization” victim.

:pray: :pray: Dear devs, please dont sacrifice that sim on the Xbox altar. :pray: :pray:

3 Likes

I had try 461.40 again, with all the possibility with HAGS and Game Mode; ON/ON, ON/OFF, OFF/ON, OFF/OFF, I had use the same NVidia CPL Settings from Dawu777, I use my own setting NVidia CPL and no succes

I can see a improvement with 461.40, I can see less stutter but the best driver for me is 457.30.

My spec:
AMD 5800X and MSI 3090 Gaming X

2 Likes

Hopefully it shouldn’t be long, both WMR OXR and FS2020 (SteamVR 1.16.6 yesterday and all flying good for me with it, in fact, much better than the G2 even if I render more pixels when using the Index! - I’ll post an update today in “My VR Settings - Index” about this).

2 Likes

Thank god, i thought i was going mad as swear I couldn’t see as clearly as normal.

Does anybody know when Nvidia will release an updated working driver? I assume 457.30 is currently still the most stable on for VR?

For me I still keep the 457.30 driver. I’m still waiting for NVIDIA for a new driver but they don’t seems to care about VR

2 Likes

When the developers will finally decide to have a good working relationship with Nvidia. Perhaps I am wrong but I am not aware of any interaction to better driver performance or optimisations in the sim so far!
Might be a good question to ask in the dev updates perhaps.

1 Like

Still on 457.30 for Reverb G2 and 3080. No complaints, but at some point I’m going to want to play some new PC game that requires newer drivers, so I hope Nvidia addresses this issue for WMR/G2 users at some point.

Haven’t seen any comments about 461.72, but I assume that didn’t fix anything since… I haven’t seen any comments about 461.72. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

There’s some black magic surrounding driver versions. 457.30 is the closest we have to a consensus on what is the most safe, reliable driver. Me and a couple others tried to science out some sort of bottom line between 457.30 and newer drivers, HAGS, etc, and the results weren’t definitively conclusive, but we all ended up sticking to 457.30 after days of testing newer drivers.

5 Likes

I’m running 446.14. It has a little less stuttering than 457.30 for me (or perhaps it’s a placebo). That doesn’t help for 30 series users, though.

This is a really interesting discovery… I wonder if the Nvidia driver’s CPU overhead is at all related to the stuttering we are seeing in VR - would be interesting to compare CPU utilisation on some of the known better-for-VR old drivers vs the newer problematic ones. It’s worth noting this testing was done in DX12 though, whether the same is true of DX11 isn’t entirely clear (and would be hard to quantify as even if CPU overhead stayed the same, if by comparison AMD is worse in DX11 then the baselines for comparison would move too even if Nvidia’s overhead actually remained the same).

5 Likes

very interesting

AMD seems to perform the same in MSFS based on testing, so I really doubt it.

Not talking about the overall performance here so much as the subject of the thread - the long standing Nvidia specific bug with stutters in VR especially when using monitoring programs which cause CPU interrupts. I don’t believe AMD have any such open issue (although yes from what I have seen their overall performance is overall worse specifically in VR for MSFS).

Total speculation, I’m just curious if the CPU driver overhead is different for newer drivers (sadly HWUB didn’t test older drivers - understandably given the scale of the tests already) and whether that has any relationship with the interrupt issue caused by hardware monitoring software and more recent Nvidia drivers.