PSA: Reverb G2 small sweet spots, observations and solutions

Hold on with this, I’m trying another pair of glasses which are incredibly better, I’ll post more about this in a few.

Update:

I’ve now tried another model which is much more comfortable on the bridge for me (no pads pressing the nose):
Paolo Semi Rimless Reading Glasses for Men | Foster Grant

R: 52 [] 17-140 PD62MM +2.00
L: CT1110 Paolo BLK

I’ve also measured the FOV and all the other tests with:
Steam Workshop::ROV Test FOV & Resolution

I reach HFOV 98 (didn’t bother with VFOV) and all the panels are clear of any CA and other deformations. I can nearly read left to right on a 85 deg from center (albeit fuzzy a little bit toward the edges as expected but legible enough yet). I believe these have a lens IPD of 62 and since I’m 64 this might explain why they are better. (I never paid attention to these markings, thank you for asking!!)

These glasses are better then he previous ones in comfort and clarity to me and this again tells me the G2 optics are designed for wearing glasses for glass wearers.

When using the Frankenmask you’re only putting your eyes in a different focal point which is compensating but at the expense of creating more distortions. These distortions might not appear as pincushion or barrel, but as white lines dedoubling because of a 2nd factor playing here: the WMR anti-CA filter which is pre-distorting the RGB planes so that lenses refraction put them back together.

Please note if I rotate the headset something about maybe 2 or 3deg pressing on the nose and pulling out the forehead at the same time, and if I adjust the headset to put my eyes slightly above the G2 lens center (you can see where on the fresnel) and without wearing glasses, I can read a clear view without much eye effort but with yellow and blue fringes showing up around dark lines over white. I can reverse the angle and then put the eyes on the opposite offset vertically from the lenses centers and again I can see the same clear with fringes. If I put the eyes back over the fresnel centers, no matter the angle nose pressing or forehead pressing, the image is less sharp but there are no fringes.

1 Like